The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little easy trivia for those who dare.

4 posters

Go down

A little easy trivia for those who dare.  Empty A little easy trivia for those who dare.

Post  Frank Sat May 25, 2013 10:19 am

1.How many times was Marvin Hagler knocked down?

2.Name 5 opponents that Muhammad Ali fought more than once.

3.Sugar Ray Robinson: “I’m too pretty to fight -____ : Complete the sentence.

4.How many 1st and 2nd round KOs did Ken Norton suffer? Who were the fighters?

5.One fighter fought for the HW championship a number of times against 3 HOF fighters. 2 title fights against Joe Louis: 4 against Ezzard Charles and 2 against Rocky Marciano. Who was this fighter?

6.Who did Lupe Pintor defeat for the Bantamweight title in a disputed decision?

7.Who was the idol of Joe Louis?

8.Who was the last undisputed HW Champion prior to Mike Tyson?

9.What famous writer coined the phrase, “Great White Hope?” What was the act that he felt provoked him into creating the term?

10.Was there ever a Pay Per View fight between a famous wrestler and HW Champion? If so, who were the combatants?

11. What famous HW Champion did promoter "Tex Rickard" promote?

12. Who was Johnny Paycheck?

13. What 3 time Word Champion won his 1st title at age 17?

14. How many times was Rocky Marciano's nose broken in a professional fight?

15. Who was Tunny Hunsaker?

16. How many times did my crazy, freaked out bitch of a sister beat her husband before he knocked the hell out of her and filed for divorce? (Ok, I've run out of questions.)

Frank

Back to top Go down

A little easy trivia for those who dare.  Empty Re: A little easy trivia for those who dare.

Post  dmar5143 Sat May 25, 2013 12:50 pm

1. once.2.spinks liston frazier Norton I think quarry.5.joe Walcott.4.off the top of my head cooney shavers foreman all scored early kos over Norton.8. mike spinks as far as im concerned.10.yes ali and the jap wressler.11.dempsey.14.once that I know of.any number beyond 2 or so is plain fiction.12.one of joe Louis bum of the month club defences.13.benitiz.15. I think that was alis first pro fight.thoses are off the top of my head.no peeking guys.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

A little easy trivia for those who dare.  Empty Re: A little easy trivia for those who dare.

Post  dmar5143 Sat May 25, 2013 1:00 pm

on number 7 I don't know but I know for sure it wasn't jack Johnson..a wild guess either sam Langford or joe gans.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun May 26, 2013 8:37 am

dmar5143 wrote:on number 7 I don't know but I know for sure it wasn't jack Johnson..a wild guess either sam Langford or joe gans.
It was Sam Langford.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun May 26, 2013 8:48 am

Frank wrote:1.How many times was Marvin Hagler knocked down? 0

2.Name 5 opponents that Muhammad Ali fought more than once. Henry Cooper, Sonny Liston, Floyd Patterson, George Chuvalo, Jerry Quarry, Joe Frazier, Joe Bugner, Ken Norton, Leon Spinks.

3.Sugar Ray Robinson: “I’m too pretty to fight -____ : Complete the sentence. Charlie Burley

4.How many 1st and 2nd round KOs did Ken Norton suffer? Who were the fighters? 1. Foreman KO2 Norton 2. Shavers KO1 Norton 3. Cooney KO1 Norton

5.One fighter fought for the HW championship a number of times against 3 HOF fighters. 2 title fights against Joe Louis: 4 against Ezzard Charles and 2 against Rocky Marciano. Who was this fighter? Jersey Joe Walcott

6.Who did Lupe Pintor defeat for the Bantamweight title in a disputed decision? Carlos Zarate

7.Who was the idol of Joe Louis? Sam Langford

8.Who was the last undisputed HW Champion prior to Mike Tyson? Leon Spinks

9.What famous writer coined the phrase, “Great White Hope?” What was the act that he felt provoked him into creating the term? Jack London. After Jack Johnson spit in his face from the ring, London went on a crusade to find a "Great White Hope" to defeat him. James J. Jeffries came off of his Alfalfa farm and was nearly killed by Johnson.

10.Was there ever a Pay Per View fight between a famous wrestler and HW Champion? If so, who were the combatants? Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki.

11. What famous HW Champion did promoter "Tex Rickard" promote? Jack Dempsey

12. Who was Johnny Paycheck? Johnny Paycheck challenged Joe Louis for the HW title and was knocked out in 2 rounds. He is generally known as the worst fighter to ever challenge for the title. I see a movie in the making. LOL

13. What 3 time Word Champion won his 1st title at age 17? Wilfred Benitez defeated Antonio Cervantes for the Jr. Welterweight Championship at age 17 by UD.

14. How many times was Rocky Marciano's nose broken in a professional fight? 17

15. Who was Tunny Hunsaker? Muhammad Ali's first opponent as a professional fighter was Louisville Police Chief Tunny Hunsaker.

16. How many times did my crazy, freaked out bitch of a sister beat her husband before he knocked the hell out of her and filed for divorce? (Ok, I've run out of questions.)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 am

dmar5143 wrote:1. once.2.spinks liston frazier Norton I think quarry.5.joe Walcott.4.off the top of my head cooney shavers foreman all scored early kos over Norton.8. mike spinks as far as im concerned.10.yes ali and the jap wressler.11.dempsey.14.once that I know of.any number beyond 2 or so is plain fiction.12.one of joe Louis bum of the month club defences.13.benitiz.15. I think that was alis first pro fight.thoses are off the top of my head.no peeking guys.
I wasn't alive back then, however 17 was the number quoted by KO Magazine. If they're wrong, they're wrong. LOL Hell, The Rock retired undefeated. If he got his nose broken 17 times, that makes him the toughest guy to ever fight.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 am

Frank wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:1. once.2.spinks liston frazier Norton I think quarry.5.joe Walcott.4.off the top of my head cooney shavers foreman all scored early kos over Norton.8. mike spinks as far as im concerned.10.yes ali and the jap wressler.11.dempsey.14.once that I know of.any number beyond 2 or so is plain fiction.12.one of joe Louis bum of the month club defences.13.benitiz.15. I think that was alis first pro fight.thoses are off the top of my head.no peeking guys.
I wasn't alive back then, however 17 was the number quoted by KO Magazine. If they're wrong, they're wrong. LOL Hell, The Rock retired undefeated. If he got his nose broken 17 times, that makes him the toughest guy to ever fight.
...frank I think roldan is credited with a knockdown of hagler officaly..2. paycheck was bad but the worst ever to fight for a heavy title my vote goes to Finnegan jim Jeffries first defence..ko magazine is full of shit.thats an example of several writers threw history that don't know what there talking about. charles splitting rocks nose is the only time I think it was broken per say.in all of rocks big fights moore Charles twice Louis Walcott twice layne vingo lastarza twice cockell Matthews savold renolds no where was his nose broken.he scored starting out several first or second round kos by destroying guys.how they came up with 17 is a disgrace.id love to see that ignorant writer list the 17.in over 9 bios ive read on rocky somehow all the authors failed to mention that at all.another example was ring mags greatest middle champ ever bo -hop.stumble bum sturm I think was ranked 5 or 7 and he was never a legit middle champ.an example of ring mag giving legitimacy to abc phoney trinkets where everybody well almost is a champ or former champ.
by the way in a major poll Marciano indeed was voted the toughest fighter that ever lived by todays fans.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun May 26, 2013 10:35 am

dmar5143 wrote:
Frank wrote:
...frank I think roldan is credited with a knockdown of hagler officaly..2. paycheck was bad but the worst ever to fight for a heavy title my vote goes to Finnegan jim Jeffries first defence..ko magazine is full of shit.thats an example of several writers threw history that don't know what there talking about. charles splitting rocks nose is the only time I think it was broken per say.in all of rocks big fights moore Charles twice Louis Walcott twice layne vingo lastarza twice cockell Matthews savold renolds no where was his nose broken.he scored starting out several first or second round kos by destroying guys.how they came up with 17 is a disgrace.id love to see that ignorant writer list the 17.in over 9 bios ive read on rocky somehow all the authors failed to mention that at all.another example was ring mags greatest middle champ ever bo -hop.stumble bum sturm I think was ranked 5 or 7 and he was never a legit middle champ.an example of ring mag giving legitimacy to abc phoney trinkets where everybody well almost is a champ or former champ.
by the way in a major poll Marciano indeed was voted the toughest fighter that ever lived by todays fans.
I'm confused at your comment about Roldan. Maybe I have to look at the fight again. / I lived my whole boxing life thinking that the Rock's nose was broken 17 times. I honestly don't see the problem, however if you're right, you're right. Look it up on the net. In the fight you're referring to with Ezzard Charles, his nose was split up the middle and it had the appearance of a pig's snout. It was scary, nevetheless Marciano won. He was superhuman where his pain threshold was concerned. / Dmar, you're very passionate about Marciano. That's your guy. I understand. My guys are Ali and Leonard. However the more time goes by, the more I tire of them. LOL They were both a bit arrogant in their own way. However, I still like them. Nobody's perfect and at least Ali was funny. / I would really like to know about your experience as a Rocky fan. Did you ever meet him? Did you ever know anyone who did?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun May 26, 2013 10:39 am

dmar5143 wrote:
Frank wrote:
Are you fucking serious????? B Hop, the greatest MW champ ever??? They must have 15 year olds running that magazine now. LOL / Ok Dmar, I'll make a deal with you. Never again will Marciano appear in my list of trivia questions. I would ask who was the only HW Champ who retired undefeated, but I think that's common knowledge by now.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun May 26, 2013 11:26 am

frank I knew several who have met rocky including yours truly.i had a few one on one talks with him about boxing and one was a good hour long.going by memory since I saw that fight only once live on tv roldan indeed was officaly credited with a knockdown of marvin although I felt the knockdown was suspect.
frank believing ko magazine and the 17 times rock broke his nose is not your fault.its the mags fault for printing total fiction and I don't need to look it up on the internet.lol after all the internet is loaded only with truth.
my problem is with so called experts that don't know what there talking about.common sence proves them full of shit.going from memory 13 out of rockys first 15 fights ended with a one or 2 round ko.several under 2 minutes and several by a one punch ko.its highly unlikely he got a broken nose in thoses fights.i gave you 14 fights his bigger ones and only Charles split his nose.that leaves 20 fights left so that means 16 out of thoses 20 fights he got a broken nose yet fought a month or so later each and every time.
rocky used to stop in my home town Utica ny when he was on his way to Syracuse either to see a fight or to visit Carmen basilio.each time he would visit the great bantamweight of the 20s bushy graham and his brother Frankie.rocky also did several promotions for the local business there including the state street mill and venturas restraunt a legendary Italian restraunt and the colorfull rufie ventura who was friends with the rock as well as joe dimaggio.
everyone said the same thing.what a gentleman and a humble guy who never forgot his roots..thats the reasons why im a huge fan of his.being a all time great yes is a good reason but its the humility he had and gentleness.his knowledge of boxing history and also fighters of the day was accurate and remarkable.he never bad mouthed a opponent at all and never had a unkind word to say about them.he said on more then one time I prefer to do my fighting in the ring not in the newspapers.
he had the ultimate respect for fighters including Louis Walcott Charles beau jack georgie abrahms willie pep Dempsey and a few others that came up in our talks.thoses are several reasons why several of us from my generation are were and still are big fans of his.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:12 am

Marvin was never knocked down in his professional or amateur career. Juan Roldan was credited with a knockdown of Hagler in thier fight after he pulled Marvin down by the back of his neck. My good friend Arthur Mercante was the referee. After watching the replay he simply said "I missed the call, what can I say? It looked to me like the punch landed in real time". He came to the locker-room after the fight and apologized to Marvin. Marvin barely acknowledged him. He was PISSED off about it for a couple days. One of the things Marvin was privately proud of though he never actually said it, was that nobody ever got him off his feet EVER.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 am

Here is a little Marciano Trivia for you. Despite being labled as a "bleeder" Marciano was cut in his fights the same number of times that Evander Holyfield was. He was also cut less often than Mike Tyson

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:18 am

Boxing was a widely romanticized and exxagerated sport in the early days. Right around the late 60s-70s is when fact over-took fiction in boxing writing.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 am

BL welcome back and thanks for verifying my memory.the knockdown of haggler I felt at that time indeed was suspect and what mercante said proves it.although lol its considered a official knockdown hagler indeed should be proud he was never off his feet in reality.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Welcome back BL.

I go with reality.

For example, Muhammad Ali was knocked down 3 times. The three fighters who accomplished this were Sonny Banks, Henry Cooper and Joe Frazier. Of course the record books say 4, and credit Chuck Wepner with a knockdown. Wepner stepped on his foot and Tony Perez made a mistake in ruling that a knockdown. Though the record books list Tony's admitted mistake as a knockdown, I do not.

Marvin Hagler was never knocked off his feet. Arthur M's mistake doesn't change that fact.

Some may disagree with my approach, but I see what I see, I hear what I hear and then I make up my mind.

(It should be noted that I only challenge the record books in EXTREME cases.)

Last edited by Frank on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Question for BL. Did you ever hear of the street fight between Don Wigfall and Marvin Hagler?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Frank wrote:Question for BL. Did you ever hear of the street fight between Don Wigfall and Marvin Hagler?

Don't mean to butt in here. Kimball speaks of this in "Four Kings" on page 23. Evidently, Dornell Wigfall was a bad dude in Brockton and beat Hagler's ass twice. The second time was at a party in front of people prompting Hagler to join a gym the next day. The rest is history.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5Og2QwoAgKoC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=four+kings+dornell+wigfall&source=bl&ots=3MqrcZEgGs&sig=U5-7TFS2JKKANdxTmam0Q6drWug&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4pyrUdWbNMvG0AGq4oGYDQ&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=four%20kings%20dornell%20wigfall&f=false
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Frank wrote:Question for BL. Did you ever hear of the street fight between Don Wigfall and Marvin Hagler?

Don't mean to butt in here. Kimball speaks of this in "Four Kings" on page 23. Evidently, Dornell Wigfall was a bad dude in Brockton and beat Hagler's ass twice. The second time was at a party in front of people prompting Hagler to join a gym the next day. The rest is history.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5Og2QwoAgKoC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=four+kings+dornell+wigfall&source=bl&ots=3MqrcZEgGs&sig=U5-7TFS2JKKANdxTmam0Q6drWug&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4pyrUdWbNMvG0AGq4oGYDQ&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=four%20kings%20dornell%20wigfall&f=false
Hardcore, thanks a mil for the article. If it wasnt' for that, my recollection of the events as told to me would've been repudiated and dismissed. I heard about those events from a damn good source. Thanks again.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Frank wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

Hardcore, thanks a mil for the article. If it wasnt' for that, my recollection of the events as told to me would've been repudiated and dismissed. I heard about those events from a damn good source. Thanks again.

No problem, Four Kings has an excellent index section. Google is incredible that one can post the exact page I found in the index.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down