The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikey Garcia took the easy way out

+4
dmar5143
kbyte
powerpuncher
Diego408
8 posters

Go down

Mikey Garcia took the easy way out Empty Mikey Garcia took the easy way out

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:31 am

In the first 6 rounds Garcia was overly dominant over Salido who is one hellava fighter. However, Mikey Garcia was breaking down in the second half of that fight. Even though Garcia won the first 6 rounds on my card, momentum changed in round 6, and Salido easily won Round 7 and 8. Salido was closing distance and was having success. Mikey was back peddling a lot and not letting his hands go. In the last 2 rounds Salido was tagging Garcia a lot and he was wearing out. I dont believe Salido was trying to break his nose, but he intentionally used his head to create damage on Garcia. It was an awful move and cost him a chance of a slight comeback becuase Garcia chose not to fight with the damage from the headbutt. Its a bad way of winning your first championship. Garcia should have finished Salido when he had a chance because Salido has a thing for coming back after being dropped a few times in a fight. The win isn't as sweet as it should have been for Garcia. The relentless Salido was coming back and Garcia chose to stop because of it.

People want to compare Mikey Garcia to Juan Manuel Marquez, but no way. JMM fought 12 rounds with a broken nose against the biggest puncher the featherweight division has ever seen. Fighters now seem to want the easy way out instead of pulling out a tough victory that will gain you the respect of everyone in the boxing world. What a horrible ending. had that fight continued, it would have been very entertaining.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Mikey Garcia took the easy way out Empty Re: Mikey Garcia took the easy way out

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 am

the question is, did he say no more or did the doctors call it off? because from what i saw, i thought the doctor called off the fight. i could be wrong though. was he asked if he wanted to continue?

i agree that salido started coming on later but i still think that garcia was still doing enough to win the last 2 or so rounds although they could have gone either way. obviously anything could have happened, but from what i saw, garcia would have still won the fight pretty easily. he never looked in trouble at all to me. salido intentionally butted garcia which resulted in a stoppage. it is what it is. lets say for example, garcia keeps fighting but it starts getting very difficult to breathe and so he gets winded qiuckly and then gets stopped? then i would say that is unfair to garcia because salido intentionally butted him which gave him a disadvantage. i didnt at all mind that it was stopped. i feel bad for garcia though because it tainted the win in a way. hopefully there is a rematch though.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:05 pm

The doctor just said to stop it. You know what, even if Garcia had said "look, its hard to breathe so I don't want to continue, lets just go to the scorecards" I wouldn't have cared.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm

kbyte wrote:The doctor just said to stop it. You know what, even if Garcia had said "look, its hard to breathe so I don't want to continue, lets just go to the scorecards" I wouldn't have cared.
..good point.garcia took no easy way out.he beat the hell out of salido decking him what 4 times.he was in command at all times including the little rally in brief moments by salido.again a headbutt caused the damage.it looked on purpose.salido took the easy way out if anyone did.if it had caused a cut and it went to the cards no one would have a problem with that.nor should they with this.salido yes fought even when he got clobbered but merits no rematch.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:19 pm

This fight reminds me of the Abraham-Dirrell fight in the result. The guy dominating the fight won inside the distance because of a possible intentional foul. The loser was gaining momentum in both fights. I think Salido would have won a respectable amount of rounds on the cards but I just didn't see him finishing off Garcia. It is the same way I thought about Abraham. He was going to win the last 2 rounds against Dirrell but needed the KO that he probably wasn't going to get. I also agree that the dr stopped it although Mikey didn't really show the doc any reason to keep the fighting going. I would've preferred Garcia to at least ask for the fight to continue.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Mikey stayed on his stool like a true mexican. Nothing wrong with following your roots.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Garcia should have at least given it one more round IMO. If he truly couldn't breath then quit. I also think Robert Garcia is quick to stop a fight or call a doctor now after what happened with Pac Margarito and the criticism he endured after that fight. This does however open the door for a rematch later in the year, Garcia said he'd give Salido one and Salido and his manager said that they want one.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  boxing prospect Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

No problem with Garcia doing what he had every right to do. Can you imagine many current top boxers going on with that sort of injury?

boxing prospect

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:25 am

boxing prospect wrote:No problem with Garcia doing what he had every right to do. Can you imagine many current top boxers going on with that sort of injury?
a lot of fighters do but usually caused by a punch. if it were caused by a punch and he quit then i would lose some respect for him. but a foul i understand.

welcome by the way.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  boxing prospect Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:49 am

powerpuncher wrote:
boxing prospect wrote:No problem with Garcia doing what he had every right to do. Can you imagine many current top boxers going on with that sort of injury?
a lot of fighters do but usually caused by a punch. if it were caused by a punch and he quit then i would lose some respect for him. but a foul i understand.

welcome by the way.

Sorry by "that sort of injury" I wasn't just talking about the broken nose but how it occurred as well. I couldn't imagine any one, who was well ahead on the card, fighting on with a broken nose caused by an accidental foul. Had Garcia been behind I imagine he'd have continued though.

I'm glad to be here, thanks Smile

boxing prospect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down