The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My thoughts on khan and roach

+5
hardcorebee24
GrantZilla
Diego408
captainanddew
powerpuncher
9 posters

Go down

My thoughts on khan and roach Empty My thoughts on khan and roach

Post  powerpuncher Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:07 am

i will start with roach. i dont think that roach is a good trainer for fighters like khan or linares. his training style doesnt do well with people who cant take a punch well. both of those fighters need to box and use their speed effectively, but they both tend to brawl for some reason. roach i think has done well for manny because of styles. i still think that roach is a good trainer but for a specific style. just like emmanuel stewart is better for tall and long fighters. so i think khan needs a new trainer unless roach is going to teach him to box more and be a better defensive fighter.

khan is a good boxer but again, needs a new trainer. i think that with the right trainer, he could be a lot more effective and live up to his potential. i thought that his post fight interview made him sound like a baby. it was a close fight that he shouldnt have let be that close. and for the record, i thought that the ref was great. i didnt think that the point deductions were out of line because i cant remember the last time i saw a fighter push that many times. the ref kept it clean but let them fight. if you dont think that he was a good ref then i dont know what you want in a ref.

overall, khan needs a new trainer to help him fight a style that will avoid getting hit that much and avoid getting into brawls. he has a ton of talent and i hope that he has success, but i just dont see him getting there with roach.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

My thoughts on khan and roach Empty Re: My thoughts on khan and roach

Post  captainanddew Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:15 am

powerpuncher wrote:i will start with roach. i dont think that roach is a good trainer for fighters like khan or linares. his training style doesnt do well with people who cant take a punch well. both of those fighters need to box and use their speed effectively, but they both tend to brawl for some reason. roach i think has done well for manny because of styles. i still think that roach is a good trainer but for a specific style. just like emmanuel stewart is better for tall and long fighters. so i think khan needs a new trainer unless roach is going to teach him to box more and be a better defensive fighter.

khan is a good boxer but again, needs a new trainer. i think that with the right trainer, he could be a lot more effective and live up to his potential. i thought that his post fight interview made him sound like a baby. it was a close fight that he shouldnt have let be that close. and for the record, i thought that the ref was great. i didnt think that the point deductions were out of line because i cant remember the last time i saw a fighter push that many times. the ref kept it clean but let them fight. if you dont think that he was a good ref then i dont know what you want in a ref.

overall, khan needs a new trainer to help him fight a style that will avoid getting hit that much and avoid getting into brawls. he has a ton of talent and i hope that he has success, but i just dont see him getting there with roach.

Khan did sound like a baby in the post fight. I understand guys get punched in the face and body for a living and can't be expected to be scholars in their post fight interview, but couldn't he just have said something like, "Lamont Peterson is a tough fighter. I still thought I did enough to win the fight. I disagree with the ref's point deductions. I would like a rematch."

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:23 am

Can needs to learn how to fight while on the defensive, and it's something all Roach fighters lack. I've seen their sparring and they allow each other to tee off on each other like its the rocky movies, but they allow it to happen in an acual boxing match, not only in wild card sparring. Khan just doesn't know how to defend himself well. He lets himself get bullied on the ropes. He's not a very physical fighter.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:25 am

powerpuncher wrote: i still think that roach is a good trainer but for a specific style. just like emmanuel stewart is better for tall and long fighters. so i think khan needs a new trainer unless roach is going to teach him to box more and be a better defensive fighter

And that's who should be training Khan.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:03 am

GrantZilla wrote:
powerpuncher wrote: i still think that roach is a good trainer but for a specific style. just like emmanuel stewart is better for tall and long fighters. so i think khan needs a new trainer unless roach is going to teach him to box more and be a better defensive fighter

And that's who should be training Khan.

Yeah, because Tommy Hearns and Lennox Lewis never suffered KO losses or dropped decisions. I think we're very quick to judge Roach's training ability or lack there of. Khan didn't follow instructions to double and triple the jab, the same instructions that I'm sure Steward (a jab happy trainer) would have given a tall fast fighter like Khan. I don't think that Roach told Khan to stand against the ropes or in the center of the ring and cover up either. Khan brawled with Peterson who was bigger and obviously stronger than Khan. Had Khan not been deducted two points he would have won the fight. Roach can't train against ticky tack foul calling. The sport, like we always say is subjective, the referee deducted points on fouls that he felt were severe. Just like Russel Mora didn't deduct points from Abner Mares and just like no referee deducts points from Floyd from warding off with elbows. It can go both ways. I stand by what I said earlier in that I didn't think the fouls were severe enough to deduct two points.

Last edited by hardcorebee24 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 am

roach prepared kahn well.the statement that roach cannot train a fighter who cant take a punch truly is more then questionable.realy how do you train a fighter with a glass jaw.name me trainers with great success doing that with several fighters who have glass jaws.there is no magical wand nor trainer with that specialty.
what no one anticipated not here not roach nor kahn was the speed in which peterson cut the ring off and smothered kahn with rapid efficentcy..kahn moved well.he could of used his jab more and i felt his timing and delivery of his right hand was subpar.kahn and roach ill suggest to watch willie pep films and how he changes directions without stoping and breaking his stride while jabing effectively.kahn like ali does not know how to fight off the ropes or in a corner nor on the inside when trapped on the ropes..again study pep on how he slides side to side on the ropesor spins a fighter and now the opponent is trapped against the ropes.
kahn has the natural fluidity to suceed in copying pep in that regaurd..kahn also has the abilty to dance a bit like pep but unlike willie he doesnt shock you buy dancing side to side then move foward with shock and a volley of fast effective punches and then disappear out of range.
kahn has the footwork the speed and fluidity afoot and respectable handspeed to pull that off.
his conditioning as well as petersons was excellent for kahn got hit with tremendous body shots but did not fade.he took some good head shots also.he didnt show me a weak chin last night.
in the rematch they better expect peterson to do the same.fast pressure effective cutting the ring off with speed .
head movement feights a use of the jab and effective punching both countering with combos and footwork to excape at the same time.controling real estate and knowledge of distance roach and kahn need improvement on that against a charging effective agresser like peterson.pep had no equal in that department.
this is something they should of worked on a lot since bradley would attempt to fight similar to peterson at times.hahn needs no new trainer.. the chemistory between he and roach is invaluable.
the natural fluid abilty of kahn and the intelligence of freddie is close to a perfect match..watch the dam pep films and adapt that in kahns arsenal and thell do just fine..with all that being said kahn won last nights fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:34 am

I think the team of Khan and Roach is fine. Khan has improved a lot since he started working with Roach. I thought the fight last night was great and think Peterson was a very deserving winner (though I didn't actually score the fight). His work to the body was very impressive. At the end of the day I think Peterson just fought better than Khan and so he won the fight. Khan lost points for illegal tactics which he was told to stop doing multiple times. I don't think Khan should have been credited with a knockdown at all because it looked like Peterson tripped over his leg while Khan was rushing him. So yeah great fight and I don't think there was anything wrong with the decision. It could have gone either way imo and Peterson said afterwards no problem Khan can have a rematch.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:21 am

I think Roach is fine for Khan. But he needs to get someone in to help all of his guys fight on the inside or at least avoid uppercuts.

Khan's issues last night were he was in against a bigger, stronger guy and he took too long to settle down. I remember in Rd. 5 he controlled Peterson and thought he could've done that the whole night if he'd came in with a better game plan. He always starts jittery, settles down, and then gets dragged into a fight if it's close. There are definitely things he can work on, but Khan's biggest enemy is himself.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:29 pm

if it were just khan it would be one thing, but linares did the same exact thing. khan started brawling from round 1. he didnt even start off boxing. there were a few points in the fight that he boxed and did well but didnt do it very often. i just cant blame it all on khan. i believe that roach has something to with khan starting off the fight like he did.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Bernard Hopkins, Nazim Richardson + Amir Khan = global domination.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Khan fought like he was in the amateurs last night

He ignored Freddy and kept lobbying the ref for no reason

No one to blame for the loss but himself
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content