The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MARTINEZ LACK OF RESPECT BY HBO

+3
Soonermark890
dbudge
kbyte
7 posters

Go down

MARTINEZ LACK OF RESPECT BY HBO Empty MARTINEZ LACK OF RESPECT BY HBO

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:18 pm

he had to conceed almost everything to get williams in the ring..158 pound weight limit perhaps even the introduction of williams last and having been assigned the chalengers corner..thats ok but the insult that hurts the most was money..he got 1.05 million dollars and williams a undisclosed far more..ill bet hbo put up 3 mil for the fight so williams who cant sell 100 tickets got 1.9 plus million...he deserved to get koed and humiliated like that...

Back to top Go down

MARTINEZ LACK OF RESPECT BY HBO Empty Re: MARTINEZ LACK OF RESPECT BY HBO

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 pm

The good news is Sergio wasn't forced into a rematch clause Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 pm

martinez is fighter of the year..forget manny sergio faced far greater competion and destroyed them better..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Ya gotta love that Sergio didn't let any of that bother him. He just did his thing. Sergio has an unusual style for a warrior, but he sure acts like one doesn't he?

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:27 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:Ya gotta love that Sergio didn't let any of that bother him. He just did his thing. Sergio has an unusual style for a warrior, but he sure acts like one doesn't he?
He is a very likable guy.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:36 pm

he is what a true champion should be. when the super 6 was made this is what i thught we'd get

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:54 pm

dmar5143 wrote:he had to conceed almost everything to get williams in the ring..158 pound weight limit perhaps even the introduction of williams last and having been assigned the chalengers corner..thats ok but the insult that hurts the most was money..he got 1.05 million dollars and williams a undisclosed far more..ill bet hbo put up 3 mil for the fight so williams who cant sell 100 tickets got 1.9 plus million...[b]he deserved to get koed and humiliated like that...

Sweet revenge for Sergio and his team, gotta love it.

Last edited by Ring on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:36 pm

dmar5143 wrote:martinez is fighter of the year..forget manny sergio faced far greater competion and destroyed them better..
I agree but its close.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:24 am

Not pulling out the race card, but I think reason why Berto and Williams are getting so much love from HBO when it seems undeserved is because of this:

But ratings for HBO’s live fights have been disappointing. And HBO CEO Bill Nelson is said to be particularly troubled by the fact that, in recent years, African-American viewership of HBO Sports programming has dropped significantly beyond the drop for other demographic groups.
http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thomas-hauser/hbo-and-the-state-of-boxing--part-one
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 am

GrantZilla wrote:Not pulling out the race card, but I think reason why Berto and Williams are getting so much love from HBO when it seems undeserved is because of this:

But ratings for HBO’s live fights have been disappointing. And HBO CEO Bill Nelson is said to be particularly troubled by the fact that, in recent years, African-American viewership of HBO Sports programming has dropped significantly beyond the drop for other demographic groups.
http://www.secondsout.com/columns/thomas-hauser/hbo-and-the-state-of-boxing--part-one

Is HBO really dumb enough to believe black viewers would rather watch mediocre black fighters than better ones of other enthnicities?

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:39 am

The thing I don't like about Hauser's report which was pointed out by article on Queensberry Rules is, he has too many "unnamed" sources, and uses the likes as Arum and Co as back up. Basicaly guys that got an ax to grind with HBO.

That said, I think HBO Sports is run by people don't know the sport, and think hyping up some black fighters will get black viewers.

No secret that instead putting on good fights, and best vs best, HBO tries to artificialy create name fighters, which we all know in boxing, never works.

Victor Ortiz was suppose to be a HBO star, and he flat out quit against Maidana. Or Jacobs who got his ass knocked out by Dmitry Pirog, but HBO totaly ignored Piroq after the win, and interviewed Jacobs.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:46 am

GrantZilla wrote:The thing I don't like about Hauser's report which was pointed out by article on Queensberry Rules is, he has too many "unnamed" sources, and uses the likes as Arum and Co as back up. Basicaly guys that got an ax to grind with HBO.

That said, I think HBO Sports is run by people don't know the sport, and think hyping up some black fighters will get black viewers.

No secret that instead putting on good fights, and best vs best, HBO tries to artificialy create name fighters, which we all know in boxing, never works.

Victor Ortiz was suppose to be a HBO star, and he flat out quit against Maidana. Or Jacobs who got his ass knocked out by Dmitry Pirog, but HBO totaly ignored Piroq after the win, and interviewed Jacobs.

early 2009 they had a promo thing that was to be future stars. Ortiz, Jacobs, Kirkland, Berto, PW, Arreola, and a few others (I may have included 1 or 2 there that weren't included). Since that time alot of fighters have stepped up and showed they are outstanding (guys like Montiel, etc...), but HBO had hitched their trailer to alot of unproven guys. And now almost all of them have flopped in some respect.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 am

i dont have a problem with hbo in recognizing young talent and showcasing them..the problem is vastly overpaying them and depleteing there annual budjet with thoses guys..showcasing young stars should be a addition to there regular boxing program and not a large portion of it..theres were thge problem lies.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Rafael does a good job of summing it up on his weekend scorecard. I would paste it in here, but I don't have a mouse on this thing...

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:17 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Is HBO really dumb enough to believe black viewers would rather watch mediocre black fighters than better ones of other enthnicities?
'

Yes, they are stuck in a Tyson/Roy Jones mindset
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddie1437 Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:51 pm

dmar5143 wrote:martinez is fighter of the year..forget manny sergio faced far greater competion and destroyed them better..

Agreed! I don't think there's any way that someone can put anyone else as FOTY other then Martinez.
Freddie1437
Freddie1437

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:37 am

Boxing needs stars, but what HBO doesn't get is, you can't artificialy create stars. Boxing stars come out of nowhere. Rarely does a fighter from the begening ever become a star. Oscar, Lenored, Tyson, ect are exceptions.

Nobody thought Ali would be a star. He was suppose to get his ass kicked by Liston.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down