The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GEORGE CHUVALO..A MAN OF RESPECT.

4 posters

Go down

GEORGE CHUVALO..A MAN OF RESPECT. Empty GEORGE CHUVALO..A MAN OF RESPECT.

Post  dmar5143 Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:56 am

no george isnt a old time mafia guy who they called men of respect.i have deep respect for chuvalo not only as a fighter but more important the type of person chuvalo is.as a fighter george was far from great hell i feel he was not even good by my standards.perhaps boarderline good but for sure what id call a decent fighter.
chuvalo fought the best of a very good era.he fought the boarderline contenders also and fighters with a buildup that got ranked undeserving also.he fought everyone .he fought with a awsome heart gave his all with grit determination and pure guts.he was strong had truly one of the great chins in boxing history.
i always said george was one of the best ever in knocking out ham and eggers.fighting the better fighters george came out second best most of the time.he was a second tier heavyweight and the lower end of that tier ion a era of great to good heavyweights..he lost to ali twice yet gave ali hell.he was stoped twice by foreman and frazier but was not crushed.he lost to patterson bonavena foley terrel jimmy ellis ..he fought with courage yes but could rarely beat a top guy.hell he lost to a fading bob baker a builup called pat mcmurty even to buster manthis and fellow canadian bob cleroux.hell he even got beat by pete radamaker.
his best wins were quarry former LH contender doug jones clev williams another overated heavy.
the courage determination the guts in the ring also followed george in real life.in his day he was very popular because of his ill give it my all everytime.
thoses are not the reasons george is a man of respect although there impressive..i saw a tv show a month or so ago on home improvement and it was featuring the remodling of georges kitchen area by top crafsman who in every detail strived for perfection..it cost george some 30 000 dollars.
the house like the man or fighter was simple nice average nothing extra special.his home for 35 plus years.when the job was finished they brought george and his second wife in to see the results.the wife was extremly happy.george just broke into tears and hugged the workers with great sincerity.that sceen should give you a insight to the man of respect.
on youtube theres a 5 or 6 part series on george his carrer and life.there you see a humble man fighting fighters no matter what to make a living.you see his struggles and broken promises of getting the big fight or payday..you see george turn his carrer over to a non boxing person a local store ownner who put up his money and the great friendship evolves.you see george away from home months at a time living in flop houses going a day or two without eating to send money home to support his family as he chased his dream.courage guts determination never give up.thats george..im not done yet.
you learn about georges personel life and huge heart and courage when he visits high schools in canada where he still is a hero constantly and warns against drugs based on his lifes experiences.you learn his daughter was hooked on drugs but beat the monkey on her back to lead a qualitry life..you also learn how 2 of georges sons died of a overdose and the heartbreak it brought him.you will also learn that georges first wife could not handle the loss of the second son and commited suicide.
george fighting emotions tells his lifes story threwout canadian high schools with inner pain far greater then anything he suffered in the ring.the kids admire george ands YES his message has been a fantastic success.
you flash back to the new kitchen and see this humble strong man of courage cry because his wife is so happy over the beautifull improvements.
you truly start to realize this is a man to respect with honor.yep hes a fighter..in life.a dont give up no matter what.the guts heart determination of the inner man has few equals.
all of todays fighters and divas some with far greater talent then george should watch these shows.maybe they will learn that there tough life they thought they had is a cake walk compared to georges.maybe they will learn the true meaning of courage heart determination will grit etc etc.i know for sure they will learn what a REAL FIGHTER means.chuvalo a man of honor and respect.you bet your ass he is.god bless this man who dispite his shortcomings in the ring was a favorite of mine.as a person hes at the top of the list.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

GEORGE CHUVALO..A MAN OF RESPECT. Empty Re: GEORGE CHUVALO..A MAN OF RESPECT.

Post  dmar5143 Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:47 am

i think this needs a few more reads.we talk on floyd wining a huge bet how about talking about a man a real man who should win our hearts and respect.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:53 am

Marciano said that if every fight was fought to the finish, Chuvalo would've been the greatest fighter of all times." I don't know if I agree with that, but I really enjoyed your article dmar. Thanks for writing it.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:19 am

thanks frank..rocky was a fan of georges.he liked george as a fighter but also as a person.rocky felt chuvalo reminded him of himself.not as a fighter but as a guy who was the underdog.his grit his will his determination his dedication his humilty rocky admired greatly.i guess rocky felt he and george came from the same cloth.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Good post Dmar! Chuvalo came to speak at my high school years ago, and I met him again at another speaking engagement. He's a man you have to respect - tough, honest and genuinely committed to making a positive difference in this world. Just shaking his hand and looking him the eye was an honour.

As far as toughness, he has that kind of thick older man head and jaw where it seems like you could break a chair across his face and he wouldn't even blink Laughing
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:42 am

tobe its great that you saw firsthand chuvalos crusade against drugs and the type of man he is.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  LarryDickman Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Great insight on one of my favorite fighters.Nothing flashy,but the man gave it all when he stepped in the ring.

Ali called him the toughest fighter he ever fought,and Ali actually went to the hospital after their first fight.

LarryDickman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down