The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez-Sebastian Zbik is Ordered By The WBC

4 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez-Sebastian Zbik is Ordered By The WBC Empty Sergio Martinez-Sebastian Zbik is Ordered By The WBC

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:44 am

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised that the WBC has ordered middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (46-2, 25KOs) to defend his title against interim-belt holder Sebastian Zbik (30-0, 10KOs) of Germany. If no agreement is reached, the WBC will hold a purse bid on January 7 in Mexico City. There are ongoing negotiations for Martinez to fight in the month of March on HBO. One of the names being kicked around is Andy Lee.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33445

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez-Sebastian Zbik is Ordered By The WBC Empty Re: Sergio Martinez-Sebastian Zbik is Ordered By The WBC

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:47 am

Does this mean if Sergio declines to fight Zbik, he gets stripped?This isnt the big money fight Dibella and Sergio are looking for. I think he actually cares for the trinket otherwise he would've not paid the sanctioning fees against Pavlik to get it OR wouldve just said the hell with it and vacated it when WBC made him pick between 154 and 160. He already has the Ring belt which is all he really needs but fighters for some reason still care for the straps.

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez-Sebastian Zbik is Ordered By The WBC Empty Re: Sergio Martinez-Sebastian Zbik is Ordered By The WBC

Post  GrantZilla Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:53 am

I say he dump the belt if he can get a fight with Cotto. If not, he might as well fight Zbik. He's a top ten middle. Not like big names at middle. So all he can do is fight top ten opponents if he can't get a name fighter.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 am

WBC will strip him again, it's disgusting how they're treating Martinez.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 am

Martinez needs to fight anyone legitimate. Pavlik has to get his house in order and have a comeback fight or two before a rematch makes sense. He isn't getting a Cotto fight. PW isn't an option. Pirog is an option but that fight is a couple of fights away.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:14 am

The WBC can be so two faced, one minute they're congratulating Sergio on his victory and inviting him to the headquarters, then the next minute they're ordering mandatories that have no chance of getting on American tv so that leads to them stripping him.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 am

Like I said, if Martinez can't get a name, he might as well take the fight. He's top ranked fighter.

What could do is make it a double-header fight with a more attractive fight as main event and sell to the network.

Won't be any worse the Berto vs some non top ten ranked bum
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:53 am

GrantZilla wrote:Like I said, if Martinez can't get a name, he might as well take the fight. He's top ranked fighter.

What could do is make it a double-header fight with a more attractive fight as main event and sell to the network.

Won't be any worse the Berto vs some non top ten ranked bum

If I am Martinez and there isn't big money HBO opponents, I take the fight vs Zbik and try to get Showtime to show it.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 am

So what if HBO says " We're not interested in buying a Zbik fight" or they make an insultingly low offer? Dibella already shot his mouth off in the press and killed Showtime as a viable option.

This is what I was trying to get at when I pointed out Dibella was not being very smart in the days following the Williams victory.

Maybe Showtime would have offered 2 million for a fight with Zbik..or Pirog....or chavez.

THe WBC have disrespected Martinez just as HBO did because they don't think he will bring in huge sanction fess.

Sergio should drop the WBC trinket in a toilet where it belongs.

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:29 am

i think that Martinez is going to have trouble getting a "name" into the ring with him. Cotto is a lot smaller than Sergio, he is too close to defeats in his career to have Arum risk what's left of it in a fight with Martinez. A Kelly Pavlik rematch doesn't seem like it's awaiting round the corner, Paul Williams doesn't need an explanation for. Margarito got beat up on too bad last time. Mosley is too old and shot for a stronger guy like Sergio. Sylvester and Sturm's promoters won't risk their assets on such a dangerous fight and they don't bring a big name/$$$ to the table anyway. All the big name fights- Pacquiao, Mayweather, Mosley, Cotto etc are all too small for Martinez and extremely highly doubtful likely to be made at all let alone before March next year.
I don't think it would be unwise for DiBella to try and get that match-up with Zbik made a.s.ap for perhaps February time, 160lb wouldn't be difficult for Martinez to make so close to his last fight and he barely broke sweat in that. I say he gets the deal done to keep him busy, try and get it on HBO BAD putting forward that that is the soonest possible date to get him back in the ring against any opponent. Win the fight with relative ease, padding his record and getitng him a payday whatever way you want to look at it. It also keeps the WBC happy and buys him time which could, for future negotiating, prove to be very helpful. Plus it keeps the Middleweight Champion doing what we all want to see our Champions do, legitimately clean out his own division. I can't see that this is entirely bad for Martinez. He doesn't want to end up in the position of turning down any form of payday chasing one that isn't guaranteed. Sergio needs to cash in on his new found fame whilst he can

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:54 am

fight or we will strip you..the great reasoning of the phoney commisons...marinez should take the fight and do it in germany .not because of fear for losing a worthless belt but because there isnt a money fight to be had as of now.a fight in germany maybe it can offset whatever hes missing from a hbo payday..this is no way to treat a guy who is a credit to the fight game..

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 pm

I doubt he gets stripped, according to Lou he'll work something out with the WBC since Martinez has been "loyal" to Don Jose
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down