The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy wins robbery in Poland?

+2
captainanddew
NJBeatdown86
6 posters

Go down

Roy wins robbery in Poland? Empty Roy wins robbery in Poland?

Post  NJBeatdown86 Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:00 am

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2012/06/roy-jones-jr-wins-controversial-decision-over-glazewski/

Sounds like he performed poorly, got knocked down by a guy with little power, yet managed to win a robbery in Poland (judges must have been too drunk to score). Original opponent was in jail.

And he'll sadly keep on fighting.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Roy wins robbery in Poland? Empty Re: Roy wins robbery in Poland?

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:26 am

I watched the fight. I didn't score it round by round. But Roy lost. He got knocked down and that was a clear 10-8 round. There is no way Roy won enough rounds to win the fight. I think a fair score would be around 6-4 for the Polish guy with him winning by 3 pts.

Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, the top 10 cruiserweight and WBC trinketholder is supposed to face Roy next. That is why Roy got the decision. Roy is to get another payday and will get KO'd for all of Poland to celebrate.

Wlodarczyk will KO him, the way Green and Lebedev did.

Roy is old, shot, and broke and is taking all of these fights overseas to make whatever he can.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:27 am

Roy is going to be in bad shape neurologically in the years to come and as long as HBO employs him we will be forced to watch his deterioration before our eyes.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:13 pm

i had roy losing by 3 points and 6-4 in rounds.the guy he fought years ago would be considered a mediocre club fighter.rarely threw a jab which would of hit roy at will.he has no power and a combo isnt in the guys vocabulary..roy has zero left.his reflexes are gone.no more fast moving the head back to avoid a punch.no quick steps back to avoid a punch.no countering with speedy combos..just a jab thats quick for one toss only.his legs go no where.his skill level was always subpar but his athletic abilty and reflexes made up for that in the past.thats completly gone now.hes easy to hit if the other guy actualy attemted to work off a jab.
the cruizer division is nothing to write home about but there are at least 15 guys that will ko roy..
yes hes broke.its his fault.there is no way he can ever get out of debt by fighting.
if he fights a top guy that can hit the possibilty of serious damage is a reality.
he wont listen to anyone that says its time.hell he wont even listen to himself or his body.so like going broke when he does get fucked up its roys fault.aided of course by mickey mouse commisions and promoters that allow a semi-helpless guy to continue fighting..yep thats how bad i think jones looked the other night.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:36 pm

It's a little late to make up for Seoul.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 am

i remember after he got KO'd by tarver and johnson, i thought that he was done because he would have destroyed both of those fighters in his prime IMO. he wasnt a terrible fighter at that time though. in the mid to later 2000's, he was a top 10 fighter in his division still but on the lower end of it. he keeps dramatically dropping though. he is now to the point to where he is a top 50 guy maybe.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:33 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i remember after he got KO'd by tarver and johnson, i thought that he was done because he would have destroyed both of those fighters in his prime IMO. he wasnt a terrible fighter at that time though. in the mid to later 2000's, he was a top 10 fighter in his division still but on the lower end of it. he keeps dramatically dropping though. he is now to the point to where he is a top 50 guy maybe.

Jones would have struggled with Tarver on his best night. Tarver, like Frankie Liles, was made to beat RJJ and his style. Its why Liles TKOd him in the amateurs and gave RJJ absolute hell in all 3 fights. Its also why Jones never fought him as a pro. 6'3", left handed power-punchers with handspeed and solid boxing skills and in Liles case, good footwork were not guys that Jones was EVER going to "destroy" . As for Johnson, Jones could have out-speeded him in his earlier career, but again, "destroy" was not gonna happen. Jones didnt have Hopkins skill at handling pressure fighters and volume punchers.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 am

boxinglawyer wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:i remember after he got KO'd by tarver and johnson, i thought that he was done because he would have destroyed both of those fighters in his prime IMO. he wasnt a terrible fighter at that time though. in the mid to later 2000's, he was a top 10 fighter in his division still but on the lower end of it. he keeps dramatically dropping though. he is now to the point to where he is a top 50 guy maybe.

Jones would have struggled with Tarver on his best night. Tarver, like Frankie Liles, was made to beat RJJ and his style. Its why Liles TKOd him in the amateurs and gave RJJ absolute hell in all 3 fights. Its also why Jones never fought him as a pro. 6'3", left handed power-punchers with handspeed and solid boxing skills and in Liles case, good footwork were not guys that Jones was EVER going to "destroy" . As for Johnson, Jones could have out-speeded him in his earlier career, but again, "destroy" was not gonna happen. Jones didnt have Hopkins skill at handling pressure fighters and volume punchers.
i know that you hate jones a lot for some reason and never give him any credit. he very rarely struggled with anybody his entire career before the first tarver fight. you can say what you want about ducking people but his competition wasnt that bad. two, IMO he beat tarver in a close and convincing fight in their first fight and jones looked terrible. it looked as though he had no energy. so yes, i do think that a prime jones would have easily won if a terrible looking jones could convincingly win.

third, its not as if jones never fought pressure fighters in his career. he did and he destroyed them. are you saying that johnson is a better fighter than any pressure fighter than jones ever faced? that simply isnt true. i doubt that johnson could even win a round against a prime jones.

it wasnt a fluke that jones just started losing all at once. its not as if jones finally started fighting people that could beat him (aka tarver and johnson). they just came around the right time to be able to beat him. if they fought jones in his prime then you would be saying the same exact thing. you would say that they were bums and hand picked them.

now did jones fight every person he should have? no. was he a great fighter? yes. was he #1 p4p for a long time? yes. yet you always talk about him as if he was a bum. and im not even saying that you just downgrade him. im saying that every time you mention him, you literally made him sound like a C class fighter when he is obviously an A class fighter. your hate for him makes your opinions void.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 am

this is a case where ill agree to a certain point with both bl and powerpuncher.first ill state im not a jones fan but that doesnt mean i cant give a objective post.first im tired of reading the nonsence that tarver and johnson did not beat a prime jones.they did. jones may of not been iin his peak prime which is argueable but non the less still in his prime.and of course excuses why roy lost.he had to lose weight after beating ruiz etc etc.10 pounds maybe since fight night he was a good 185...although he was the favorite he did come off his most impressive win in my thoughts with a win over ruiz.
jones did fight some good capable fighters when in his so called prime.jones did avoid several fighters that could of beaten him..he did fight several folks for the title that were bult up tomatoe cans.
jones was a great fighter and is a bonifide hofamer.thoses words i use not often.
in both of thoses fights jones was knocked out cold with one punch early in the fight.it wasnt a case of a late round ko that you could blame age or a long history of wars took its toll on roy.both are far from the truth..wella roy had a glass jaw.he finaly got hit by someone who actualy punched back and timed roy off of his constant mistakes.this could of happened as bl suggests anytime during roys so called best days.
just coming off the ruiz win some guys lioke max kellerman were giving roy praise like hes one of the 3 or 4 greatest fighters ever.thats not a past his prime roy jones.
jones was maybe the most overhyped fighter ever by max..folks today still believe that unwarranted overhype and dismiss his 2 ko losses as a past his best jones.nonsence.
for the record i watched roy fight threwout the years.my impressions remain the same.1.fantastic handspeed2.great athletic abilty3.wonderfull hand and eye co ordination4.because of number 3 he got away with several mistakes that a fighter who can punch and time thoses mistakes and who will actuaLY PUNCH BACK COULD BEAT HIM..THATS WHAT HAPPENED IN THOSES 2 FIGHTS...5.roy had very little at the skill level.sorry dont comfuses the first 3 attributes with skill.there far from it.
now heres a prime example of the big overhype by max kellerman that was followed by others who should of known better...jones max claimed was unbeatable.the greatest lh ever.foster conn moore langford and others had no chance against him..he gave as a maybe ez charles.just a maybe.
he futher went on to suggest that a joe louis fight would of been interesting..lol suggesting that the fight was a pick em because of the conn fight..what max ignored was that conn had skill.tons of it.roy had very very little.2.conn had a history of experience fighting several fights against far superior talent then jones did..and conn did not make several amatuerish mistakes that jones did...
max futher went on to say he felt jones would of beat marciano lol.im a interenet talk with a very knowledgeable boxing buff from new england he suggested that he would pay to see that fight..i said get there early dont buy popcorn etc etc because this is a rerun of the harry kid matthews fight.as soon as rocky hits roy its over.i said that will be around round 2.
tarver to me at his best was a ok fighter.not great not near great not very good.decent yes..hes a southpaw.jones has problems with that.he throws punches back.jones will have problems with that against any fighter whos decent.jones has a glass jaw.why are folks dismissing that is beyound me..
look when you fight top opposition atheletic abilty can get you wins no doubt.but you better have respectable skill which jones did not or it will cost you..it did..
lets not dismiss tarvers win nor johnsons win as beating a non prime jones.thats false as i explained above....
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 am

i will admit that it wasnt a prime jones if you can tell me 1 fight after his fight with ruiz that he looked good in. you cant because there isnt one. he just never got back after the ruiz fight. you (dmar) and BL can say all you want that weight wasnt an issue, but it probably was. i guess he could have just gotten old overnight or maybe a little of both. now, if jones would have comeback and had some good fights after the tarver and johnson fights then i would say that jones just lost.

i will state again that jones looked terrible in the first tarver fight. mostly he just looked completely drained (which is why i think that weight was an issue). he usually had great stamina so obviously something was off. if he just looked like he couldnt get a punch off then that would be a different scenario. in the johnson fight, dmar you said that it was one punch. he got KO'd in the 9th and was getting hit a lot in that fight. he couldnt get away from punches at all. that is another reason it makes me know that he was getting old. his reflexes started fading. i think that the 2nd tarver fight was partly jones losing his reflexes and partly a fluke punch.

and i do think that jones is a top LHW of all time. i dont think he is #1 but i do think that he is top 5 for sure. you can argue it all you want but jones was very dominant. i think that jones would have a tough time against hard hitters like foster and moore and someone very skilled like charles or conn. but i couldnt say for sure that any of them would just beat jones. they are pickem fights where i would give his opponents a slight edge. i do agree that joe louis would destroy jones and i think that jones would hold his own against marciano but dont think he could last the whole fight (unless jones could cut him up bad enough in the first half of the fight to create a stoppage).

that is my opinion on roy jones.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:35 am

powerpuncher.your simply overating jones jr period.5th best at light heavy.based on what.better then tunney charles langford foster moore conn.nope.jones holding his own against marciano.please.the tarver punch wasnt a fluke at all.he timed roy very well..again fighting all time greats with a glass jaw and little skill level spells disaster.they will hit you and often.amatuerish mistakes are costly in this case.again jones was very dominate against who.proper placement maybe with roy at light heavy is 10-12.thats no disgrace .spinks id rate over him also.laughran probably.hes somewhere between harold johnson and john henry lewis.
gee when he looks fantastic against mediocre guys we say he great.when he looks bad against decent fighters we say hes washed up or fading beyound his prime.we cant admit tarver had his number.we cant admit he has a weak chin.hold his own against rocky...ill go on record saying a young floyd patterson who in his infancy as hw champ blows him out of there.yes a 182-184 patterson with fast hands genuine power and respectible skill beats a guy with far less skill and a weaker chin.jones does well untill floyd lowers the boom around round 5 or 6.
this is not downgrading jones at all.its putting what he did in the ring against shit opposition seeing his mistakes that a good or great fighter takes advantage of.again roy is a great fighter.there are different levels of greatness.hes far from the first 2 levels.you feel otherwise.he flunked under adverse conditions.theres no denying that but to use an excuse hes a fading fighter that lost a lot is not only a mistake its false...today no doubt we can say and agree on that but the tarver johnson fights we shouldnt.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:57 am

i will say it again. if you can tell me one fight that he looked good in after the ruiz fight then i will believe you. after the 3rd tarver fight i watched him fight ajamu who wasnt a good fighter at all. jones won every round but didnt look at all like the jones of old doing it. so im using an example of him fight a bum and he still didnt look very good even though he won every round.

my problem is that you are saying that its false that im saying that jones was past his best after the ruiz fight. you say that he just fought people who had his number. that is 100% opinion and to me, isnt a very good one. you could maybe say that tarver had his number which i disagree with but to say that johnson had his number is ridiculous. i remember watching jones fight gonzales and woods who are both ironed chin and come at you fighters. neither could even get close to jones. he destroyed them both. johnson may be a half step above both of them but i think that they both probably hit harder than johnson.

give me one fight in jones' career before the tarver fight that was even competitive. griffin is the only one but he revenged the loss with a 1st round KO and people forget that he was DQ'd after a KD. it wasnt like he was just getting beat and then low blowed him. he actually had the upper hand at the DQ.

so you are telling me that coincidently, jones blew through his opponents throughout his whole career and then randomly, 2 fights in a row, he fights people who have his number and then never looks good again? because that seems pretty hard to beleive.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:20 am

I think Jones is probably the most overrated fighter ever. Looking like superman against bums is not impressive to me at all. Thats not to say he wasn't great because he was but hes just severely overrated imo.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:15 am

powerpuncher i said tarver had his number not johnson.some folks think tarver won all 3 fights.lets examine the so called weight drained issue which is a excuse not reality.jones for the ruiz fight did not have to dehydrate.he weighed i think 193 for that fight.he normaly fight night fought at 185.that in a reality was a loss of 8 pounds.maybe closer to 5 pounds if we put roys walking around weight at 188 which is close to correct.so over a 6 month to 8 month period he had to lose 5 to 8 pounds.he then did his normal dehydration..thats not weight drained nor a excessive strain on his body.in fact its nothing harmfull..yet you and other jones fans need to find a reason why he got his ass kicked by tarver.jones slipped after the johnson fight..of course your saying where is that domonite jones after the ruiz fight.its hard to dominate when your getting your ass kicked.he was the same jones as before but lost.tarver blew him out of there but you dismiss it as a fluke punch or the effect of lossing that massive amount of weight over a good 6 months a whole 5-8 pounds after the ruiz fight.lets get real here.
ill agree after thoses fights the ko losses he slipped.they took something out of him.not before that.
tarver had roys number.in the old days boxing folks refered to that as the indian hex.its no different then willie joyce having ike williams number.
before the tarver fight did you or anyone else say roy was finished.hes past his prime.nope.the ko loss came as a shock to folks who failed to look at roys mistakes in the ring..example.before any tarver fight there was talk about a chris byrd fight.at breakfeast with angie dundee in west palm beach florida he asked me who wins if they fight.i said byrd.he asked why.i said byrd will make him pay for the amaturish moves he does.angie said yep and one more factor.jones has problems with southpaws.thats why tarver had his number.he punched back and didnt allow jones to dictake the fight by controling the action.
now the factor of roys glass jaw came into play..he finaly got hit by someone who wasnt a cab driver with a fancy bulit up record.
jones had a run of ill guess a dozen fights where he rarely lost a round.ive seen that movie before with several fighters.but when you examine that run as with other fighters you can come to the conclution that one of the reasons was the competion another is how they fought jones.tarver fought him so did johnson.others played follow the leader..
no one is saying roy wasnt a great fighter.again to place him 5th at light heavy is vastly overestimating him..tunney fought 95 percent of his fights at lh with same say weigh inns.hes not in genes league.marciano and jones fought at the same weight fight night.hes not in rockys level either..nor sam langfords.bob foster hits him and he will its lights out.same with archie moore who will do things defensively and offensively that jones never saw before..charles beat moore 3 times burley walcott twice joe louis maxim 3 times rex layne 3 times i can go on and on what ez did in his day with several other top fighters.several of thoses guys beat jones..hes not in charles level.so to rank him 5th is as accurate as saying roy was past his best not in his prime when tarver kicked his ass.both statements is incorrect..
again i started the first post by saying i agree basicaly with what both you and BL said.maybe as you infered lawyer has a ax to grind with jones.that i dont know.you have to ask him..i dont have a ax to grind with roy.just puting his level of greatness in a proper way.your puting it at a jim lampkey school of thought which is highly overating the guy.
reality should of sunk in when tarver kicked his ass.with you it didnt.just a list of excuses why he lost including the massive 5-8 pound weight loss over a period of time..the loss to tarver i expected.others found it a shock so excuses are formed..whats your excuse going to be tonight roy.one of boxings great lines..roy should of said i dont know but dont worry my fans will come up with several..tarver had his number.no shame in that.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:20 am

the problem is that you are contradicting yourself with your point about tarver. you are first saying that tarver had jones' number which is why he won. then you are saying that tarver wasnt a taxi cab driver like the rest of his opponents. so which is it? if tarver just had jones' number then that doesnt really discount his greatness. ali lost to norton arguably 3 times and norton was just a good fighter, not great, but i dont think those fights make him any less great. and if you are saying that tarver was just way better than other people he fought then that is just being uneducated about jones' opponents because tarver really didnt accomplish much in his whole career and was just a pretty good fighter. so it makes that argument void.

i agree to disagree about jones' greatness. i believe that some people do overrate jones and im not even a big jones fan or anything. i just believe that some older people sometimes have the idea that no modern day fighter is better than a fighter of old. while my p4p list includes mostly fighters from before the 90's, i still think that some fighters of today are great and maybe even just as good as other fighters of old.

im not disagreeing that jones had a glass jaw but he was fast enough to protect it. he fought fighters that could punch. he didnt fight bums his whole career. i know that his opposition wasnt A class but im arguing the point that it wasnt D class like you seem to be inferring. he fought past, present, and future champions and destroyed them all.

and one more thing, about the weight issue. i didnt even bring it up but i will give you my opinion on it. you can say that it was only 8 pounds or so, but you dont know if that weight he put on was muscle or fat or whatever it was. gaining even a small amount of weight and then losing it can throw off your body. i think that getting back down to that weight in the tarver fight threw him off a bit. like i said before, he just looked sluggish and energy drained for the fight but i think he still won. i believe that whether or not he was past his best at that time, the weight threw him off for his first fight back at LHW.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:39 pm

powerpuncher my last post on this topic.first indeed you brought up the weight issue not me.your words were he looked drained and implied in your words and stated thats why the weight issue may have some bareing..nor did i contridict myself at all.i said tarver had roys number and finaly your agreeing.yes he was no cab driver with a built up record roy did fight several like that dispite your thoughts but that doesnt not mean all of the guys roy fought were bums.he did beat some good and a few excellent fighters..
its the level of greatness your placing him at.the 5th greatest lh ever.wrong.i said somewhere between 10-12 and thats excellent by the way.surely if you feel that roys greater then tunney charles moore langford foster then think again.thats 5 that fought a whole lot of fights at lh.in fact more then roy did.i did praIse his reflexes and handspeed eye and hand co ordination but his skill level real skills is was substandard in relationship to tons of great fighters .and you admit of course his competion or grounds where his greatness can be and will be tested falls far short of all the fighters i mentioned.that and a glass jaw which you admitted means serious trouble if he had to fight on a ongoing basis fighters with complete skill which he did not.finaly your arguement that roy was out of his prime when tarver or even johnson beat him has no merit.i stated roy both or all of thoses fights was in his prime.maybe not peak prime for 3 out of the 4 fights but non the less still in it.thats what i said and implied.so reread what i said..your implying roy was out of his prime on the way of being semi-shot or a shell of his former self.not true.and this is not a case of fighters from 30 to 90 years ago over fighters of the past ten years cause its not.its a case of disgussing the overating of roy jones which you have done.and several others have also..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Ok, let me address some points made here as well as accusations. First, I have no axe to grind with RJJ. I recognize his worth as a fighter. At WORST he was no less than the second best fighter in his weight class in his time. Roy Jones was not shot when he lost the fights to Tarver and Johnson. I would accept that he might have been at the same stage in his career that Pac is. Still prime, but maybe a shade less than his very best. Tarver was a fighter that Jones was ALWAYS gonna have trouble with. You can still find the Frankie Liles 3 fight online in several places. Watch it. (Jones wins a split nod in that fight) Liles was a virtual copy of Tarver with a little less power, less solid chin, but faster feet. He TKOd Jones in fight one. Lost fight 2 and 3 close despite scoring a KD in the second fight and a standing 8 count in the third. (KDs dont count for points in the amateurs) Thats why a lot of people wanted to see them fight when they were champions alongside each other for years.

Jones fans started a myth that he lost 25 pounds of "muscle" to fight Tarver. He didnt. Jones was fighting at 186 pounds as a middleweight. At 175 he was fighting in the high 190s. He had a whopping 7 pound weight loss from Ruiz back to Tarver. Holyfield lost 15-18 pounds between his fights.

Now, as to the area of Jones greatness. He is without a doubt below Spinks, Charles, Conn, Walcott, Moore, Foster, Maxim, and company. They are on a whole different level than him at 175. The guys they fought were better than the best Jones ever saw at 175. To suggest that he might beat Marciano or Louis is absurd. Both guys might literally KILL him. Jones has had a shaky chin from the beginning. He just had terrific athletic ability to protect it against technically inferior oposition. Against a guy like Spinks or Charles who were SUPREME technicians and tacticians, his horrible habits of leading with a hook, stepping back after a flurry, pulling his jab back low, leaning in over his center of balance in close, etc. would have earned him a solid shot on the chin from guys who hit WWAAAYYY harder than Tarver.

Jones is a great fighter for his time. Not for all time.

The Modern/old fighter argument is silly. Name one sport you get BETTER at by competing LESS against LESSER competiton. There isnt one. People are bigger, stronger, etc. today which means NOTHING in boxing. The wieght classes make sure equal size fighters square off. The old time fighters fought and therefore practiced at a rate ten times more frequent than todays fighters AND against better competion. You think Mayweather would fight Pac 6 times in 2 years? How about Jones squaring off with Toney and Hopkins 4 times each? Get the picture?

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down