The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo vs Ortiz to headline "Knockout Kings" PPV Sept 15

+9
hillsicc303
GrantZilla
UBeeg9cats
NJBeatdown86
Diego408
kbyte
captainanddew
dmar5143
SlickMoney
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Canelo vs Ortiz to headline "Knockout Kings" PPV Sept 15 Empty Canelo vs Ortiz to headline "Knockout Kings" PPV Sept 15

Post  SlickMoney Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Oscar has announced Canelo-Ortiz and already announced Jhonny Gonzalez-Ponce De Leon for 9/15 PPV. Called "Knockout Kings."
https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/212607109441921024

PPV is gonna be carried on Showtime.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs Ortiz to headline "Knockout Kings" PPV Sept 15 Empty Re: Canelo vs Ortiz to headline "Knockout Kings" PPV Sept 15

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:44 pm

i like the fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs Ortiz to headline "Knockout Kings" PPV Sept 15 Empty Re: Canelo vs Ortiz to headline "Knockout Kings" PPV Sept 15

Post  captainanddew Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 pm

I like the fight for many reasons;
1-Ortiz has been in a big ppv with Floyd. Hopefully, he has learned how to deal with the magnitude of the event and the difficulties that are faced in the ring
2-Ortiz has fought damn good fighters at 140 and 147. Maidana, Peterson, Berto, Floyd. And those guys have different styles.
3-Ortiz even though he has only been at 147 for 2 fights is a big boy. I believe he weighed 161 pounds against Berto and 165 against Floyd. The latter weight is a weight you normally see when a junior middle gets into the ring, not a welter.
4-Ortiz is a southpaw. Even though Canelo has faced at least 1 other southpaw I know of offhand (Ryan Rhodes), facing a southpaw is never easy.
5-MOST IMPORTANTLY-Canelo wasn't going to face Lara or Molina (too risky). Cotto isn't fighting this soon after his last fight. Ortiz is a decent option.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 pm

dmar5143 wrote:i like the fight.

I love the fight Smile
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:18 pm

I hope Canelo batters Ortiz.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Good fight, perfect for Mexican Independence Day.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:14 am

It even makes for the juicy subplot because Top Rank "wanted" to do the Sergio-Jr fight on that date. Think of those 2 PPVs going at it.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:44 am

kbyte wrote:

I love the fight Smile

I do too, if it was on regular Showtime. Yet another fight I'll have to watch on a crappy stream
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:47 am

GrantZilla wrote:
kbyte wrote:

I love the fight Smile

I do too, if it was on regular Showtime. Yet another fight I'll have to watch on a crappy stream

I have to watch on a crappy stream anyway so I don't mind lol.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 am

I like the fight stylewise but I just feel Ortiz isn't ready for Jr MW yet.

Also Golden Boy are scared to put Canelo in with a legit Jr MW.

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:00 am

Ali wrote:I like the fight stylewise but I just feel Ortiz isn't ready for Jr MW yet.

..paul williams and kirkland were both real legit jmiddles.ortiz is third choice and makes good dollar sence for mexcian independence day.it makes the most dollar sence over other possible fights.this fight has all the makings of a fan friendly fight.im not impressed by ortiz but hes a good puncher.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 am

dmar5143 wrote:
Ali wrote:I like the fight stylewise but I just feel Ortiz isn't ready for Jr MW yet.

..paul williams and kirkland were both real legit jmiddles.ortiz is third choice and makes good dollar sence for mexcian independence day.it makes the most dollar sence over other possible fights.this fight has all the makings of a fan friendly fight.im not impressed by ortiz but hes a good puncher.

Williams was on the decline and Kirkland has a glass chin.

K-9, Trout, Lara, Molina are the type of opponents a WBC holder should be facing.

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:24 am

please stop with the phoney matchmaking.trout no way.talk about not ready.both kirkland and williams were legit jmiddles per your statement weather you like it or not.both fighters along with ortiz have or had the makings of a exciting fan friendly fight.lara and molina do not..a exciting fight is what boxing could use right now.no matter who alvarez is matched with there are complaints.alvarez will fight anyone.kirkland glass jaw and all is not a give me.one punch changes that.ask mike jones.i have no problem with any of the 3 attempted matchups.neither does anyone have a problem with ortiz..action fight of course.the fight can do good image wise for boxing.ortiz isnt a giveme.
it seems no matter who fights who folks are not satified.they always should fight someone else.this is a good fight.there are fights that can and should be critisized.this is not one of them.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 pm

I feel like Golden Boy are sacrificing Ortiz in order to build up Canelo.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:10 pm

of all the fighters mentioned i think lara has the most risk.he can punch box and is seasoned for a guy with limited action.his chances of a win are excellent..k 9 has age against him.been koed a few times before and the past 5 years has limited activity against lesser fighters then alvarez.risk wise ortiz williams and kirkland because of his punch are more dangerous.molina fought kirkland who can punch and we do not know for a fact that molina who was well ahead could of survived the last 2 rounds.alvarez has far more talent then kirkland.molina outside of kirkland and lara hasnt had enough success for me to consider him a bigger threat then a williams even at this stage of his career or ortiz or the dangerous kiirkland who could strike early.trout again especialy his last fight shows a little risk for alvarez vs the 3 they tried to match him up with..lara will get his chance i feel.i think he will continue to improve and yes can be right now a even fight with alvarez.
you can only match a fighter one fight at a time.golden boy made a great choice in ortiz because of the date and realizes that this should be a very very fan friendly fight.boxing needs a shot in the arm and the possibilty of this fight delivering a exciting match is fantastic...lara will get his chance i feel.win 1 or preferably 2 more fights against solid opposition on tv and golden boy will match him up...alvarez will push i feel for a fight like that.lara i feel potentialy now yes is the biggest risk over the rest.his time will come.just keep wining.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 am

kbyte wrote:I feel like Golden Boy are sacrificing Ortiz in order to build up Canelo.

Bingo.

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:14 pm

You guys may view it as sacrificing Ortiz but he is still probably the best competition Canelo will have faced to date. I know he hasn't fought at welter long but he is not going to be that small at 154. I haven't been overly impressed with the Mexican Ginger but I agree with dmar that they are bringing him along at a solid pace and with good matchmaking. Ortiz is a very good opponent for a Mexican holiday fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:11 am

1. Canelo shouldn't be fighting at 154 either. He is a lazy, 21 year old semi-pudgy guy, who just lacks the desire to make 147, so he moved up. He doesn't even have the conditioning to fight a full round.

2. Ortiz probably should be fighting at 154, he seems like his body just continues to fill out, plus he comes in pretty heavy on fight night anyway.

All of this means that there is not going to be a size advantage for Canelo. Ortiz is going to push Canelo, and I'm axious to see how the most overrated fighter outside of Bum Jr reacts. Ortiz definitely has fought FAR better guys, we shall see....

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 am

kbyte wrote:I feel like Golden Boy are sacrificing Ortiz in order to build up Canelo.

Or the opposite. Like Grant has stated, this is a big test for Canelo and we'll see what he's made of. Ortiz is not a pushover and can definitely be a problem for Canelo. I see Canelo winning but I can see him having a very tough time.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 am

hillsicc303 wrote:

1. Canelo shouldn't be fighting at 154 either. He is a lazy, 21 year old semi-pudgy guy, who just lacks the desire to make 147, so he moved up. He doesn't even have the conditioning to fight a full round.

2. Ortiz probably should be fighting at 154, he seems like his body just continues to fill out, plus he comes in pretty heavy on fight night anyway.

All of this means that there is not going to be a size advantage for Canelo. Ortiz is going to push Canelo, and I'm axious to see how the most overrated fighter outside of Bum Jr reacts. Ortiz definitely has fought FAR better guys, we shall see....

If you want to call him overrated fine, but nobody overrates Chavez Jr. It's no secret Chavez Jr. is a limited overweight protected fighter.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:10 am

If you want to call him overrated fine, but nobody overrates Chavez Jr. It's no secret Chavez Jr. is a limited overweight protected fighter.

No. There are people like JZ_Hova who actually think Bum Jr is legit...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 am

hillsicc303 wrote:

I think hes just being a contrarian though.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:18 am

hillsicc303 wrote:

I don't buy that. I was only kidding with ya anyway. Andy Lee beats him on Saturday.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:22 am

I don't buy that. I was only kidding with ya anyway. Andy Lee beats him on Saturday.

I hope Lee beats him on Saturday. The faster that hype train goes down in flames the better, and no more stealing fight dates on HBO for more deserving fighters...

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 am

hillsicc303 wrote:

I hope Lee beats him on Saturday. The faster that hype train goes down in flames the better, and no more stealing fight dates on HBO for more deserving fighters...

I agree. I just want to see the Middleweight division cleaned up and have fighters fight. Why is Martinez on the shelf? Bullshit. I also want to see how Golovkin Pirog winds up. Martinez should be fighting a tuner in hopes of getting the winner. Lee should beat Jr and call out Sturm.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next