The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo vs Alfonso Gomez Sept 17th ?

+4
SlickMoney
gomez1012
hardcorebee24
flapanther2001
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Canelo vs Alfonso Gomez Sept 17th ? Empty Canelo vs Alfonso Gomez Sept 17th ?

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Former “Contender” star Alfonso Gomez (23-4-2, 12 KOs) has announced on his Facebook page that his next opponent will be WBC super welterweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 17 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/alvarez-gomez-in-september-89844

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs Alfonso Gomez Sept 17th ? Empty Re: Canelo vs Alfonso Gomez Sept 17th ?

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:44 pm

I like Gomez, but he should stick to welterweight.

Back to top Go down

Canelo vs Alfonso Gomez Sept 17th ? Empty Re: Canelo vs Alfonso Gomez Sept 17th ?

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:47 pm

That's a crap ass match up.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:03 pm

I don't mind it, Canelo is young and it'll be part of Ortiz vs Mayweather.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Gomez will bring the effort. He has heart and a crowd pleasing style. Alzarez will probably blow him out.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Ali wrote:I don't mind it, Canelo is young and it'll be part of Ortiz vs Mayweather.
He has the fucking WBC title and Gomez has has 2, count 'em, 2 fights in the last 2 years against absolute nothing competition. No way has Gomez earned a title shot...no fucking way!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:17 pm

This match up sucks. Alfredo Angulo sucks. The WBC sucks.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Canvas wrote:Gomez will bring the effort. He has heart and a crowd pleasing style. Alzarez will probably blow him out.

+1

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:25 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:He has the fucking WBC title and Gomez has has 2, count 'em, 2 fights in the last 2 years against absolute nothing competition. No way has Gomez earned a title shot...no fucking way!!!

Why worry yourself over the integrity of a illegitimate title?

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Canvas wrote:Gomez will bring the effort. He has heart and a crowd pleasing style. Alzarez will probably blow him out.

I dont remember Gomez being in an entertaining fight recently.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:29 pm

thats because he hasn't fought recently.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Which is why the fight is a joke.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:46 pm

This is why there is no clear cut # 1 at Jr Middle, and why it's a mess.

# 1 Cotto is fighting unranked MargoCheato
# 2 Angulo hasn't fight in exactly a year this weekend, and next fight possible in August be against the tough TBA
# 3 Alverez is fighting unranked Gomez
# 4 Martirosyan hasn't fight anyone, just fought unranked Saul Roman, who's ranked 39 on Boxrec
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Screw the title, this a perfect fight for Canelo right now, no need to rush him.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Ali wrote:Screw the title, this a perfect fight for Canelo right now, no need to rush him.

I'm getting tired of hearing this. Same shit was said about Bum Jr

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:01 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Ali wrote:Screw the title, this a perfect fight for Canelo right now, no need to rush him.

Canelo is 20 years old, Jr is 25.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Yeah, and people were saying same shit about Bum Jr for years. "Don't rush him." What exactly are you rushing Alverez into? Top Jr Middles are not exactly Death Row. He's got more than a 50% shot at beating anyone in the top ten. Only tough fight I see is with Cotto, who's on the decline, and Angulo, who's been in-active.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

With 37 fights and he's a belt holder. He should be fighting top Jr Middles. He's ranked third in the division. Newsflash, they rushed him. He should be fighting Angulo or Cotto.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't mind the fight if it happens quickly. I expect him to go after the Cotto v. Margo winner and become the face of the division. Gomez is a serviceable tune-up. I would like for him to give Molina a shot though.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Canvas wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:He has the fucking WBC title and Gomez has has 2, count 'em, 2 fights in the last 2 years against absolute nothing competition. No way has Gomez earned a title shot...no fucking way!!!

Why worry yourself over the integrity of a illegitimate title?
It's got nothing to do with that? It's about the level of competition that goes with a belt. Plus, Gomez in no way deserves any kind of title shot.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Canelo should be fighting top 10 guys. Why not put him in with someone like Molina? Molina isn't that big but he will come to fight (and he won't require too much money) Or K-9, who beat Powell and has another belt. K-9 would take the fight because it would be a nice payday.

Those are 2 beatable top 10 ranked guys that should make Canelo work, but ultimately not derail the Canelo express.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Gumby wrote:I don't mind the fight if it happens quickly. I expect him to go after the Cotto v. Margo winner and become the face of the division. Gomez is a serviceable tune-up. I would like for him to give Molina a shot though.

You realy think GB going to put him up against the Cotto-Marg winner? I just don't see it. Unless Cotto wins but looks totaly shot.

I'm sure Arum would love matching Cotto against GB's cash cow.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Fuck that! if you want your fighter to win a championship, he has to fight Contenders from that weight class or champions from here on out. Carlos Molina, Vanes, and K-9 arent very dangerous fights and they would be acceptable for the boxing public. Canelo should be stepping up, not down. Rhodes wasnt a very bad fighter may i say.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Fuck that! if you want your fighter to win a championship, he has to fight Contenders from that weight class or champions from here on out. Carlos Molina, Vanes, and K-9 arent very dangerous fights and they would be acceptable for the boxing public. Canelo should be stepping up, not down. Rhodes wasnt a very bad fighter may i say.

Canelo just fought a top ten guy, Gomez isn't that much of a step down.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Who do you want him to fight!!!!! Simple logistics.
Vanes, Molina, and K-9 are all that are available and would actually take the fight!!!!!!
top 12 guys at 154 he could face:

Cotto-facing Cheato
Cheato-facing Cotto
Cintron-beat down
PW-beat down
Dzinziruk-beat down by Martinez and wouldn't want to jump right back against Alvarez with all likelihood
Angulo-he hasn't fought in a long time!!! Plus, Angulo's team would want to build that fight and make alot more money than now (which now would be a shitty time for it).
Lara-just had a tough fight
Wolak-just had a very tough fight
Powell-lost to K-9

All of those guys are not going to be good opponents for Alvarez at this time. The top guys that make sense are:
Vanes
K-9
Molina

All 3 are not coming off of beatdowns, don't have fights scheduled, haven't been sitting forever, or didn't just fight!!!!! The rest of the guys all have reasons why they don't face Alvarez in the next few months.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next