The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather vs Pac- 2010 deal-Kevin Iole article

+3
Diego408
dmar5143
captainanddew
7 posters

Go down

Mayweather vs Pac- 2010 deal-Kevin Iole article Empty Mayweather vs Pac- 2010 deal-Kevin Iole article

Post  captainanddew Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:44 pm

I cut and paste most of a Kevin Iole article on yahoo sports.

LAS VEGAS – Though sports fans remain desperate to see Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight Manny Pacquiao, in 2010 the superstar boxers came closer to fighting than anyone previously realized, according to a document obtained by Yahoo! Sports.

A contract sent on Dec. 11, 2009, by Golden Boy Promotions on behalf of Mayweather to Top Rank on behalf of Pacquiao proposed a 50-50 financial split between the sides for a fight that would have been held March 13, 2010.

The eight-page agreement is so detailed that it indicates which of the two fighters would step onto the scale first at the weigh-in (Pacquiao), who would walk to the ring first (Pacquiao), who would be introduced first (Mayweather) and who had first choice of the locker room (Mayweather)

It detailed that the bout would have been on HBO Pay-Per-View at a cost of $59.95. Billing was to be "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, presented by Top Rank, Golden Boy Promotions, Mayweather Promotions and M-P Promotions in association with [approved sponsors and the site]."

A Mayweather-Pacquiao bout is expected to be the largest-grossing fight in history, in which total revenues could reach $300 million. Experts have predicted the fight would sell between 2.5 million and 3 million pay-per-views in the U.S.

Given that Mayweather's May 5 bout against Miguel Cotto was priced at $69.95, it would not be unreasonable for Mayweather-Pacquiao to be priced at $79.95 or more. At $79.95, it would generate a whopping $199.875 million if it reached 2.5 million pay-per-view buys.

Pacquiao's side declined the 2009 contract offer because Pacquiao objected to Mayweather's request for the drug testing. Though Pacquiao has subsequently agreed to Mayweather's demands for random blood and urine testing, the sides have not been able to reach agreement on a deal.

Last edited by captainanddew on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Pac- 2010 deal-Kevin Iole article Empty Re: Mayweather vs Pac- 2010 deal-Kevin Iole article

Post  captainanddew Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 pm

captainanddew wrote:LAS VEGAS – Though sports fans remain desperate to see Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight Manny Pacquiao, in 2010 the superstar boxers came closer to fighting than anyone previously realized, according to a document obtained by Yahoo! Sports.

A contract sent on Dec. 11, 2009, by Golden Boy Promotions on behalf of Mayweather to Top Rank on behalf of Pacquiao proposed a 50-50 financial split between the sides for a fight that would have been held March 13, 2010.

The eight-page agreement is so detailed that it indicates which of the two fighters would step onto the scale first at the weigh-in (Pacquiao), who would walk to the ring first (Pacquiao), who would be introduced first (Mayweather) and who had first choice of the locker room (Mayweather)

It detailed that the bout would have been on HBO Pay-Per-View at a cost of $59.95. Billing was to be "Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, presented by Top Rank, Golden Boy Promotions, Mayweather Promotions and M-P Promotions in association with [approved sponsors and the site]."

A Mayweather-Pacquiao bout is expected to be the largest-grossing fight in history, in which total revenues could reach $300 million. Experts have predicted the fight would sell between 2.5 million and 3 million pay-per-views in the U.S.

Given that Mayweather's May 5 bout against Miguel Cotto was priced at $69.95, it would not be unreasonable for Mayweather-Pacquiao to be priced at $79.95 or more. At $79.95, it would generate a whopping $199.875 million if it reached 2.5 million pay-per-view buys.

Pacquiao's side declined the 2009 contract offer because Pacquiao objected to Mayweather's request for the drug testing. Though Pacquiao has subsequently agreed to Mayweather's demands for random blood and urine testing, the sides have not been able to reach agreement on a deal.

so the money was not a damn issue. Pac held up the fight because of the drug testing. As soon as Pac agrees to the drug testing, money becomes an issue for Mayweather. But we should all believe Floyd when he says there is no way he would ever be willing to give Pac 50/50.

Lying motherfucker. You can blame Pac or Floyd for the drug testing back then. But after the drug testing was no longer an issue, Floyd moved the goal posts..... all of a sudden he had another issue.

Will Floyd eventually agree to the fight? If Pac looks so so against Bradley (thus displaying performances the last few years that are declining) then he will have the fight made. If Pac looks better against Bradley, Floyd will use money or some other excuse to delay or avoid the fight.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Pac- 2010 deal-Kevin Iole article Empty Re: Mayweather vs Pac- 2010 deal-Kevin Iole article

Post  dmar5143 Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 pm

with all the pr junk and bs inbetween thats basicaly what happened per captains thoughts...im all the years ive followed boxing the public demand for a fight has never reached this amount of interest for such a long time.not even ali-frazier one..huge money huge huge public support by all including even non casual non boxing fans.
ive said it several times before i lost interest in the fight and i hope it never happens.like a few of you perhaps im tired of reading about this fantasy fight.it got to the point i wanted floyd to lose to cotto which is nothing new since ive never rooted for him and pac to lose to bradley even though pac is one of my favorite fighters of today.i wished that so the talk the hype the jerking off of the public by both of them would stop..
the article failed to mention if floyd had signed the contract sent to top rank.if he did thats in his favor.im sure he approved it or gb would of not sent it but i like a signature on the dotted line.
unfortunetly when pac said no to the drug testing of floyd and i believe it wasnt a nooo no testing he wanted a 21 day cutoff period for blood to be drawn..then pac came to 14 days.then 7.when floyd said 7 days was not acceptable for blood testing the entire collapse of the fight rests on his sholders.they both agreed also one blood test after the fight.theres nothing pac could of taken that disappeared in that short time..all the pr stuff is mute for it rested on floyds sholders.agreement now by pac is bullshit also.he should of said yes in the first place..so fuck both prima donnas.i wish a hearns or a robinson were around today so he would knock the shit out of both these pretenders.90 days apart.fuck this fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 am

Pacquiao's side declined the 2009 contract offer because Pacquiao objected to Mayweather's request for the drug testing.

/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Pacquaio was on some kind of PED at that time, i believed it then and I still believe it now. However, He's probably not on anything anymore though. His performances in the ring and now agreeing to the test indicates that to me at least. You don't turn down that kind of cash because of a simple drug test. Sooner or later, say someone like Alex Ariza will end up spilling the beans about Pacquaio and PEDs once he's in some need of cash.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:17 pm

"he said,she said..."this has become so ludicrous that we all have opinions that we think are fact.it's our frustration,as fans,that we know in our hearts the fights unlikely to happen,so we blame one or the other,when they are both to blame.i agree with earlier poster,i'm over it & actually i hope the divas never fight.then forever they'll have an asterik on their records.the whole time this has been going on,the only winners are them,collecting ppv from fights that don't give them the ultimate challenge.

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:19 pm

I wish both of those knuckleheads could just get together by themselves, cut the bullshit and get it done. They would make more money than either of them deserve and would give the fans what they want. The fans who buy their fights and make them rich.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Diego408 wrote:Pacquaio was on some kind of PED at that time, i believed it then and I still believe it now. However, He's probably not on anything anymore though. His performances in the ring and now agreeing to the test indicates that to me at least. You don't turn down that kind of cash because of a simple drug test. Sooner or later, say someone like Alex Ariza will end up spilling the beans about Pacquaio and PEDs once he's in some need of cash.

And when Ariza doesnt "spill the beans" what are you going to say?
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Good question, but I will always believe Pacquiao was juiced up for most of his Welter and jr welterweight run.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Floyd needs to give an explanation. I wish someone would ask him about this, how come he was willing to accept 50-50 in the past and now he's not. Then have a copy of the contract to back it up. He's in jail...not like he's going anywhere.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Gumby wrote:Floyd needs to give an explanation. I wish someone would ask him about this, how come he was willing to accept 50-50 in the past and now he's not. Then have a copy of the contract to back it up. He's in jail...not like he's going anywhere.

I'd assume Floyd would say he's the bigger draw and generates more dollars.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:54 pm

the way floyd always talks we know he has believed he was the bigger draw for years. That is a bullshit excuse. he had one excuse to not fight Pac (testing). When the testing was no longer an issue the money became an issue so that he could avoid the fight.

He doesn't want the fight until the chance of him losing goes way down.

When he sees that Pac is no longer a serious threat he will take the fight. That is how he works. That is all he does. He matches himself perfectly to stay undefeated.

Why did he retire for a spell? Because 147 was full of tough ass fights. He never wanted that.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:11 pm

That's a weak argument on your part. Since Mayweather came back he's actually beat very good competition. Mosley was ranked #1 at 147, Ortiz was #3 at 147, Cotto was ranked #1 at 154. Shit he beat the #1 lightweight, The same guy that arguably beat Pacquaio at the same weight. There is no reason to believe Mayweather is ducking anyone. He tried to make the fight, but Pacquaio and Arum didn't want it. Shit Pacquaio has been one of the most protected fighters in recent years. Ever since his super featherweight days. He had a worthless trilogy match with Morales, fought Barrera after he lost to Marquez. Even when he did the rematch with Marquez, Pacquaio at first didn't even want it. Marquez gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. Then he fought weak ass David Diaz, an over the hill sucked up DLH, that bum Ricky Hatton, Cotto who was weight drained, Clottey who refused to fight, shot Margarito at a catch weight, and then got schooled by a blown up lightweight. Mayweather tried to make the Pacquaio fight because he knows it an easy fight. Even Arum knows it.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:18 pm

That's why I said when he came back from retirement. We all know Floyd was a ducker in the past to preserve his undefeated record, but now I personally think he's doing everything for his legacy which is always critizised and it's rightfully so. I actually respect Floyd's work since the Marquez fight. Mayweather tried to make the fight but team Pacquaio knows he's going to lose if he gets in the ring with Floyd.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 pm

captainanddew wrote:the way floyd always talks we know he has believed he was the bigger draw for years. That is a bullshit excuse. he had one excuse to not fight Pac (testing). When the testing was no longer an issue the money became an issue so that he could avoid the fight.

He doesn't want the fight until the chance of him losing goes way down.

When he sees that Pac is no longer a serious threat he will take the fight. That is how he works. That is all he does. He matches himself perfectly to stay undefeated.

Why did he retire for a spell? Because 147 was full of tough ass fights. He never wanted that.

It goes both ways though. You can't put all of the blame on Floyd. Pac's the guy who didn't want to take the test. And I think at one point he or someone reported that he was willing to take less money. At this point it way too complicated to just go, "this guy's to blame, he's scared."

Floyd retired because there were a bunch of tough fights against unproven guys who weren't household names. He came back when Pac started making headlines. It seemed like he came back with the intention of fighting Pac and getting back his status as top dog.

I posted it a while back but Floyd hasn't taken the "easy" path, he's taken the "highest paying path." The fights he took were not the hardest he could've taken, but several were harder than the ones he avoided. He was calling out Mosley and Oscar back when he was at 130, he's not a ducker. Ortiz wasn't a safe fight (bigger guy, southpaw, somewhat unknown/unpredictable). Cotto was a safer fight, but still a real challenge.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down