The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Iole's fight and fighter of the year

5 posters

Go down

Kevin Iole's fight and fighter of the year Empty Kevin Iole's fight and fighter of the year

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:41 am

Fighter of the Year – Sergio Martinez won the World Boxing Council and World Boxing Organization middleweight belts from Kelly Pavlik on April 17 in Atlantic City, closing strong over the final four rounds to pull out a unanimous decision victory. Then, on Nov. 20, Martinez retained his belt with a one-punch second-round knockout of Paul Williams in a rematch of what was the 2009 Yahoo! Sports Fight of the Year. Runners-up: Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez, Juan Manuel Lopez.

Fight of the Year
–Juan Manuel Marquez TKO 9 Michael Katsidis, Nov. 27, MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas. The fight was a great back-and-forth bout and Katsidis dumped Marquez in the third round. But Marquez was brutally efficient and took control of the bout at the midpoint, busting Katsidis up with his pinpoint accuracy. Runners-up: Juan Manuel Lopez-Rafael Marquez, Abner Mares-Yohnny Perez, Ivan Calderon-Giovanni Segura, Carl Froch-Mikkel Kessler, Rocky Martinez-Ricky Burns

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-boxyear120210

Erm isn't this a bit premature ?

Back to top Go down

Kevin Iole's fight and fighter of the year Empty Re: Kevin Iole's fight and fighter of the year

Post  hardcorebee24 Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:47 am

He also said Martinez's left hook is what put PW out. Fuck this guy.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Kevin Iole's fight and fighter of the year Empty Re: Kevin Iole's fight and fighter of the year

Post  gomez1012 Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 am

hardcorebee24 wrote:He also said Martinez's left hook is what put PW out. Fuck this guy.

Twisted Evil
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 am

I guess the remaining fights in this year don't warrant consideration to Iole.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I try to give Iole a chance but he does come across as a bit of a homer, he needs to just decide whether he wants to cover boxing or MMA, because covering both is taking it's strain on his already average work.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Ali wrote:I try to give Iole a chance but he does come across as a bit of a homer, he needs to just decide whether he wants to cover boxing or MMA, because covering both is taking it's strain on his already average work.

I dont even consider Yahoo a source for boxing info
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Its Unanimus that Martinez is Fighter Of The Year. Fight Of The Year is debatable: Froch-Kessler, R Marquez-Lopez, JM Marquez-Katsidis, R Martinez-Burns, and my personal favorite Segura-Calderon. Segura vs Calderon was a war, thats the fight that stands out the most for me.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:He also said Martinez's left hook is what put PW out. Fuck this guy.
huh? Im pretty sure it was a left hook that put out Williams.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:31 pm

Diego408 wrote:Its Unanimus that Martinez is Fighter Of The Year. Fight Of The Year is debatable: Froch-Kessler, R Marquez-Lopez, JM Marquez-Katsidis, R Martinez-Burns, and my personal favorite Segura-Calderon. Segura vs Calderon was a war, thats the fight that stands out the most for me.

I think Burns-Rocky deserves it but they wont get it

Rafa-JML a very close 2nd
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Diego408 wrote:

It was an overhand left, southpaws don't throw hooks with their left hand.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Ali wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

It was an overhand left, southpaws don't throw hooks with their left hand.
It looks like a left overhand hook to me.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:56 pm

it was a overhand left..a hook is thrown at a different angle and body position...his choices are very good ones..martinez yes FOY theres noo fights left this year to overide sergio..fight of the year there are as mentioned 5 or 6 in the hunt..the one he picked i got no problem with.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:00 pm

dmar5143 wrote:it was a overhand left..a hook is thrown at a different angle and body position...his choices are very good ones..martinez yes FOY theres noo fights left this year to overide sergio..fight of the year there are as mentioned 5 or 6 in the hunt..the one he picked i got no problem with.
I figured it was a L Hook (but I knew he overhanded it because thats how he always release his money punch), the HBO guys were saying it was a L Hook themselves. I wonder if anyone caught it, but Stewart first said it was a Right Hook, but later corrected himself.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 pm

the hbo guys were dead wrong is naming the punch a left hook..there mistake should not be considered a correct call on the type of punch it was..

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:03 pm

I guess Grant's favorite writer thought that the only high profile fight remaining is Borenard vs Pascal.

No

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:55 am

Segura had four...count 'em four fights in 2010 winning all by stoppage. He fought two of those fights above his normal weight of 108 and KO'd two 112 pounders. Add to that his convincing KO of previously undefeated Ivan Calderon to add the WBO & WBA straps to his resume' and there is your fighter of the year. Iole only knows the bigger names & fighters. His boxing knowledge is very limited.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down