The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Word is out, Guerreo and Mayweather are close to getting a deal signed

+4
flapanther2001
SlickMoney
GrantZilla
Diego408
8 posters

Go down

Word is out, Guerreo and Mayweather are close to getting a deal signed Empty Word is out, Guerreo and Mayweather are close to getting a deal signed

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 am

Im back in town for Winter break and rumors about Guerrero fighting Floyd have spread. The Guerrero camp is saying their close to getting the Mayweather fight. I will not be surprised when this fight is signed.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Word is out, Guerreo and Mayweather are close to getting a deal signed Empty Re: Word is out, Guerreo and Mayweather are close to getting a deal signed

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:21 am

What I said in another thread about this, Mayweather is about risk/reward, and there is ZERO reward fighting Guerrero. He is a nobody, with no fanbase at all. Fighting on his coveted Cinco de Mayo weekend will do nothing to sell this fight. Guerrero has little to no Mexican fanbase.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Word is out, Guerreo and Mayweather are close to getting a deal signed Empty Re: Word is out, Guerreo and Mayweather are close to getting a deal signed

Post  SlickMoney Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 am

What boxing fan wants to see this fight? They'll probably put Canelo on the undercard to boost buy rates.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:06 am

SlickMoney wrote:What boxing fan wants to see this fight? They'll probably put Canelo on the undercard to boost buy rates.

I dunno. Canelo from interviews pretty much stated he's tired of being on Mayweather undercards and he's moved beyond them. Why GB had to do the whole split site thing to get him on the last undercard.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:26 am

Is that what Ellerbe meant by "the little guy"?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 am

I honestly just can not see this fight happening. Mayweather may be many things, but he isn't stupid when it comes to this stuff. He knows who can sell and who can't.

If he thinks Mexicans will tune in to support Guerrero on Cinco De Mayo, he is greatly mistaken.

The guy has no fan base, a boring style, and is not coming of any big wins, just in-activity. Had he fought Maidana and won, I could maybe see it. Add on, he's never fought above Lightweight.

How the fuck do even go about selling this shit?
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 am

What kind of a risk to Floyd is Canelo? Floyd arguably has an easier time against his style than Ghost (though he should beat both easily) and at least Canelo makes this a bigg(ish) event on Cinco de Mayo. Don't see the point of a Guerrero fight at all.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Disgusting.

Guerrero should be ashamed.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 pm

The hype machine has started:

Robert Guerrero Will Attend The VH1 Movie Awards

The 17th Annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards are set to air this Thursday, January 12, on VH1 and multiple world champion boxer, Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero has been invited. Guerrero will join the red carpet walk with mega-movies stars like Leonardo Dicaprio, George Clooney and Brad Pitt to name a few.

“It’s going to be fantastic attending the CCRA because this is one of the biggest events in Hollywood and a predictor to the Oscars. The movie stars that attend this event are the people that bring joy to our lives through movies that we watch with our families. I’m pleased that a portion of the proceeds will go to the J/P HRO Haitian Relief Organization, a charity that Sean Penn founded to help finance and bring the basic needs to the Haitian families struggling after the earthquake of 2010.”

With a potential Floyd Mayweather fight looming, Robert Guerrero continued, “Attending this event is the beginning of a tremendous year for my family and team. We’ve worked so hard over the years and its paying off. Last year I walked the red carpet at Robert Downey Jr.’s American Cinematheque Award Presentation, the 12th Annual Latin Grammy Awards, and now the Choice Movie Awards. I vision myself walking many more red carpets and landing a fight with Floyd Mayweather will enhance my rise to stardom, because I’m going to shock the world and dethrone boxing’s pound for pound champion.

http://tinyurl.com/6nlc8ak
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:18 pm

GBP is putting Guerreros name every where so they can make his name relevant and known. If Pacquiao ducks Floyd, I think GBP will bring Guerrero in as plan B. Guerrero has a good back story to sell, and it's the reason why he's being considered.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Diego408 wrote:GBP is putting Guerreros name every where so they can make his name relevant and known. If Pacquiao ducks Floyd, I think GBP will bring Guerrero in as plan B. Guerrero has a good back story to sell, and it's the reason why he's being considered.

So this is how it is. Instead of making a name by actually beating top guys, send a nobody to some Award show and hope somebody notices.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Diego408 wrote:GBP is putting Guerreros name every where so they can make his name relevant and known. If Pacquiao ducks Floyd, I think GBP will bring Guerrero in as plan B. Guerrero has a good back story to sell, and it's the reason why he's being considered.

if Floyd wants to lose bargaining power in a possible fight vs Pac by having a PPV that doesn't sell then go ahead and fight Guerrero.

Guerrero- beats 2 scrubs, fringe guy (escobedo) and top 10 ranked Katsidis at lightweight
Geuerrero- beats 39 year old Casamayor at 140

Backstory or not, it will not sell very well. If he had torn up 135, moved up to 140 and beaten a formidable opponent, then at least we couldn't laugh at it.

It is a joke for him to get this level of fight. Even punk motherfucker, Brandon Rios, has done more at 135.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Tobe wrote:What kind of a risk to Floyd is Canelo? Floyd arguably has an easier time against his style than Ghost (though he should beat both easily) and at least Canelo makes this a bigg(ish) event on Cinco de Mayo. Don't see the point of a Guerrero fight at all.

Canelo is a huge risk to Floyd. Maybe the toughest fight of his career. If he doesn't get Guerrero he should go after JMM again and try to make Manny look bad. I don't see a whole lot of options for him.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Gumby wrote:
Tobe wrote:What kind of a risk to Floyd is Canelo? Floyd arguably has an easier time against his style than Ghost (though he should beat both easily) and at least Canelo makes this a bigg(ish) event on Cinco de Mayo. Don't see the point of a Guerrero fight at all.

Canelo is a huge risk to Floyd. Maybe the toughest fight of his career. If he doesn't get Guerrero he should go after JMM again and try to make Manny look bad. I don't see a whole lot of options for him.

I'm sorry, the "toughest fight of his career"? Canelo looks like he might be a top fighter eventually but he's done nothing to prove he's on the level of some of the guys on Floyd's resume (Oscar, Shane, Marquez, Ortiz, Chico, etc.). Also his style is far too predictable and robotic to be a problem for Floyd. I do agree he's got very few options though.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 pm

I think we give Canelo little credit. The guy is one hell of a fighter and he's just 21. I like where his heads at. In post fight interview against Cintron, He said hes just trying to face the face the best and noted he's not just in it for the money but he's trying to be great. This guy IMO based on size, power and technique is the biggest threat Floyd faces out side of Martinez.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:51 pm

SlickMoney wrote:What boxing fan wants to see this fight? They'll probably put Canelo on the undercard to boost buy rates.

Yup, maybe even Ortiz
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down