The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch's resume is more impressive than Calzaghe's imo

+2
captainanddew
kbyte
6 posters

Go down

Froch's resume is more impressive than Calzaghe's imo Empty Froch's resume is more impressive than Calzaghe's imo

Post  kbyte Sun May 27, 2012 6:53 am

Even before the fight last night I was thinking that Froch is really underrated. He has fought everyone at 168 and beaten most of them.

Lets look at who hes beaten.

Jean Pascal - Gave him his first loss
Jermain Taylor - Second man to beat him
Andre Dirrell - Gave him his first loss
Arthur Abraham - Dominated him and his only loss was the DQ to Dirrell
Glen Johnson
Lucian Bute - Undefeated, highly rated and favoured to beat Froch. Got destroyed.

His only losses are a very close one to Kessler and the wide decision to Ward.

Lets look at who Calzaghe has beaten.

Chris Eubank
Jeff Lacy - Gave him his first loss, highly rated and favoured to beat Calzaghe
Mikkel Kessler - Gave him his first loss
Bernard Hopkins

Now I'll admit I may not be giving Calzaghe enough credit so tell me what you guys think and whether there are any other notable wins for him that I should have listed. I really just don't think very much of Calzaghe and think Froch has had the more satisfying career. I don't give Calzaghe much credit for holding on to that WBO rag in Wales for years either.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Froch's resume is more impressive than Calzaghe's imo Empty Re: Froch's resume is more impressive than Calzaghe's imo

Post  captainanddew Sun May 27, 2012 8:13 am

kbyte wrote:Even before the fight last night I was thinking that Froch is really underrated. He has fought everyone at 168 and beaten most of them.

Glen Johnson
Lucian Bute - Undefeated, highly rated and favoured to beat Froch. Got destroyed.

Chris Eubank
Bernard Hopkins

Now I'll admit I may not be giving Calzaghe enough credit so tell me what you guys think and whether there are any other notable wins for him that I should have listed. I really just don't think very much of Calzaghe and think Froch has had the more satisfying career. I don't give Calzaghe much credit for holding on to that WBO rag in Wales for years either.

Beat Eubank for a vacant trinket. Beating Lacy and Kessler was impressive. Both were highly respected, Lacy was favored by boxing writers and fans alike, and Kessler has continued to give pretty good performances. Roy Jones was shot. BHOP-was a little long in the tooth and it was a close win.
He did beat Bika as well.

How talented was Calzaghe? I think he would have beaten everyone in the super 6 except Ward. I think that would be a pick em fight. I think Ward would have eventually suffocated him. How much did Calzaghe really get out of his talent?? Not nearly as much as Froch. Calzaghe was more than content to just stay in Wales and fight okay mandatories for a long, long, long, long, long time.

Very disconcerting that 2 of the most talented guys of that generation (Calzaghe and Roy Jones) were content to not face great competition during their primes.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Froch's resume is more impressive than Calzaghe's imo Empty Re: Froch's resume is more impressive than Calzaghe's imo

Post  Guest Sun May 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Joe's problem is he wasted the majority of his career with Frank Warren.

Froch's not as talented as Joe was but he's more popular and respectable. But at the end of the day Calzaghe has wins over HOF'ers and has captured two lineal titles.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun May 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Calslappy has a mediocre resume. For being in the sport so long he didn't do much. His Kessler and BHop victories make him one of the better fighters of our era at Super Middle and Lt Heavy division. Joe was protected for most of his career by Warren. It allowed him to go undefeated and now does all the cocaine he wants.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun May 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Diego408 wrote:Calslappy has a mediocre resume. For being in the sport so long he didn't do much. His Kessler and BHop victories make him one of the better fighters of our era at Super Middle and Lt Heavy division. Joe was protected for most of his career by Warren. It allowed him to go undefeated and now does all the cocaine he wants.

lol.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon May 28, 2012 2:08 am

kbyte wrote:Even before the fight last night I was thinking that Froch is really underrated. He has fought everyone at 168 and beaten most of them.

Glen Johnson

Chris Eubank
Bernard Hopkins

I agree that his resume is better. However, I think Dirrell actually defeated him (even though Dirrell fought like a cheap punk). Although, I do think he should have been given the nod vs. Kessler. Thus, his record is accurate.

Is he better than Joe? No, but his resume is definitely better and he is a more respectable and entertaining fighter.

Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon May 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Calzaghe did it for much longer. Carl's got the better names on his resume but Calzaghe's got the title defense streak and the 0. Carl may very well get there but I personally don't put him quite there yet and don't know if I would ever put him as a better fighter than Cal.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Gumby wrote:Calzaghe did it for much longer. Carl's got the better names on his resume but Calzaghe's got the title defense streak and the 0. Carl may very well get there but I personally don't put him quite there yet and don't know if I would ever put him as a better fighter than Cal.

Yes, but the question isn't if he's a better fighter. The question is if he has a better resume.

Calzaghe has two good wins: Kessler and Hopkins. The rest of his opponents were nobodies and a very old/out of prime Roy Jones Jr (who knocked him down in the 1st round).

Froch has defeated: Jean Pascal, Jermaine Taylor, Anthony Dirrell, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, and Lucian Bute. He has also fought Mikkel Kessler and Andre Ward. I personally had him losing to Dirrell, but defeating Kessler (so it balances out). That is 8 big names on Froch's resume vs. only two on Cazlaghe's (unless you count Jeff Lacy who was very hyped up at the time). Also, Froch's career isn't over yet. He still has a few more big name fights lined up.

In the end, Froch has (and will have) the best resume and be the more respected fighter (even if he wasn't as good as Calzaghe).
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Tue May 29, 2012 12:15 am

I agree that Carl has the better resume but Calzaghe would've dominated a fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down