The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!!

5 posters

Go down

Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!! Empty Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!!

Post  Guest Fri May 11, 2012 4:06 pm

They don't call Floyd Mayweather Jr. "Money" for nothing.

Mayweather's junior middleweight title victory against Miguel Cotto on HBO PPV last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas generated a whopping 1.5 million pay-per-view buys and $94 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue, HBO Sports announced Friday.

The performance ranks as the second-highest grossing pay-per-view for a non-heavyweight fight in history.

No. 1 all time remains Mayweather's 2007 victory against Oscar De La Hoya, in which he also claimed a junior middleweight belt. That fight generated all-time records for any weight class with 2.46 million buys and $137 million in pay-per-view revenue.

The 1.5 million figure for Mayweather-Cotto will grow once all of the numbers are accounted for, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who promoted the fight with Mayweather Promotions.

"The 1.5 million number is actual reported numbers," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "The final number will definitely be bigger than what it is now."

In nine HBO PPV main events, Mayweather has generated 9.6 million buys and $543 million in television revenue, according to HBO.

Mayweather-Cotto moved past Mayweather's 2010 victory against Shane Mosley, which did 1.4 million buys and $78 million in revenue. Mayweather's knockout of Victor Ortiz in September sold 1.25 million subscriptions and generated $78.4 million. The higher revenue for the Ortiz fight is because the cost of the pay-per-view was higher.

"Floyd Mayweather's numbers are getting bigger and bigger and this number shows you the kind of draw he is," Schaefer said. "He's a superstar and able to capture the interest of a large audience. He has broken out of the boxing following and now has a mainstream following that is unmatched in the sport. The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger."

According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Mayweather-Cotto also had the ninth-biggest gate in state history, generating $12,000,150 from 14,612 tickets sold.

HBO will replay Mayweather's decision victory against Cotto on Saturday night along with junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez's decision win against Shane Mosley, which was the co-feature of the card.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7919965/floyd-mayweather-miguel-cotto-rakes-94m-ppv-sales

60/40 I whoop you ass.

Back to top Go down

Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!! Empty Re: Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!!

Post  dmar5143 Fri May 11, 2012 4:32 pm

i had anticiaped about 1.7 million buys so it may be close.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!! Empty Re: Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!!

Post  GrantZilla Fri May 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Let's not credit Cotto, the 3rd biggest PPV seller or the fact Canelo was on the card for that number. Nope. It was all Floyd.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri May 11, 2012 7:56 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Let's not credit Cotto, the 3rd biggest PPV seller or the fact Canelo was on the card for that number. Nope. It was all Floyd.

..absolutley true.all of that was a possitive factor.also oscar was the big factor in that high ppv fight..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri May 11, 2012 8:04 pm

the gate though is mostly all floyd.that i give him credit for.the average of about 800 dollars a ticket is because live floyd draws thoses numbers per ticket sales.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri May 11, 2012 8:54 pm

it was a ppv set up to succeed.
Canelo grabs mexican americans
Cotto was coming off a revenge rematch victory.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 12, 2012 12:38 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Let's not credit Cotto, the 3rd biggest PPV seller or the fact Canelo was on the card for that number. Nope. It was all Floyd.

Floyd vs. Cotto 1.5 million buys !!! 29bo8wm

Back to top Go down

Post  nano212 Sat May 12, 2012 12:41 pm

That's a big number. I always say I am not ordering the cards and end up buying them ha ha. Me and my dad went half only cuz he is sold on Canelo. The $70 price tag was insane tho. I told him lets hope the fucken pac-may fight dont go down cuz easy $89.99 making it $99.99 for HD.

Last edited by nano212 on Sat May 12, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
nano212
nano212

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 12, 2012 12:42 pm

nano212 wrote:That's a big number. I always say I am not ordering the cards and end up buying them ha ha. Me and my dad went half only cux he is sold on Canelo. The $70 price tag was insane tho. I told him lets hope the fucken pac-may fight dont go down cuz easy $89.99 making it $99.99 for HD.

IF Pac vs. Floyd ever happens I wonder if they'll jack up the price tag.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat May 12, 2012 10:45 pm

maybe pac should tell arum to put a big draw on his under card too. as far as it looks now, pacs PPV wont beat mayweathers.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat May 12, 2012 11:06 pm

powerpuncher wrote:maybe pac should tell arum to put a big draw on his under card too. as far as it looks now, pacs PPV wont beat mayweathers.

Floyd fights Ortiz after Ortiz beat berto in a barnburner on hbo. he fights cotto after cotto got his revenge against margacheato.

floyd isn't dumb. He makes sure to grab his opponents at the right time, and with canelo on the undercard.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down