The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FLOYD VS WELTER GREATS OF THE PAST.

3 posters

Go down

FLOYD VS WELTER GREATS OF THE PAST. Empty FLOYD VS WELTER GREATS OF THE PAST.

Post  dmar5143 Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:39 am

im going to give my thoughts on how floyd does against some of the greats of the past in the welter division.my thoughts may suprize a few.first i dont rank floyd as a top ten welter ever.nor do i rank him in the top ten ever in traditional weight classes he fought in.lighweight feather for example..there are just too many reasons justified to explain why yet ill rate floyd as one of boxings true elites the best of the best the greatest of the greatest which to me is the top 100 fighters ever by my critera ..here goes.1. floyd vs robinson.here floyd meets a fighter whos seen it all.fighters that did things as well or better then floyd.floyd on the other hand hasnt meet a guy like ray.no one comes close.the first six rounds floyd does very well.its about even or floyd may be up by a point.the turning point now comes.robby is done playing chess with floyd and starts to overwelm floyd with fast powerfull combos.he outfoxes floyd with angles and now controls the fight with his jab.this continues for the next few rounds as floyds defense robby penatrates and floyd has not felt power speed like this before.floyd is litterly forced to fight back as robby koes him in 11..
2.mickey walker.mickey is a strong contender to make anyones top ten greatest fighters of all time.he was a giant killer..floyd has to counterpunch effectively against walker and hew does it well.floyd hold when mickey gets in close and gets off first most of the time.floyds intelligence wins a close 15 round UD but theres a rematch..here floyd meets a differnt walker.one who actualy trained for the fight.revenge is sweet as floyd ahead on points after nine is getting hammered by walker.mickey could punch big time and the body shots takes its toll as the fight is stoped in 13..armstrong..floyd has problems with the buzzsaw.hanks relentless body attact makes floyd a easy target the last few rounds as hank the smaller man by 10 pounds wins a close 15 round ud...tommy hearns..see the robinson fight only tommy doesnt play chess.he litterly lays floyd out in 5...jimmy mcclarlin..this is a boring fight.floyd counters well.holds when needed to avoid jimmys right hand.gets of first often.wins a 15 round UD.barney ross..theres no doubt ross is the greater fighter.ross boxes well so does floyd.barney doesnt have the punch to get floyd in a constant defence mold so floyd takes adavantage of that since floyd is the more fluid fighter.he does enought to win a split 15 rounder.jose naploes.this is a good tatical fight.floyd matches naploes in every department except power.hes a shade more clever and wins a 15 round ud in a fight that has action in small spurts only.kid gavilin..the kid can do everything floyd does and most of it better.this is a fight that folks who like skill and a high ring iq will love.gavilin experience and the far greater opposition he fought over floyd makes the differnce.for the first time floyd is actualy outsmarted.the kid in a close 15 round ud..barbadoes joe walcott..a lengendary fighter with punch skill etc etc but at 4 foot 11 hes no match for floyds speed of hand ring generalship boxing abilty.floyd in nine.emile griffith..again floyd meets a totaly complete fighter.floyd boxes well.he has to use all his craft to keep in the fight.a three fight series floyd wins one losses two.all close fights.luis rodrigues.heres a guy whos speed is greater then floyds but floyds smarts angles to counter rodrigues angles serves him well.floyd wins two out of three fights.
carmen basilio..here floyd meets a guy with a great left hook and fantastic body puncher as well as a guy whos fought a better version of floyd in robinson or maybe a gavilin.floyd fights beautifull for the first 11 rounds is up 8-3 but hes had a beating given to him in the body.floyd gets cute in round 12 but basilio turns animal.hes relentless.floyd can have all the sholder rolls he wants but carmen mixes punches to the head and body well.he steps up a furious pace in round 13 and pulls out a come from behind ko win....floyd stops cuevess inside 9.beats palimino with ease over 15.stops bratton in 10 in a hard fight where floyd come off the floor.outpoints saxon comfortably.has a war with tony demarco who forces floyd to fight again floyd comes off the floor to win in 11..thats how i see it guys.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

FLOYD VS WELTER GREATS OF THE PAST. Empty Re: FLOYD VS WELTER GREATS OF THE PAST.

Post  dmar5143 Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:48 am

sugar ray leanord.hand speed motivation power combos finishing abilty all belong to leanard.floyd does well for 7 rounds but leanord is actualy smarter the floyd and craftier.he stops floyd late.mark breland..floyd litterly takes him apart with intelligence inside 11.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

FLOYD VS WELTER GREATS OF THE PAST. Empty Re: FLOYD VS WELTER GREATS OF THE PAST.

Post  Frank Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Dmar, I pretty much see it the same way. My only problem is, why are we giving Floyd the benefit of the doubt in comparing him with all time great WWs, when he's made it a point to duck the greatest welterweights of his day? Sure Leonard, Robinson, Hearns, etc would've beaten Floyd. However, fighters during Floyd's prime in the WW division were ducked. No need to go into names at this point.

I think that MW is a HOF fighter. I also think that, regardless of the fame he's accomplished as a WW, it's been the home of his weakest performances. As a junior lightweight and lightweight, MW was a lean, mean violent machine. I think he's' much more successful in challenging the great lightweights of the past. For example, I think he would've outboxed Arguello (To the dismay of nearly everyone. LOL) en route to an impressive 15 round decision. I think he would've beaten Chavez and Rosario as well. (You make the call in a MW vs. Ike Williams fight. I like Ike, but I'll admit to having limited exposure to him.)

In the junior lightweight division, he would've had no trouble with Chacon, Bazooka Limon, Edwards, etc.

Dream fight at the lightweight division; A prime Hector Camacho vs. Floyd Mayweather. Ohhhhh, how I'd love to see that. Hell, I'd pay 20 bucks to attend the press conference. That crazy son of a bitch Camacho would've found a way to embarrass Floyd's whole camp. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:50 pm

frank thanks for the comments and yes floyd-camacho would of been a interesting promotion and hector would more then hold his own with floyd there.myself in not a beliver in the 130 pound division or 122 etc etc there bullshit phoney divisions..floyd as a lightweight may have been at his best but the competion there is extremly strong.camacho for example and many here may disagree but was one beatifull complete fighter who got fucked up on drugs.he could box use angles as a southpaw extremly well spin and hit you jabbed fast with power and yes could punch dispite the thoughts on this forum.he knew ever trick in the book and was a ultimate cutie.a fighter who had a fantastic career dispite the fact he wasted his unlimited potential.ill take hector at his best over floyd.surpized huh..i agree he beats chavez in a UD dispite the fact chavez at the weight ill rate higher.rosario i felt was mediocre compared to the tops in lw history.floyd wins inside 15..duran takes him out of there.duran did everything well at that weight.benny leanord beats him.he outboxes carlos ortiz but sorry not argulleo.beau jack in his prime shocks him.joe gans also.he splits 2 fights with lou ambers who i feel is one of the 10 most underated fighters of all time.he wins a close fight with ike williams but gets stoped in the rematch.he beats ken bucannon in a boring fight.wins lobsided over joe brown.barney ross and armstrong we already talked about.ill take mosley in a close fight.canzanerri believe it or not was too cleaver and had to much handspeed for floyd.yes thats right.i think he outpoints billy petrole in a close fight but average guys like jenkins gives him problems.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Are you sure about Arguello? I mean, this whole thing is speculative, and I think Arguello is one of the top ten KO artists in the history of the sport, however he was terrible against boxers. He was bested by Vilomar Fernandez and nobody's accusing Vilomar of being an ATG. Maybe you're right, but did you consider that?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:41 pm

yes frank i did.alexis had a awsome hard jab and threw straight punches and could counter very well.he catches floyd by outsmarting outfieghting him into a vulnerable position .hes no marquez in there for sure.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 pm

How did I miss this thread? Great topic.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down