The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pac says he'd fight Martinez at welter

+6
Frank
Suavecito80
SlickMoney
Soonermark890
dmar5143
GrantZilla
10 posters

Go down

Pac says he'd fight Martinez at welter Empty Pac says he'd fight Martinez at welter

Post  GrantZilla Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:22 am

By Chris LaBate

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is not interested in moving up to a higher weight division. The WBC Diamond champion at middleweight, Sergio Martinez, has been chasing a possible fight with Pacquiao. During last month's pre-fight promotion for his title defense against Darren Barker, Martinez said he was willing to "risk his health" by dropping all the way down to 150-pounds to fight Pacquiao.

"I must go down to 150 and take a risk with my health. I want to prove that pound for pound I'm the best boxer. Now there is no excuse," Martinez said.

However, a fight with Pacquiao will require a few more pounds. If Martinez wants to get in the ring with Pacquiao, he will have to risk a lot more than his health by shaving off enough weight to make the welterweight limit of 147-pounds. Martinez, once a 147-pounder, has not made the welterweight limit since October of 2001.

"If Sergio Martinez can get to 147 pounds, why not? We can negotiate a weight," Pacquiao told the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-if-sergio-martinez-make-147-ill-fight-him--45274

So Pac can steal Marinez's belt at Jr Middle, but he won't fight Martinez there
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Pac says he'd fight Martinez at welter Empty Re: Pac says he'd fight Martinez at welter

Post  dmar5143 Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:44 am

martinez cannot win that fight at 147.i wish they would stop talking about this fight at 147 or 150.martinez has little chance droping down that far and pac has little chance at 155 i think.
its no differnt when the boxing community was talking chavez vs leanord.ray finaly put a end to the speculation saying the fight is a joke.chavez is simply to small.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Pac says he'd fight Martinez at welter Empty Re: Pac says he'd fight Martinez at welter

Post  GrantZilla Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:17 am

I say if Pac, his fangirls, and the media continue to claim he's a champ at Jr middle by winning the trinket that was stripped away from Martinez, then they have no room to claim he's too small at Jr Middle
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 am

GrantZilla wrote:I say if Pac, his fangirls, and the media continue to claim he's a champ at Jr middle by winning the trinket that was stripped away from Martinez, then they have no room to claim he's too small at Jr Middle
Why is it everyone doesnt want Martinez to go up to LH to fight BHOP or someone like that but Pac has to go up to fight Martinez at his natural weight? Its all bullshit. If Martinez wants the payday let him come down otherwise he needs to move on. Besides I would rather see Pac fight one of the WW's out there right now.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I say if Pac, his fangirls, and the media continue to claim he's a champ at Jr middle by winning the trinket that was stripped away from Martinez, then they have no room to claim he's too small at Jr Middle

We're suppose to ignore trinkets, no?

I agree with Dmar, they need to just stop with the speculation of this fight happening. We will never see this fight.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Of course he'll get Sergio to drain himself.

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm

He has learned well from Roach. Drain'em.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:26 pm

I bet there would also be a limit to how much Martinez is allowed to rehydrate after the weigh-in.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Martinez is a MW. If you are to fight him, you should have to challenge him for his title. Division jumping is a brave and skillful art....when it's division jumping.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:I bet there would also be a limit to how much Martinez is allowed to rehydrate after the weigh-in.

Martinez can't make 147. He can still make 154, maybe 151, but 147 is a weight he can't make.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Of course he'll get Sergio to drain himself.
Thats what Pacquaio likes.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:26 pm

With all respect to every opinion given here, Pac has challenged every WW at a weight close enough for that respective WW to give his best. Cotto, Hatton,Margarito,even Oscar all have no excuse. This Martinez situation is different from the way Pac has carried out his career.

By the way, Ray Leonard originally wanted Marvin Hagler to come down to 154. Negotiations have been public for some time, though they go up and down and up again, depending. I wouldn't put any importance on anything being said about Manny and Sergio at this time. By the way, the fight we still want to see is MW vs. Manny, not this other shit.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm

I agree with Sooner and somewhat with Frank on this one. Pac has done more than enough division jumping. Sergio is one step further than Pac can successfully do. I would love to see him try but I don't expect it nor is it my first choice. Mayweather, some junior welters, and even some junior middleweights are available to Pac in a more fair fight.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:I agree with Sooner and somewhat with Frank on this one. Pac has done more than enough division jumping. Sergio is one step further than Pac can successfully do. I would love to see him try but I don't expect it nor is it my first choice. Mayweather, some junior welters, and even some junior middleweights are available to Pac in a more fair fight.

1-I have no problem with Pac not facing Martinez because if you are going to give up 17-18 pounds in the ring, then you have to be careful (Pac did face the much bigger Margarito who weighed approx 165 in the ring to Pac's 147 or 148).

2-I'm tired of hearing people say Martinez should give up 15 or so pounds in the ring against the top super middles. If Martinez is going to fight guys who are that much bigger than him, then he should be careful in his selections, just like Pac.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
Why is it everyone doesnt want Martinez to go up to LH to fight BHOP or someone like that but Pac has to go up to fight Martinez at his natural weight? Its all bullshit. If Martinez wants the payday let him come down otherwise he needs to move on. Besides I would rather see Pac fight one of the WW's out there right now.
Levels of greatness. People think because Pac is so talented he has a shot to beat Martinez or at least make it an exciting fight. Martinez is an excellent fighter but he gets blown out at 168 or 175. Plus he's not a physical marvel like Pac who has retained his speed and power to the relatively much higher degree moving up in weight.

People want to see Pac v. Martinez at 154-5 because Pac has a chance and he could beat Martinez at his natural weight. It would be the feather in the cap of an ATG career. If it was at welter, it would be like his De La Hoya victory where he won a handicapped fight. Even if he lost it probably wouldn't hurt his legacy.

Long story short. Pac v. Martinez at 154-5 does not seem like a mismatch (although Martinez would be the favorite). Martinez v. any of the top guys at 168-175 does.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:05 am

To be fair Pac is at his limit at Welter, I mean he's having to eat thousands of calories a day just to compete in the division.

I wish both would just ignore the fight and concentrate on their respective divisions.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:To be fair Pac is at his limit at Welter, I mean he's having to eat thousands of calories a day just to compete in the division.

I wish both would just ignore the fight and concentrate on their respective divisions.
+1
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:09 am

First they said 150 now its 147? Its funny how ppl still defend Pac after all the catchweights and farce PPV's. He can easily make 135 but is fighting Marquez at 144. But its ok when Packy does it.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 am

SlickMoney wrote:First they said 150 now its 147? Its funny how ppl still defend Pac after all the catchweights and farce PPV's. He can easily make 135 but is fighting Marquez at 144. But its ok when Packy does it.

That's what I'm getting at. Huggers and the media call him a Jr Middle Champ, but it's absurd for him to fight the guy who's belt he stole?

Can't have it both ways.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:53 am

pac ill agree is a all time great fighter.as of now ill even say maybe a top 30 fighter but of course his final place will be determined when he retires.hes my favorite fighter today BUT lets be honest.the fighting of bigger guys had 1.them come down in weight like oscar or had a weight limite like margo .all the bigger guys were past there peak or inept like clottey.so im not buying the BSof ill fight pac at 150 or pac will fight him at 147..thats very selective fighting and no one can deny it..martinez is very good and yes will way 18-20 pounds heavier.thats realy fighting a bigger guy.the rest is crap.
is there a risk fighting a truly bigger guy whos very good .yep.untill pac does what the greats did in that category we should all shut up..example robinson fought lamotta not a very good fighgter but a great one.he lost and 3 weeks later fought a rematch wining.ray weighed 144 pounds jake a little over or at 160-161..ray weighed 157 pounds fight night and fought maxim a very good fighter and a hofamer .he was 173 plus..go back and read my topic of the real giant killer mickey walker who realy was a overblown welter who ate normal but drank like a fish.thats the reason he went from welter to middle.he was pacs size in height yet fought and beat heavy contenders and former heavyweight champs.and beat a lot of them dispite giving away at times or 40 or more pounds.none were washed up guys.or harry greb who beat dozens of top heavyweight contenders and lightheavy contenders and champs all not washed up and gave away 10 to 30 pounds..or henbry armstrong when he fought for the welter title there was a clause that hank had to weight at least 133 pounds more then ever.he beat a all time great for the title yet marquez bithches he fought at a uncomfortable lol weight of 144 which isd his fight weight with todays weigh inns.
they are creating a myth that pac is fighting big guys .big guys who are a shell of what they were before and of course some with going down in weight or weight conditions that favor pac also.
dempsey won the title giving up 5 inches in height and what 70 plus pounds.did dempsey say yes lets fight but its gotta be at 225 pounds.jimjmy wilde is another who weighted 105 pounds with his street clothes on.made a career of fighting bigger guys and weighing less then 100 pounds some times.
thoses fighters or most of them did not fight a few fights and against washed up fighters but did several aganist the very best and they fought some greats and all time greats in doing so..
the constent talk of this fight and its conditions sickens me.its bullshit.want to realy fight a bigger guy then do it for once and at 160 limit.not 154 not 150 not 147..if thats done that will be the only time pac fought a bigger guy with a genuine risk...in the 50s i can name countless fights in which top welters fought top middles or lighweights for welters etc etc.it was common place.thats what seperates the men from the boys and in comparrison pac is a little boy.
boxing fans and topics have come down to saying this guys moving up in weight.can he carry his power..3 fucking pounds guys.thats a joke.plus with weight inns a day n a half before the fight is that guy realy going up in class a huge 3 pounds.
sam langford gave up big weight disavantages dozens of times against top fighters many great fighters..pac has not done that once and he is my favorite fighter of today.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum