The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIGHTERS IN THE HALL THAT DONT BELONG

+2
GonzaJoey
dmar5143
6 posters

Go down

FIGHTERS IN THE HALL THAT DONT BELONG Empty FIGHTERS IN THE HALL THAT DONT BELONG

Post  dmar5143 Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 am

there is constant talk saying this guy or that guy is a first ballot hall of famer or a future hall of famer.many of the names i strongly disagree on .there is president for example for the names mentioned to be considered because the hall truly is deluted with fighters that dont belong and a few choices that are in truly are a joke.
any hall should consist of the best of the best.the elite should hold that honor only.but its not the case.how some guys actualy got in stuns me.so when you guys say so and so is a hall of famer and i say no way its because i feel a standard of excellence the best of the best should prevail..
unfortunetly it doesnt .that reason gives credibilty i feel when you guys say so and so is a future hall of famer because the presidents set by the hall includes some outright bums compared to the true greats.
i confess there are hall members in the lower weight classes of 105 to 118 or so that i know zero about since i lost interest in thoses divisions for a while.im talking fighters from 1980 or so on..so i cant comment on there merits or lack of merits.
i would much rather have a recall election like they do in politics to get guys voted out that dont belong.they truly dont..2 old timers i think are a joke for example are jimmy bradock and jack sharkey.please..ingemar johannson is a modern joke.barry mcguigan come on.ken norton was good but far from great or near great.jose torres.why.edwin rosario.eddie perkins..jimmy carter i saw fight dozens of times.nothing special.pipino cuevas a favorite of mine back then.nope.thoses are juust a few of course.there are othersbut i wont bore you with some old timers or pioners that are unworthy.
in the near future we will be reading bios on hall members and it will say a 4 time world champ when in reality he was world champ of nothing.nothing more pisses me of when i read or hear norton page tubbs burbick tucker valuez and dozens of others called the former world heavyweight champ.its a fucking joke.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

FIGHTERS IN THE HALL THAT DONT BELONG Empty Re: FIGHTERS IN THE HALL THAT DONT BELONG

Post  GonzaJoey Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 am

Ceferino Garcia ?
Lionel Rose ?
Is Terry Norris in there already? Not deserving.
GonzaJoey
GonzaJoey

Back to top Go down

FIGHTERS IN THE HALL THAT DONT BELONG Empty Re: FIGHTERS IN THE HALL THAT DONT BELONG

Post  dmar5143 Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:35 am

joey rose is not in.norris is.terry showed absolute brillence in 5 fights.mugabi curry leanord the simon brown rematch and taylor.he had a good 2 year run.that to me isnt hall worthy.good fighter.yes.great nope.zefarino garcia fought a lot of fights.some against good very good competion.a good fighter indeed.hall worthy.nope.he falls short also.good choices.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Always hard to define what criteria you put someone into the Hall based on. Barry McGuigan for example had an alright carrer but was very popular and became an important poltical force for peace in Northern Ireland. Should that count toward his inclusion?

Should more popular but less talents fighters (e.g. Gatti) be included going forward?

It is after all the hall of "Fame", not the hall of accomplishments.

But if we're talking strictly about ring achievements there are a few guys who are questionable for sure. Two other names I'd throw out are Matthew Saad Muhammed and Dwight Muhammed Qwai (not that both guys weren't good fighters, just a question of where you have to be get into the Hall).
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 pm

tobe dont confuse the name fame as a choice for a fighters merits instead of actual performance in the ring .gatti was at best a extremly popular glorified club fighter.barry can belong in a irish hall of fame or a political humantiariam hall of fame not boxing.quai maybe not.questionable at best maybe..mathhew saud boarderline.great era great wars.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 pm

I think that boxing's "HOF" has already been spoken for. It certainly does not apply the same qualifications for membership as the "Baseball" and "Football" Halls of Fame. That said, judging by todays boxers, the sport is in a very deep decline. Even the boxers some think are unworthy are far better than todays fighters.

Since the damage has already been done, I think that boxing's HOF should consider ranking people in categories. The strongest punchers here, the best boxers over there, etc. There can be a certain amount of fighters that qualify as immortals (I think we have an excellent list on this site.) but that would be a change and it's too late for any of these changes to be made. All that can be done is to build another HOF that makes sense. That's unlikely as well.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:11 pm

I always hated the whole "is he a first ballot HOF?" Either you are a HOF or you are not.

My rule of thumb is, if you have to think hard on whether or not someone is a HOF, then they are likely not.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzaJoey Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:48 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I always hated the whole "is he a first ballot HOF?" Either you are a HOF or you are not.

My rule of thumb is, if you have to think hard on whether or not someone is a HOF, then they are likely not.

Yeah, but they can only get so many pugs in per year.
GonzaJoey
GonzaJoey

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Mike Tyson?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:38 pm

What all fighters should get in out of the current guys?
PAC, flod...
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:What all fighters should get in out of the current guys?
PAC, flod...

A few modern guys who probably will get in:
- Pac
- Floyd
- Lennox
- B-Hop
- Roy Jones
- Evander
- Oscar
- Shane
- Wlad (maybe Vitali too)
- Wonjongkam
- Morales
- Marquez
- Barrerra

Who else you got? Which of these guys is most/least deserving?
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:22 pm

tobe good list..most deserving maybe the first 2 on your list.least deserving maybe shane..bowe will probably get in also..hes on the list of the usual suspects.

Last edited by dmar5143 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 pm

tobe toney is a good possible one also..by the way lennox lewis is already in and deservinly so.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Tobe wrote:
PAC, flod...

- Pac
- Floyd
- Lennox
- B-Hop
- Roy Jones
- Evander
- Oscar
- Shane
- Wonjongkam
- Morales
- Marquez
- Barrerra

Is Pea already in?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Tobe wrote:
PAC, flod...

- Pac
- Floyd
- Lennox
- B-Hop
- Roy Jones
- Evander
- Oscar
- Shane
- Wonjongkam
- Morales
- Marquez
- Barrerra

Better question how many are going to get into the immortals?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
Tobe wrote:
PAC, flod...

- Pac
- Floyd
- Lennox
- B-Hop
- Roy Jones
- Evander
- Oscar
- Shane
- Wonjongkam
- Morales
- Marquez
- Barrerra

Better question how many are going to get into the immortals?
Much better question. LOL

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 pm

none sooner.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:47 pm

dmar5143 wrote:none sooner.
I agree.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down