The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Stallone belong....

+3
Tobe
Soonermark890
flapanther2001
7 posters

Go down

Does Stallone belong.... Empty Does Stallone belong....

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:10 pm

..in the BHOF?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Does Stallone belong.... Empty Re: Does Stallone belong....

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:12 pm

I believe no one but fighters belong.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm

If broadcasters, journalists, promoters and ring announcers are included (which they are) then to me there's no reason why a guy like Sly shouldn't get in as well.

Like I said in another post, he did more for boxing with Rocky than a hell of a lot of other guys already in the HOF. And The Contender, whatever you might think of it, did at least put boxing back on the network TV radar and helped a couple of careers (Mora, Brinkley, Bika, Gomez, etc.).
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:19 pm

What's next DeNiro and Scorcese for Raging Bull?
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Stallone is being inducted in the "Observer" category of the Hall, which includes:

"Print and media journalists, publishers, writers, historians, photographers and artists."

He's an writer (he wrote Rocky) and an artist who has made a legitimate contribution to the sport, he should be in.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Kind of like Abbott & Costello in the Baseball Hall for "Who's On First?"
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:40 pm

he dont belong.neither do writers and artists.a great boxing promoter a tex richard i can see..a great ref like mercante sr yep..a nat flecher who published ring mag and boxing was his life..yeah a rare exception in that catogory..a ray arcel all time great trainer sure..is mayor jimmy walker in the hall..ill check in a few miunutes.he did more then stalone could do in ten lifetimes..he paved the road to legitimize boxing and therefore helped give birth to madison square garden as boxings mecca for decades....each year the hall cheapens itself more and more..its starting to get to the point even if your a fighter the hall means nothing.when casamayer is mentioned and lobbied by dan rafael etc etc and fighters like mosley or winky are called a lock and bums like ingo and norton were voted in well..the standards are bastardsized soo bad and it will get worse..its meaningless the past few to several years...stalone is one of the halls biggest jokes by far...yep deniro is next for he popularized jake lamatto..toss in paul newman also.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 pm

dmar5143 wrote:he dont belong.neither do writers and artists.a great boxing promoter a tex richard i can see..a great ref like mercante sr yep..a nat flecher who published ring mag and boxing was his life..yeah a rare exception in that catogory..a ray arcel all time great trainer sure..is mayor jimmy walker in the hall..ill check in a few miunutes.he did more then stalone could do in ten lifetimes..he paved the road to legitimize boxing and therefore helped give birth to madison square garden as boxings mecca for decades....each year the hall cheapens itself more and more..its starting to get to the point even if your a fighter the hall means nothing.when casamayer is mentioned and lobbied by dan rafael etc etc and fighters like mosley or winky are called a lock and bums like ingo and norton were voted in well..the standards are bastardsized soo bad and it will get worse..its meaningless the past few to several years...stalone is one of the halls biggest jokes by far...yep deniro is next for he popularized jake lamatto..toss in paul newman also.
Maybe Stacy Keach as well... geek
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:47 pm

dmar5143 wrote:he dont belong.neither do writers and artists.a great boxing promoter a tex richard i can see..a great ref like mercante sr yep..a nat flecher who published ring mag and boxing was his life..yeah a rare exception in that catogory..a ray arcel all time great trainer sure..is mayor jimmy walker in the hall..ill check in a few miunutes.he did more then stalone could do in ten lifetimes..he paved the road to legitimize boxing and therefore helped give birth to madison square garden as boxings mecca for decades....each year the hall cheapens itself more and more..its starting to get to the point even if your a fighter the hall means nothing.when casamayer is mentioned and lobbied by dan rafael etc etc and fighters like mosley or winky are called a lock and bums like ingo and norton were voted in well..the standards are bastardsized soo bad and it will get worse..its meaningless the past few to several years...stalone is one of the halls biggest jokes by far...yep deniro is next for he popularized jake lamatto..toss in paul newman also.

i agree that i don't think an actor and scriptwriter should be in the HoF for them reasons only. but i disagree that i think the commentators, the pundits, the writers, the promoters, the trainers should all get into their own version of the boxing HoF. you say boxing was Nat Fleischer's life, well it's all these guys lives too. these guys all do lots for boxing. of course you only induct the very best like you would in the fighters HoF category. Sylvester Stallone shouldn't make it though IMO

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Is the guy that wrote "Damn Yankees" in Baseball's Hall, or "Brian's Song" in the Football Hall?
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Tobe wrote:Stallone is being inducted in the "Observer" category of the Hall, which includes:

"Print and media journalists, publishers, writers, historians, photographers and artists."

He's an writer (he wrote Rocky) and an artist who has made a legitimate contribution to the sport, he should be in.
This is important info. The hall is divided into categories, and "Observer" is one of those. Stallone belongs in that. Rocky was the most popular boxer in the history of the cinema. Stallone is not inclued in the fighter category. That would be madness.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:57 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Is the guy that wrote "Damn Yankees" in Baseball's Hall, or "Brian's Song" in the Football Hall?
I think this is a valid point, however you should protest against the "Observer Category", not Stallone. If baseball had this category, then yes, "Damn Yankees" would probably be in there along with "Field of Dreams" and "Bull Durham."

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Well, unless the change the criteria I don't see how it's not appropriate to include Stallone.

They've already got cartoonists (Tad Dorgan), painters (LeRoy Neiman), promoters (Don King, Bob Arum), and a bunch of writers and journalists. Even some others who you could argue have hurt the sport more than anything (Jose Sulaiman anyone!?).

Why is the guy responsbile for one of the most iconic images of boxing in the 20th century (Rocky) not deserving of a spot in the Hall?
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Tobe wrote:Well, unless the change the criteria I don't see how it's not appropriate to include Stallone.

They've already got cartoonists (Tad Dorgan), painters (LeRoy Neiman), promoters (Don King, Bob Arum), and a bunch of writers and journalists. Even some others who you could argue have hurt the sport more than anything (Jose Sulaiman anyone!?).

Why is the guy responsbile for one of the most iconic images of boxing in the 20th century (Rocky) not deserving of a spot in the Hall?
Agreed. I also think "Observer" is a good category. It allows someone to understand the sport as a whole.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm

hey the baseball hall makes mistakes too lol..i just checked and did see mayor jimmy walker is in the hall..i didnt realize my old friend dewey fragetta is also in the hall.now to get my other old friend and fellow utican bushy graham in the hall..if bushy were around today then theres nooo bantam today would could touch him..i realy mean that....jack dempsey after reffing one of bushys fights was soo impressed he said thats the greatest fighter i ever saw..true story..dewey was from my home town also and a pioneer fight promoter..his brother nick was not a pro or amatuer fighter but in the late 20s early 30s was the toughest sob in town..

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:24 pm

I guess as long as the respective Hall's have their outside categories, there will always be inductee's in the Hall that we don't agree with. Hell, we don't even agree on real fighters that are inducted.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:26 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:I guess as long as the respective Hall's have their outside categories, there will always be inductee's in the Hall that we don't agree with. Hell, we don't even agree on real fighters that are inducted.
...lol lol great point and true..

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 pm

He belongs in the Hall. He won't even sniff the Immortals section at The Boxing Palace though. That's what really matters.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Gumby wrote:He belongs in the Hall. He won't even sniff the Immortals section at The Boxing Palace though. That's what really matters.
Hell even Floyd cant sniff that section.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:42 am

Gumby wrote:He belongs in the Hall. He won't even sniff the Immortals section at The Boxing Palace though. That's what really matters.
There ya go.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:16 am

How lucky is Sly, he gets to be inducted during the same year as Mike Tyson and Chavez.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down