The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards

+6
dmar5143
gomez1012
powerpuncher
captainanddew
Soonermark890
GrantZilla
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards Empty Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Sergio Martinez held a press conference in Argentina to announce that he's vacating the WBC Diamond title. Martinez expresed his anger over the WBC's failure to honor their promise of a mandatory fight with their full middleweight champion, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. At the recent WBC convention at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, the organization ordered Chavez to defend the title against Martinez by the end of March.

To Martinez's surprise, WBC president Jose Sulaiman contacted him, a few days later, to step aside in order to allow Chavez to fight Marco Antonio Rubio on February 4th in Texas. Martinez refused, but the WBC announced that Martinez agreed in a press release. Martinez, who announced his move to vacate the WBC's Diamond title, feels that Sulaiman owes him an apology.

"I'm not planning to defend the WBC Diamond belt anymore. The only title I'm going to defend from now on is the title I won after beating Kelly Pavlik, the Ring Magazine title. I won't ever represent the WBC ever again, until the WBC makes the fight they ordered at the WBC convention [against Chavez]. They won't honor their own agreement. I hate the coward [nature] that Chavez Jr. displays, as well as his coach Freddie Roach, and his promoter Bob Arum, for avoiding me every day. I never thought a world champion could avoid someone in this way," Martinez said.

Martinez returns against Matthew Macklin on March 17th at New York's Madison Square Garden. The fight with Macklin may not appear on HBO, as Martinez had some choice words about the treatment he received from the network and plans to jump ship to rival Showtime.

http://tinyurl.com/cw6dz7x
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards Empty Re: Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:18 pm

I like what he sad but damn that was stupid. He is burning bridges and thats not good. He needed to just leave Arum and HBO out of that statement for his own good.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards Empty Re: Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards

Post  captainanddew Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:I like what he sad but damn that was stupid. He is burning bridges and thats not good. He needed to just leave Arum and HBO out of that statement for his own good.

HBO is full of it. Fuck them.

From Fat Dan's weekly scorecard (the week after Chavez beat Zbik):

The 29-year-old German won an interim belt in 2009 and defended it three times. But HBO refused to buy Zbik as an opponent for Sergio Martinez, the real middleweight champion. Martinez reluctantly did what HBO wanted since it was paying the money and signed to fight Sergiy Dzinziruk in March. Martinez was stripped of the belt and it was handed to Zbik. HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg had deemed Zbik "terrible" and "not worthy" of fighting on HBO. Of course, a few weeks after refusing to buy Zbik against Martinez, Greenburg bought him to face Chavez in a giant flip-flop.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Captain beat me to it. But yeah, fuck HBO and the ABC orgs. All they've done is fuck MArtinez over.

It's obviouse Martinez is fuming at the Greenburg run HBO. Sure Hershman will smooth things over with Martinez by showing he's not out to fuck the guy over
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:10 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Captain beat me to it. But yeah, fuck HBO and the ABC orgs. All they've done is fuck MArtinez over.

It's obviouse Martinez is fuming at the Greenburg run HBO. Sure Hershman will smooth things over with Martinez by showing he's not out to fuck the guy over

WBC wants Chavez Jr. to have the belt. HBO wants him to have the belt.

HBO supposedly doesn't care about ratings (because they are a pay network per Fat Dan) but they care about ratings(Fat Dan is wrong).

Chavez Jr. will bring in Latinos plus in general his fights will have action.

And if Chavez Jr. can still make 160 next summer or fall, Canelo vs Chavez is a very big fight for HBO (if it can be made).

I hate the trinkets.
I have no problem with HBO showing Chavez fights because I understand the business side of things.
I have a problem with them being more than willing to be a part of manufacturing a trinket for him and in the process screwing over Martinez.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:18 pm

We have to wait and see how Hershman handles things. He is not allowed to officaly do anything at HBO until the start of next year.

Greenburg was all about manufacturing fake stars, Hershman at Showtime went by the "Best Fights/No Rights" school.

We'll see if that carries over or not

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:27 pm

i hope that martinez really doesnt ever associate with the WBC again. trinkets are worthless. martinez could have no belts and still be the real champion at middleweight.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:23 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i hope that martinez really doesnt ever associate with the WBC again. trinkets are worthless. martinez could have no belts and still be the real champion at middleweight.

Us hardcore fans know he's the REAL Champ. But casual fans don't. Not when networks and the media show guys like Bum Jr with a trinket and refer to him as a Champion.

Even got boxing fans that call trinket holders Champions. Reality is, boxing fans will call the belts shit unless a fighter they like has one, then he's a Champion. Pac fans call Pac a Champ because he got WBO belt in a catchweight fight with Cotto. BTW, was a vacant belt Cotto won.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Took him long enough. He was reminding me of Paul Williams with his nonsense calls outs of Flod and Pac, wtf
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 am

wow good for martinez.sergio seems like a super nice guy but hes been given the shaft by a worthless orginazation.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:29 am

GrantZilla wrote:Captain beat me to it. But yeah, fuck HBO and the ABC orgs. All they've done is fuck MArtinez over.

Dont get me wrong Cap and Grant I agree with him but lets be honest who gets better ratings and more money? Showtime or HBO? I just dont see a reason to burn a bridge with HBO or Arum. Arum is the guy who could make the fight happen for Sergio and HBO is the money.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:03 am

Soonermark890 wrote:Dont get me wrong Cap and Grant I agree with him but lets be honest who gets better ratings and more money? Showtime or HBO? I just dont see a reason to burn a bridge with HBO or Arum. Arum is the guy who could make the fight happen for Sergio and HBO is the money.

Arum will never match Bum Jr with Martinez. When he cashes Bum Jr out it will be against Canelo, which he's already wanting to do.

I'd say Martinez is better off at Showtime. But the thing is, both networks have undergone major changes. Hershman is now with HBO and will take over at the start of next year. Showtime got Golden Boy's lawyer taking over. So who knows what's going to happen as far as Showtime.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  jz_hova Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:21 am

grant connecting the dots all by himself

I love it
jz_hova
jz_hova

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:13 pm

Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards Applause

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Continues clap

Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards Conan
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Martinez Drops WBC Belt: Chavez, Roach Cowards Taxidriver

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:41 pm

I like how Joke Sillyman hasn't said shit in response to this. Been a bad week for Sillyman. Saying it's ok to beat women, going against his own stupid rules and not stripping Mayweather, and then this

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:45 pm

We all forget how the WBC allowed Forrest to duck Martinez for the longest. Too bad the guy couldn't duck bullets hahahaha too soon?
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:51 am

Diego408 wrote:We all forget how the WBC allowed Forrest to duck Martinez for the longest. Too bad the guy couldn't duck bullets hahahaha too soon?

Ouch!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:51 am

GrantZilla wrote:
Diego408 wrote:We all forget how the WBC allowed Forrest to duck Martinez for the longest. Too bad the guy couldn't duck bullets hahahaha too soon?

Ouch!

ooooh, still too soon.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:47 pm

It's the stupid networks that I blame. Think trinket fights give them ratings when the proof shows they do not.

Williams, Berto, Bradley, ect trinkets didn't make them draws or produce high ratings. Do people pay to see Pac because he has the WBO belt?

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  CervezaExtra Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 pm

LMFAO!! Gifs are so awesome!
CervezaExtra
CervezaExtra

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:52 am

LOU DIBELLA TO THE WBC: "I'M HOPING TO GET IT RESOLVED WITHOUT GOING TO COURT"

Martinez, however, is not the only fighter who has been screwed over by the WBC recently. #1 ranked jr. welterweight contender Ajose Olusegun has also been in line for his own title shot for quite some time now, but has yet to receive the opportunity.

It was recently announced that the scheduled championship defense for WBC jr. welterweight champion Erik Morales against Danny Garcia had been rescheduled for March 24th. At the WBC convention in December, however, the WBC board of governors voted unanimously that if Morales did not defend his championship by the end of January, he would have to face Olusgeun, vacate the title, or be stripped of the championship. Lou Dibella, who promotes both Martinez and Olusegun, is tired of WBC President Jose Sulaiman making up the rules of the organization as they go along. "I'm getting tired of going to the conventions and they never stick to their votes. I've already made the call obviously to the WBC, but they are on the holidays, so we just have to wait...We're going to go to the WBC and try to make them stick to their ruling," he explained.

Furthermore, Dibella says taking legal action against the WBC is a possibility. "I'm hoping to get it resolved without going to court, but that is a route that's possible...Do I want to sue them? Maybe. Do I want to be the guy who shells out the money to take them to court? Maybe. We'll have to see. I also have to see what Ajose wants to do as well. If they are willing to offer a substantial amount to us to step aside, then we'll see what Ajose wants to do."

http://tinyurl.com/6lzjfav
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 am

this dibella thing with a morales fight is just one example why our great sport will NEVER be mainstream again.this is why the public dont care about boxing.and as a hardcore fan i AGREE totaly with them.how much bullshit does hardcore fans have to take before we demand and our demands are backed up by ALL media writers commentators and boxing publications to have one worldwide REAL commision with sane rules legitamite ratings and less divisions and one real champ per division..baseball football hockey baskerball golf etc etc all have rules ENFORCED by one real commision.
morales was handed a phoney title to make it number 4 as a mexican by fighting a unworthy piece of shit non contender.bibella by his actions places high value on that title...second morales was defending this paper title before the end of january but the fight was postponed because morales had surgery..gallbladder surgery needs at least 6 weeks recoup time for most folks and there not fighters.
hows dibellas unknown nobody fighter ranked number 1 in a still stacked division is another reason sports fans hate boxing..go to court and you will lose.surgery is a legit reason not to fight jan 28 any judge will say so.yeah lou please go to court and blow your money...step aside money..why not.heres 100 bucks thats plenty for your fighter who deserves shit.
a talented american heavy can come on the sceen.another ray leonard etc etc that will not bring boxing back.the folks and public will just follow that fighter like they do pac now..
how much patience do hardcore fans have left.boxing sucks and will continue to suck untill theres real legitimacy established and real fighters fight.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:07 pm

What I find disturbing is how fighters can blatantly duck opponents and people will make exscuses for it.

Guys like Bum Jr should be written off as a disgrace to the sport and not even allowed on telivision
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next