The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biggest Disappointment in Modern Boxing?

+9
GrantZilla
boxinglawyer
dbudge
powerpuncher
Tobe
dmar5143
freakzilla
Soonermark890
Shaun
13 posters

Go down

Biggest Disappointment in Modern Boxing? Empty Biggest Disappointment in Modern Boxing?

Post  Shaun Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:44 am

What would you say is the biggest disappointment in boxing within the past 10 years?

I'm going with David Haye. It's no secret that the heavyweight division is lacking in both skill and entertainment value. I had high hopes that David Haye would take the torch from Wladimir (who I think is extremely overrated), and help restore the HW division to what it once was. I felt this was possible because it would get the smaller HW's a chance to compete. For example, an Arreola vs. Haye match would have been very intriguing if it were for the real HW championship.

This fight took years to make with so much hype (generated by Haye alone). Haye showed up to the fight, but didn't fight.

I still think Haye has the physical capability of defeating Wladimir (again, I do not think Wladimir is very good and has a glass jaw). Hell, Haye even hurt him a bit at the very end of the fight. The only problem is that Haye has no heart. Only Shane Mosley showed less heart (vs Pacquiao), but nobody thought Mosley had a chance... people were actually taking Haye seriously.

What a disappointment that was.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Biggest Disappointment in Modern Boxing? Empty Re: Biggest Disappointment in Modern Boxing?

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:23 am

A tie between Edwin Valero and Ike Ibeabuchi. Both guys looked as if they were special just to piss it away.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Biggest Disappointment in Modern Boxing? Empty Re: Biggest Disappointment in Modern Boxing?

Post  freakzilla Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:46 am

Michael Grant is up there.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:41 am

good topic shawn and nice points.ill agree on haye indeed .and sooners two choices are also strong choices.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:37 pm

For me it's always Kirk Johnson. Guy from my hometown with all the physical talent in world who never put it together mentally to stay in shape. Heavyweight after Lennox was wide open for a guy with Kirk's size, handspeed and movement. Got a B.S. DQ against Ruiz, then came in fat as hell and got destroyed by Vitali at MSG.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Audley Harrison.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:36 pm

i never expected anything from haye in the first place so i wasnt disappointed. i agree with sooner that valero is probably the biggest one. joan guzman is a also a pretty big disappointment because he was on his way to the top but just stopped fighting and stopped making weight.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:59 pm

powerpuncher wrote:i never expected anything from haye in the first place so i wasnt disappointed. i agree with sooner that valero is probably the biggest one. joan guzman is a also a pretty big disappointment because he was on his way to the top but just stopped fighting and stopped making weight.

joan guzman i definitely agree

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:34 pm

All good choices. I alway go with Roy Jones Jr. Great fighter that could have been one of the greatest ever. Chose the easy path and skipped the challenges that could have elevated him.

Runner up I give to James Toney. ALL the classic technical skill that a guy like Jones could only DREAM of having, and he just could not keep himself in shape. He was so skilled he just didnt believe that he had to work to beat ANYONE, so he never worked against anyone. When he was in shape, he was everything that Roy Jones COULD have been if he had real skill. In fact, if Toney had been dedicated the closest fighter I can think of today, would have been Floyd Mayweather, only with punching power and an entertaining mindset and style.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:37 pm

freakzilla wrote:Michael Grant is up there.

He's my # 1. Had all the tools but just like Fraudley, a mental midget.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:45 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
freakzilla wrote:Michael Grant is up there.

He's my # 1. Had all the tools but just like Fraudley, a mental midget.

I think Grants problem was the fact that he came to boxing ssooooo late in his career and then shot up to the top so quick. He got in over his head and when he got blown out by Lewis, he just never got his head back on correctly.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Lewis being too much at the time I can understand, but it was the Golota fight that realy showed his flaws.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:56 pm

You guys are all wrong. Its easily Antonio Margarito. Heres a guy that was a dark horse of the glam division, avoided by all early on and has an entertaining style. Has anyone been bored in any of his fights? Very unlikely. He upsets a very popular fighter in Cotto, undefeated at the time, add the fact hes Puerto Rican that made him not only a house hold name in the sport, but the most recognized fighter in his country. After that win he was all over TV living up his 15 minutes of Fame. Then getting caught with Plaster and losing to Mosley destroyed his creditability and set a dark cloud over a potentially great career. People were talking HOF for this guy before the Mosley fight and even some talk (the ESPN article matching him up with other Welter greats and predicting he'd win most lol) of him being a possible "Top 10 Welter of all time." I sometimes wonder what would have happened had he not been caught in that Mosley fight. He would of ended Mosley Career and went on greater and better things.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Good call Diego. I didn't even think of Margs. Definitly a big disapointment if you liked him as a fighter pre Plaser
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm

i was never big on margarito. i think that he accomplished more than i expected him to but then come to find out he cheated. he is all determination and not a lot of skill. he has no chance against anyone with speed. he had an alright career which is now destroyed.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:32 am

My pick would be Andrew Golota. Crazy as cat shit, but talented as all hell. Looks like the crazy part won out.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  shakefree Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:32 am

the title being what,i'll go with the fact top contenders don't fight each other regularly enough & when they do it's a PPV.however as most of you are talking whos i say golota.didn't have the mentality to go with his talent & fmj.the fact there are question marks over his place in history shows he hasn't had(for whatever reasons)the career defining fights he could & should of.with all his undoubted talent we should only be discussing where in the top 30 he should place,not if deserves to be in top 50

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:40 pm

The rise of the manufactured boxer after RJJ (Berto being my least favorite example). Soon to be replaced by Floyd v. Manny not being made.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down