The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him

5 posters

Go down

Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him  Empty Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:10 pm

IBO cruiserweight champion Antonio Tarver has flattened speculation of him taking on interim WBA title holder Denis Lebedev in the near future following reports of a potential bout in the UK against the southpaw.

The 42 year-old, who is still aiming to defend his title before the New Year, dismissed a bout with Lebedev, 32, after he dismantled an aged James Toney over twelve rounds on the back of a similar job on another faded American in Roy Jones Jr.

“His team are just really excited about the victory over a washed up James Toney and Roy Jones Jr,” Tarver explained to World Boxing News.

“I can understand their enthusiasm, but level heads will soon prevail and they'll come to their senses to realize that fighting me is a whole different ball game. “

The ‘Magic Man’ has been linked with a potential unification against WBO and WBA champions Marco Huck and Guillermo Jones as the other belt holders in the division are currently tied up in scheduled defences.

The two-weight world champion sees a bout with Lebedev as a step back at this point and knows he would be unlikely to gain any advantages from a contest with the European fighter, who fights mainly on home soil.

“Why would I be interested in fighting an ‘interim champion’ when I'll have the opportunity to fight any other champion to unify,” said Tarver.

“He has nothing on his resume, but two over-the-hill fighters and a loss to Marco Huck!

“What's really in it for me but another KO victory over some overrated European,” he added

http://tinyurl.com/87rdej8
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him  Empty Re: Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I am sure Tony will change his tune once his manager shows him the offer.

Back to top Go down

Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him  Empty Re: Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:15 pm

He should fight Huck

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:19 pm

GrantZilla wrote:He should fight Huck

He should stick to commentating.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:

Why? He's doing well. I think he could beat Huck
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:20 pm

i agree. im sure tarver is only interested in big fights now. he doesnt care about fights that arent important. i think that he should fight huck to become the legit champion at cruiser.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:36 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

As much as I like Tarver he's past it, he can walk away with his health and dignity intact right now.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:40 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

As much as I like Tarver he's past it, he can walk away with his health and dignity intact right now.

He didn't look that bad against Green. Tarver always struggles with fellow slick fighters. Stand up Euro fighters don't give him any problems.

Since he's doing well, might as well try and end his career becoming Champ at Cruiser
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Green also knocked Tarver down.

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Cluck, cluck Antonio...cluck, cluck. I'll never understand these clowns. A fight with Lebedev probably generates more money abroad than a Tarver fight with any Cruiser in the US. NOBODY knows who the Cruiser cham....excuse me, belt holders are. Tarver could bank some serious cash and if Lebedev is no challenge, then why not make the fight, whip his ass, and come home with a pocket full of cash? Tarver is clearly cherry picking when you consider that the other two belt holders are not available right now.....Tarver is a douchebag anyway.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Tarver probably thinks he won't get a fair decision Down Under

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:55 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Tarver probably thinks he won't get a fair decision Down Under

No, it's because he's scared of flying over the red sea Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:01 pm

I don't think Tarver is doing this for money. From all I've heard about Tarver, he's pretty smart with his money. Add on, he's got a future career announcing.

I think it's a combination of him not ready to hang them up, and wanting to inhance his legacy. Tarver ego is massive to say the least, and I think he wants to end his career as undisputed Cruiser Champ.

That way can boist something over his rivals Jones and Hops
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:08 pm

A) Tarver hasn't had a significant win over a prime fighter in 7 years.
B) He knew Green was a horrible paper champion which is why he traveled to Australia to fight him, easy pickins.
C) He knows he can't beat Hernandez or Huck, Lebedev or even Cunningham for that matter, so he's using the "Who is this guy?" routine to defend his actions, or lack of actions.
D) He's only got a title because the IBO is a joke, which makes Tarver a joke.

Fuck Antonio Tarver!!!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:09 pm

GrantZilla wrote:I don't think Tarver is doing this for money. From all I've heard about Tarver, he's pretty smart with his money. Add on, he's got a future career announcing.

I think it's a combination of him not ready to hang them up, and wanting to inhance his legacy. Tarver ego is massive to say the least, and I think he wants to end his career as undisputed Cruiser Champ.

That way can boist something over his rivals Jones and Hops
In order to do that he'd have to fight somebody young, tough & in their prime. Tarver will not do that now.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:12 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:In order to do that he'd have to fight somebody young, tough & in their prime. Tarver will not do that now.

We'll see. I still think he can beat Huck.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:58 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:In order to do that he'd have to fight somebody young, tough & in their prime. Tarver will not do that now.

We'll see. I still think he can beat Huck.
I doubt he'll actually fight Huck, but we'll see how it plays out.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 am

flapanther2001 wrote:A) Tarver hasn't had a significant win over a prime fighter in 7 years.
B) He knew Green was a horrible paper champion which is why he traveled to Australia to fight him, easy pickins.
C) He knows he can't beat Hernandez or Huck, Lebedev or even Cunningham for that matter, so he's using the "Who is this guy?" routine to defend his actions, or lack of actions.
D) He's only got a title because the IBO is a joke, which makes Tarver a joke.

Fuck Antonio Tarver!!!!!

+ 1 hunnit

SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Don't underestimate The Magic Man
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:06 pm

I dont know why everyone is so high on Tarver, hes not that good. This Russian would beat his ass easily.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 am

GrantZilla wrote:Don't underestimate The Magic Man
Yeah...Paulie is pretty tough....LOL
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:51 am

Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him  Magic%20man
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:18 am

GrantZilla wrote:Tarver: Lebedev Overrated, No Reason To Fight Him  Magic%20man
LOL
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 am

Diego408 wrote:I dont know why everyone is so high on Tarver, hes not that good. This Russian would beat his ass easily.
i agree with you because i never thought he was that good even in his prime but cruiserweights now arent really what you would call winners.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down