The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anybody else think that the Gatti-Ward trilogy is overrated?

+6
captainanddew
Soonermark890
dmar5143
koolkc107
Tobe
powerpuncher
10 posters

Go down

Does anybody else think that the Gatti-Ward trilogy is overrated? Empty Does anybody else think that the Gatti-Ward trilogy is overrated?

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 am

i have always thought this and want your opinion.

the first fight was GREAT! it was for sure one of the best fights ive seen that happened in my lifetime. it was close and a back and forth battle. the second fight was pretty one sided. gatti knocked down ward in an early round (im thinking the 3rd) and after that, gatti just pretty much boxed. the third fight was about the same. it was a bit closer but gatti mostly just out boxed ward. the 2nd and 3rd fights werent really wars. they were gatti outboxing ward. i guess its just because the first fight was so good that people assume the trilogy was that good.

the marquez-vasquez trilogy was way better. it is hands down better. i also think that the morales-barrera trilogy was better pretty easily.

am i alone on this or do others agree?
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Does anybody else think that the Gatti-Ward trilogy is overrated? Empty Re: Does anybody else think that the Gatti-Ward trilogy is overrated?

Post  Tobe Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 am

I agree somewhat. The first fight was epic, I could watch that 9th round everyday. Incredible. But the other two fight, especially the second, were relatively one-sided. The second fight should have been stopped IMO, Ward was hurt really badly there for a while.

Have there been better trilogies? Sure, but what makes Ward-Gatti special is both the intensity of the fights and the character and respect both guys showed throughout (and after). I think that speaks volumes to about the nature of the sport and how it can bring out the best in people.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Does anybody else think that the Gatti-Ward trilogy is overrated? Empty Re: Does anybody else think that the Gatti-Ward trilogy is overrated?

Post  koolkc107 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:51 am

I'm gonna ditto Tobe and agree somewhat...but not enough to dismiss the import of what the two men did. I do uphold the right of the OP to ask a valid question, tho.

In a day and age where you can't get two upper echelon guys to fight once at times, I have no stomach to go banging on guys who gave their all the way it should be given.

Just my opinion.
koolkc107
koolkc107

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 am

overrated.it depends.it to me was a excellent triology between 2 high end club fighters.theres a differnce between that and zale-graziano or bowe-hollifield or lamotta robinson and others that went beyound a triology.top fighters or 2 great ones fighting is at a differnt level in my thoughts over 2 top club fighters giving there all.in that reguard its overated if its mentioned as a equal to great fighters doing a triology..there effort there heart giving there all is equal perhaps but the quality involved is not.thats the only differnce..darn ill bet st nicks arena had several great trilogies between good clubb fighters that we know nothing about..any way i look at it the ward-gatti was a pleasure to watch..so were the others mentioned here.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:35 pm

NO!!! It does depend if you watched them live or are watching them later because someone suggested them. What I mean is if you were a boxing fan you were so pumped up for all three fights the excitement of the event just made it awesome. If you are just watching them today and dont know anything about the fighters then the first fight will be awesome and the other two are just so so.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I though Barerra Morales and Vazquez Marquez were better as a whole as well.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:34 pm

captainanddew wrote:I though Barerra Morales and Vazquez Marquez were better as a whole as well.

+1 I don't think the Gatti-Ward trilogy were Overrated, but they weren't as good as the ones Captain mentioned. I still think the greatest trilogy ever was Marquez vs Vasquez because even the third fight had some controversy after in the first two fights both guys won by TKO. I personally thought even with the point deduction and questionable KD on Marquez, Rafa still won convincingly, but still they were both on the same level as fighters. However there was no need for a fourth fight, Vazquez was done.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Vazquez-Marquez can no longer be called a trilogy.

I agree Gatti-Ward is overrated as a trilogy. Their 2nd fight had that one great round when Ward got.knocked down. But that was it.

Barrera-Morales & Bowe-Holyfield were far better.

Tarver-Jones trilogy was also far more entert-.......Nah I'm bullshitting.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 am

glad that im not really alone. dont get me wrong. im glad that there are fighters like that who may not be the best but give it their all in the ring, but it can only go so far. i think that a trilogy automatically gets a huge boost when the fighters are top notch. i think that was a huge disadvantage to the ward-gatti trilogy. but again, only the first fight was great. the next 2 were just pretty good.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:21 am

I agree with Sooner. I think you're looking at it from a boxing standpoint and not an experience standpoint. The Gatti-Ward trilogy goes beyond what happened in the ring. Those fights had tons of momentum. Ward and Gatti were and are more nationally known than the other trilogies mentioned. I think race and ethnicity had something to do with it because you have two white Americans putting on spectacular performances. They captured the public's imagination.

For people outside of the US it might be different, but I don't think any of the other trilogies come close.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 am

gumby the zale-graziano triology was also mentioned.as far as natioanly known the gatti -ward doesnt come close.zale -graz were household names during boxings run as a main not nitch sport.being white has nothing to do with it by the way.zale -graziano captured the publics immagination.gatti -ward captured the boxing fans immagination.big differnce.there are also 2 fight series for example involving at least one black fighter that capture the publics attention the general publics attemtion far greater then gatti-ward.armstrong-ambers basilio-robinson anybody.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Overrrated? No. Each fight gave us reason to think that either fighter could win. Gatti won 2 & 3 decisively, true, but prior to each fight, they were considered pretty even. They're both action fighters & gave us that...action. Of course, their first fight was hard to follow, so maybe 2 & 3 didn't seem as severe, but without that comparison, pretty good fights themselves.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:13 pm

dmar5143 wrote:gumby the zale-graziano triology was also mentioned.as far as natioanly known the gatti -ward doesnt come close.zale -graz were household names during boxings run as a main not nitch sport.being white has nothing to do with it by the way.zale -graziano captured the publics immagination.gatti -ward captured the boxing fans immagination.big differnce.there are also 2 fight series for example involving at least one black fighter that capture the publics attention the general publics attemtion far greater then gatti-ward.armstrong-ambers basilio-robinson anybody.
Zale vs Graziano? I am going to have to check that out.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:10 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Overrrated? No. Each fight gave us reason to think that either fighter could win. Gatti won 2 & 3 decisively, true, but prior to each fight, they were considered pretty even. They're both action fighters & gave us that...action. Of course, their first fight was hard to follow, so maybe 2 & 3 didn't seem as severe, but without that comparison, pretty good fights themselves.
i knew that gatti would just box in the 3rd fight and win a decision since thats what he did in the 2nd fight. to me, the 3rd fight was pointless in the sense that gatti was obviously going to win, but they had to make a 3rd fight in order to have a winner of the trilogy. the only reason why the first fight was close was because gatti fought an exciting, yet not smart fight.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:11 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:gumby the zale-graziano triology was also mentioned.as far as natioanly known the gatti -ward doesnt come close.zale -graz were household names during boxings run as a main not nitch sport.being white has nothing to do with it by the way.zale -graziano captured the publics immagination.gatti -ward captured the boxing fans immagination.big differnce.there are also 2 fight series for example involving at least one black fighter that capture the publics attention the general publics attemtion far greater then gatti-ward.armstrong-ambers basilio-robinson anybody.
Zale vs Graziano? I am going to have to check that out.
you definitely need to check those fights out. hands down that trilogy is better than ward-gatti although we dont have video of all the fights. i think they only have 2 of them. i could be wrong though.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 am

powerpuncher your correct the video of the fight that graziano won is missing
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:31 pm

dmar5143 wrote:powerpuncher your correct the video of the fight that graziano won is missing
Damn that sucks
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum