The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another weight topic

+6
captainanddew
dbudge
Soonermark890
dmar5143
GrantZilla
powerpuncher
10 posters

Go down

Another weight topic Empty Another weight topic

Post  powerpuncher Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:56 am

doesnt it seem like most of the fighters who go up in weight win? even in the past, a lot of people who jumped weights won quite a bit. now maybe thats because the better fighters jump weight, but could weight be a bit overrated? obviously someone 20 pounds heavier than you might be a bit much but still. look at people like greb or walker who beat up on huge guys. and now guys like pac, mayweather, or martinez are all quite a bit smaller than their opponents but still win with ease.

it just got me wondering about weight classes and how going back to the original 8 is a great idea. most people arent going to outweight their opponent by more than 10 pounds which i dont think is much of an advantage. weight classes are overrated. just like the HWs. people cant beat the klits because they arent good, not because the klits are too big because there have always been big HWs and smaller guys have usually won in the past.

agree? disagree?
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Another weight topic Empty Re: Another weight topic

Post  GrantZilla Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:04 am

The nich weight classes were created soley so the sanctioning bodies could collect more fees.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:19 am

powerpuncher some good points.again lol for the 1007 time ill advocate same day weigh inns.this puts folks in the class they realy belong and reduces by a ton the manipulation of weights.
we refer to the original 8 classes but they were not the original but for long term decades upon decades the 8 were mainstream but the lightheavy division was created out of neccesity and fairness because there was no gap between middle and heavy...today the cruzier is needed out of neccesity.im a advocate also of the 140 pound division which has been perhaps mainstream for 80 years.so 10 divisions perhaps we can get by with comfortably..this gets ride of 7 divisions...i also agree strongly that a 5-7 pound or so weight advantage is non existent..fans have been sucked into thinking gee hes fighting bigger guys or moving up.walker greb jimmy wilde marciano and several other fighters have overcome as you pointed out a much bigger 20 or so pound advantage with terrific success..
a while back i refected on manny pac but the article was about the REAL giant killer mickey walker and you wisely pointed that out.evewn the fine posters on here are sucked into believing a 5 -7 pouind weight differnce is a huge obsticle and its been reflected in manny posts when lets say a gamboa is moving up..gee can he retain his power.can he compete against bigger guys..3 fucking pounds..the guy by the way is a full fledge lighweight..
the coments in a topic on here had gamboa as a small featherwqeight.SMALL .yes it was said on here and agreeded upon in a post..featherweight is 126 pounds on FIGHT DAY.i wrote sooner in a private email saying thats unbelievable..if 138 pounds fight night is small for a feather whats a big feather 148-150 pounds or a average feather 144 pounds..gamboa weighed 138 pounds fight day.
boxing fans must stop this incorrect thinking.hes fighting a bigger guy.5 lousy pounds..can he retain his power..come on please.i can go on and on with stuff like this.incorrect thinking overaNALZATION OF NONSENCE..POWERPUNCHER GOOD TOPIC i agree.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:20 am

i think that some people can carry up the power and some cant. the ones who cant are usually the ones who shouldnt really move up anyways and just clean out the division. even de la hoya had quite a bit success against hopkins until hopkins landed a body shot but de la hoya was WAY smaller than hopkins naturally because oscar started his career at lightweight and hopkins started his at light heavyweight. in that case, yes, the power is a factor but you can still use your skills to win. unless you are purely a brawler, you can go up a few weight classes and should still be able to at least compete against the best if you are the best in your weight class.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

Well I was going to add to this topic but dmar covered it lol.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:17 pm

the problem with same day weigh ins is that fighters will start dehydrate to make weight and give themselves less than 12 hours to rehydrate that fluid back around their brain. dehydration is proven to be the main cause of brain damage related injuries within boxing. everytime a fighter dehydrates that fluid from around their brain tissue they are taking a risk when they step inside the ring. with today's media the sport what be ruined if a high profile fighter was to suffer such an injury on a mainstream tv broadcast. day before weigh ins were bought in for the safety of those individuals participating in this noble art and this cannot be compromised in my personal opinion

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 pm

fighters are cutting more weight with day before weigh ins which IMO is worse for their health.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 pm

with same day weight inns you reduce the number of fighters that dehydrate to make a weight class they dont belong in..where are all the deaths of top fighters in the past who went about 100 years with same day weight ins.
its less then 10 hours before fight time with same day weigh ins.there is no safety issue as expressed by debudge.if your a manager or trainer who continues the practice of unsafe dehydration to make weight weather it be the day of the fight or weigh ins the day before the fight then why hasnt a outcry of thoses trainers then telling fighters to stop this practice...by the way a IV is a safe proven method of rehydrating a person who is badly dehydrated..
again history has proven same day weigh ins has not caused a saftey issue as expressed by dbudge in fact as expressed by powepuncher the real health issue is dehydrating then puting on 20 plus pounds the next day.whats wrong with fighting at your true real weight.thats heathier and by far extremly fair.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 pm

My wife tuned in with me for a few minutes for the Chavez/Zbik fight. Her first question is why is a guy who weighed 160 a day ago was now weighing 180 pounds while the other guy weighed 165 (or something like that) tonight. She said that was a big disparity.

I explained that the weigh ins are 28-29 hours before the fight and guys dehydrate and don't eat the last few days and really cut weight. Then they rehydrate, etc...

She said, it still doesn't look right. One guy weighs 15 pounds more than the other now, who cares what they weighed yesterday.

She asked why they don't have guys who are roughly the same size fighting in all fights.

I gave up arguing because she has a point. Something needs to be done to keep from having the fights where you have huge disparities because of the long time between weigh ins and fight time.

I don't pretend to have an answer.

I'm not an MMA guy. Question: is there the same practices occuring there (assume there is)?
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:05 pm

No question same day weigh-ins are the way to go. Guys need to fight at a weight that is natural for them, not play the dangerous yo-yo of dehydration that allows them to fight in a weight class far below their natural size. A no-brainer for me.

Promoters wanting that day before weigh in as media event to sell the fight is the only reason I can see as to why things are done that way now.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm

captainanddew wrote:I'm not an MMA guy. Question: is there the same practices occuring there (assume there is)?
It's worse. That's where I think the new trend in boxing came from because wrestlers have always cut and rehydrated. I think we should have same day weigh ins. If a few eggs are broken while fighters realize it's in their best interest to show up healthy on fight night, so be it.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:20 am

Gumby wrote:
captainanddew wrote:I'm not an MMA guy. Question: is there the same practices occuring there (assume there is)?
It's worse. That's where I think the new trend in boxing came from because wrestlers have always cut and rehydrated. I think we should have same day weigh ins. If a few eggs are broken while fighters realize it's in their best interest to show up healthy on fight night, so be it.

Damn near half the guys are coming in 20 pounds heavier, it's in their backgrounds as wrestlers, they've been doing it since grade school. I can't imagine that's good for your long term health.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 am

i never cut much in high school wrestling but i knew tons of people who did. the difference though is that they could only cut so much because we wrestled multiple times a week. in a boxing match, they build up to it and only fight once every 6 months so they can cut a ton of weight.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:51 am

Still have the same issue with same day weigh-ins. Fighters will always try to get an edge. I think you'll get more deaths or injurries because fighters will be dehydrate which is very seriouse.

The solution is easy but in boxing nothing is easy. A required weigh-in two weeks before the fight where you have to be within 10 pounds of the designated weight.

This would eliminate fighters shedding a huge amount of weight for one weigh in. If they are within 10 bounds two weeks out it lowers the chances that they will ballon out after the second weigh in
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:49 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Still have the same issue with same day weigh-ins. Fighters will always try to get an edge. I think you'll get more deaths or injurries because fighters will be dehydrate which is very seriouse.

The solution is easy but in boxing nothing is easy. A required weigh-in two weeks before the fight where you have to be within 10 pounds of the designated weight.

This would eliminate fighters shedding a huge amount of weight for one weigh in. If they are within 10 bounds two weeks out it lowers the chances that they will ballon out after the second weigh in

You make a great point but you know how many fights would get pushed back or cancelled if they did this.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 am

I think you'd get a lot in the beginning. But what would happen is fighters pushing to make the limit would be detoured if they had to make two weigh-ins for a fight and they'd just move up to their more natural weigh class.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down