The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Immortal Topic

5 posters

Go down

Our Immortal Topic

Our Immortal Topic I_vote_lcap0%Our Immortal Topic I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Our Immortal Topic I_vote_lcap100%Our Immortal Topic I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 5

Our Immortal Topic Empty Our Immortal Topic

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:44 pm

I saw some people brought this up and I like the idea of changing it especially since I have been lagging behind on doing some clean up around here.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Our Immortal Topic Empty Re: Our Immortal Topic

Post  SlickMoney Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:28 pm

That immortal list was irrelevant without Floyd. That was just all out hate not to have him on there
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:35 pm

SlickMoney wrote:That immortal list was irrelevant without Floyd. That was just all out hate not to have him on there

I can see either way really. This list is supposed to be the elite of the elite and more based on resume than anything else. Floyd did his job at 130 and 135 as well as has a solid 147 resume. He does have a couple of quality wins at 154 both of which can have holes poked through (Oscar was done/Miguel is still more welter than junior middle). 3 lineal titles over 2 of the original 8 divisions and 5 division beltholder over 3 of the original is very solid.

I'm guessing you are comparing him to Pac but will apologize in advance if you aren't. Pac has 4 lineal titles over 5 of the original divisions as well as 8 division beltholder over 6 of the orginal divisions. Those facts are major points to Pac even with the catchweight fights people harp about. I also think the fights with the Morales, MAB, and JMM favor Pac. Floyd's lower weight opponents more resemble the quality of Sasakul and Ledwaba (good fighters but should be left out of HOF) but maybe I am too much of a Pac homer.

With all this said, I wouldn't mind Floyd being in and I think he is 2 solid or 1 good win from being in by necessity.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:57 pm

I don't feel like debating Pac vs floyd and whether either should be an immortal right this minute, but just one point:

Pac's belt against Margarito was horseshit.

Margarito was was in a war (Cotto fight-which had to take something out of margarito even in winning), and then got absolutely DESTROYED BY MOSLEY. That was an asswhooping.

Margarito sat for over a year, won a comeback fight where he looked pretty pathetic, and then somehow he is a suitable opponent for a trinket.

Even in today's age of trinkets everywhere that was a joke. I don't believe ring or any non-biased organization even considered having Margarito in the top 10 at 154.....
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:20 pm

captainanddew wrote:I don't feel like debating Pac vs floyd and whether either should be an immortal right this minute, but just one point:

Pac's belt against Margarito was horseshit.

Margarito was was in a war (Cotto fight-which had to take something out of margarito even in winning), and then got absolutely DESTROYED BY MOSLEY. That was an asswhooping.

Margarito sat for over a year, won a comeback fight where he looked pretty pathetic, and then somehow he is a suitable opponent for a trinket.

Even in today's age of trinkets everywhere that was a joke. I don't believe ring or any non-biased organization even considered having Margarito in the top 10 at 154.....

I rate it higher than most and I will give you my reasons. First, I am a Pac fan Laughing Second, Margarito took time off to heal and came back in the appropriate weight class. Yes, he might've been a little drained by the catchweight but probably not much considering he was a career welter now progressing to junior middleweight.
Third, Cotto was considered the best junior middleweight until losing to Floyd. This shows where the supposedly hot 154 division really is when an undersized, at the end of his prime Cotto is legitimately ranked very highly. You might ask what that has to do with Margarito and I will answer that Margarito would've beaten Cotto at 154 or a catchweight the night he fought Pac. Of course, that is my opinion but it is backed up by the reality of the rematch. While Cotto won the fight somewhat handily, Margarito was starting to become more successful. I think it was a good stoppage but I also think Margarito would've had a chance of knocking out Cotto had it went 12 because of the way the last couple of rounds had gone. Margarito was a year younger, had one severe beating less against him, had an uninterrupted camp, and didn't have the fight dr worried about his eye against Pac. All of this conjecture leads me to think that while Margarito didn't have the resume of a top 10 154 lb fighter, he was IMO a top 10 with a better than average chance against any 154 lber not named Sergio Martinez and Sergey Dzinziruk.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 am

theres no hate.floyd is not an immortol .period.the forum overall did a excellent job on this.pac got in because of his popularity.is he a immortol.i dont think so but hes closer then floyd.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:59 am

dmar5143 wrote:theres no hate.floyd is not an immortol .period.the forum overall did a excellent job on this.pac got in because of his popularity.is he a immortol.i dont think so but hes closer then floyd.

Floyd has 3 lineal titles. How many fighters have that that aren't considered immortal? On top of that he beat the number 1 ranked fighter at 154. So that's 4 divisions where he beat the top guy. Also beating Hatton who was the top guy at 140 only 1 division higher. He shutout Marquez who was the man at lightweight. Now that fight was at 147 but you old timers always complain about all these divisions so that fight 40 years ago would've meant something.

Floyd is an immortal. The fact that he's not even on the banner at the top of this page also shows this boards hate towards him.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:11 am

cut the nonsence.the board doesnt hate him.he beat a cotto who questionably was number 1 at 154 by beating a piece of crap with one leg..ill give you one fighter that no one voted for as a immortal that did everything that floyd could do and most of it better.fought ten times the competion that floyd fought.smarter slicker also.kid gavilin.
baldimor was a champ but far from the top guy.theres a differnce.no ones saying floyds not a great fighter.lets examine if we would rank floyd as one of the top ten welters ever.nope.top ten lkightweight.please.since hes at 154 which realy is middle top ten middle ever.nope.top ten feather.hes no immortal.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:40 am

whether or not he is an immortal isnt the question. the real question is if pac is an immortal, then mayweather is an immortal. i very strongly believe that mayweather is the better fighter. i think that pac may have a bit better resume overall but he also has struggled a lot more in matches. other than the first castillo fight, mayweather hasnt struggled with much of anyone. de la hoya was probably the next guy he struggled with the most but still won convincingly and de la hoya was the bigger man and a great fighter. IMO mayweathers win over de la hoya is way more impressive than any win that pac has had over a bigger fighter.

but i do agree with slick to the point that today fighters do get mortalized almost by default. if mayweather would have fought in the 50's or so, would he have lost some? yes. but i can pretty much guarantee that he would have still won a title and maybe even won it in 2 weight classes. he is a very hard worker and very skilled. i wouldnt say that there are dozens of fighters in the past with floyds skill. some, but not many.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down