The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Topic: Junior Seau dead...

+5
captainanddew
Frank
hardcorebee24
dmar5143
flapanther2001
9 posters

Go down

Off Topic: Junior Seau dead... Empty Off Topic: Junior Seau dead...

Post  flapanther2001 Wed May 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Cops are investigating, possible suicide...no mention of Tila Tequila's whereabouts
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Off Topic: Junior Seau dead... Empty Re: Off Topic: Junior Seau dead...

Post  dmar5143 Wed May 02, 2012 3:03 pm

i read that a few minutes ago on msn homepage.little details but it now says suicide..awfull news.young at 43.why is a big question.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed May 02, 2012 3:06 pm

dmar5143 wrote:i read that a few minutes ago on msn homepage.little details but it now says suicide..awfull news.young at 43.why is a big question.

Brain damage, particularly frontal lobe damage. They're numbers are worse than boxers. I have no proof of this, just my assumption.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed May 02, 2012 3:43 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:i read that a few minutes ago on msn homepage.little details but it now says suicide..awfull news.young at 43.why is a big question.

Brain damage, particularly frontal lobe damage. They're numbers are worse than boxers. I have no proof of this, just my assumption.
That's a damn good assumption, Hardcore. A number of Doctors I know have made the frontal lobe argument in relation to boxers and ball players. Unfortunately, that's where our moral obligation to society is. When the frontal lobe is damaged, impulsive and criminal behavior is quite common.

In any case, this is horrible news. Just horrible.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed May 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Frank wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

That's a damn good assumption, Hardcore. A number of Doctors I know have made the frontal lobe argument in relation to boxers and ball players. Unfortunately, that's where our moral obligation to society is. When the frontal lobe is damaged, impulsive and criminal behavior is quite common.

In any case, this is horrible news. Just horrible.

first two things I asked myself after I saw the news on my phone an hour ago, "How many concussions has he had. How many non-concussive blows to the head has a LB such as him taken. "????????????

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed May 02, 2012 8:59 pm

The most telling part of the story is that he shot himself in the chest. Dave Duerson did the same thing because he wanted his brain to be studied. No doubt Seau wanted the same thing, and his brain will be studied.

The giant elephant in the room that the NFL has tried to ignore no longer can be. It's going to get worse for the NFL and football in general. The game as we know it is going to change. It will have too or it will face the same stigma that boxing does. Parents not wanting their kids to play it. They're already talking about getting rid of the kickoff and having it start automatically on the 20 yard line.

I see a rise in soccer in the US as more parents choose to put their kids in soccer than Pop Warner.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:Cops are investigating, possible suicide...no mention of Tila Tequila's whereabouts

Last I heard, Tila tried to kill herself about a month ago, and apparently had an anyuerism (sp?) before that, that has screwed up her speech.

I imagine that brain damage played some role in this, it's the NFl's dark secret.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu May 03, 2012 9:38 am

GrantZilla wrote:The most telling part of the story is that he shot himself in the chest. Dave Duerson did the same thing because he wanted his brain to be studied. No doubt Seau wanted the same thing, and his brain will be studied.

The giant elephant in the room that the NFL has tried to ignore no longer can be. It's going to get worse for the NFL and football in general. The game as we know it is going to change. It will have too or it will face the same stigma that boxing does. Parents not wanting their kids to play it. They're already talking about getting rid of the kickoff and having it start automatically on the 20 yard line.

I see a rise in soccer in the US as more parents choose to put their kids in soccer than Pop Warner.

Grant, if this country (USA) was motivated by morality, you'd be exactly right. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Money is the God of the U.S. and the only God where the majority of Americans are concerned. This recent tragedy will be mourned and then forgotten.

Following this, maybe CNN and HBO may come up with some mini documentaries on why football should amend some of it's rules, however the major stations which depend on the NFL for significant revenue will only barley touch upon this issue, then excite the fans with the next big game. The unfortunate fact is, we'll tune in to see it. Yeah, we're guilty too. We grew up on this game and we're not about to watch it change.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Its sad seeing these NFL players go out like this. I know theres players pressing law suits on the NFL because of player safety in the past with head injuries and concussions, but I think its complete BS as the NFL employs them and pays them millions of dollars. Seriously, head trauma comes with the job. You dont see boxers suing commisions for their health issues or even US troops suing the government for injuries while on duty. Every job has its negatives. Nothing is perfect.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Diego408 wrote:Its sad seeing these NFL players go out like this. I know theres players pressing law suits on the NFL because of player safety in the past with head injuries and concussions, but I think its complete BS as the NFL employs them and pays them millions of dollars. Seriously, head trauma comes with the job. You dont see boxers suing commisions for their health issues or even US troops suing the government for injuries while on duty. Every job has its negatives. Nothing is perfect.
That was my thinking was well. I think it's a major tragedy that these men have to suffer like this, however I don't know of any rules prohibiting NFL players from getting their own doctors. If they did this, they would have run into more than a few physicians that would've pointed out the dangers of suffering repeated concussions. The money, the women and the glory make them look the other way in reference to the dangers of the game. Afterwards, when the glory is gone, they want to say they were not aware of the dangers. I wish they didn't have to suffer like this, however their lawsuits will not be successful.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu May 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Frank wrote:Grant, if this country (USA) was motivated by morality, you'd be exactly right. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Money is the God of the U.S. and the only God where the majority of Americans are concerned. This recent tragedy will be mourned and then forgotten.

Following this, maybe CNN and HBO may come up with some mini documentaries on why football should amend some of it's rules, however the major stations which depend on the NFL for significant revenue will only barley touch upon this issue, then excite the fans with the next big game. The unfortunate fact is, we'll tune in to see it. Yeah, we're guilty too. We grew up on this game and we're not about to watch it change.

I agree with you too a point. The NFL is already getting sued by former players for covering up the long term health risks that come with repeat concussions. The flood gates are open. The more comes out, the less parents are going to be willing to let their kids play football.

This is what happened with boxing. Boxing was as huge as NFL is today. It was a chance for poor kids to make money. But soon parents didn't want their kids ending up like Muhammad Ali. It got a nasty stigma.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri May 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Suicide is among the hardest things in the world for a family to deal with so I don't want to understate that this is tragic and broke my heart to hear. I think there were more factors than head trauma from football. Instead of changing the game, the NFL needs to help players when they retire: give them therapy and give them trustworthy financial accountants.

Junior's life shouldn't be used as a chip to argue that football is violent and has to be changed. I wonder what Junior would've wanted. That guy loved football.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum