The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez: FMJ is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second

5 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez: FMJ is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second Empty Sergio Martinez: FMJ is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second

Post  freakzilla Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:36 am

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=44362#ixzz1ZNOVe5d4

WBC Diamond middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KOs) is ready and eager to defend his title against undefeated Darren Barker (23-0, 14 KOs) this Saturday at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Martinez sat down with BoxingScene.com/NotiFight.com to discuss a variety of topics.

How was your training for this fight?

The preparation was very good. Eight weeks of the best training. This is the most intense and hardest preparation of my entire career. We worked on everything as planned. We worked on power, on speed, movements ... Everything went perfect for getting in there in best way, both the weight and our physical condition and boxing.

What is your take on this fight?

I will go in there and box. I'll feel him out in the first round and create the distance. And then I'll get busier as I get more comfortable, and then attack with speed and power. I hope to knock him out in the first six or seven rounds. I will continue attacking until I overwhelm him.

What do you think about Barker?

He's a complicated defensive boxer. He's slippery and moves well. I will remain calm and respect the game plan and the work we've done in the gym. He has a good right hand, and he throws a good a left uppercut and a hook to the liver.

Do you think that you'll get the fight with Chavez?

He doesn't want to fight me. He's scared of me. It's that simple. As much as I try and demand the fight, the World Boxing Council does not force the issue, so unfortunately I have to forget about that fight and focus on other fights. I wanted to regain the belt, that I never lost in the ring, but I won't get the chance. And this is something that really hurts.

The other champions do not want to fight me. So I'm think about going to another division. My body is more likely to drop to 154-pounds than go up to 168.

Who would you face at 154?

Cotto is afraid to face me. I already said I want that fight. Margarito is possible. I think it's a fight that could be interesting for both the fans and for us. If Margarito beats Cotto and shows improvement, he would be a good choice. I know he would want to fight me, unlike Cotto. It could be a good fight and it's a rematch for me.

Beyond this, the two great battles I hope to get are against Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. It could be at 151 or 150-pounds. It would just be a matter of discussing it. Mayweather is still my biggest challenge. He is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second. And he would accept a challenge from me. He would do it. Obviously, so would I. It would be a great fight for both, and for everyone in boxing.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez: FMJ is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second Empty Re: Sergio Martinez: FMJ is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second

Post  shakefree Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:56 pm

self recommendation is no praise,but i won't disagree with his ranking of floyd,though for me he needs to be more active.no questioning his ability,just his desire & that's part of being the best.

shakefree

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez: FMJ is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second Empty Re: Sergio Martinez: FMJ is currently the best pound for pound fighter and I am the second

Post  Diego408 Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:58 pm

Its a true statement, Floyd and MArtinez would give each other a very tough challenge. I think both guys would easily beat Pacquaio.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Martinez is a chump for putting his trust in the WBC even when they continue to fuck him over.

He also needs to shut the fuck up about fighting Pac and Mayweather. It will never happen.

He needs to focus on the fights he might have a shot at getting. Put in a good performance against Barker and call out the winner of Cotto-Marg fight. Then get your ass back in the ring as soon as possible, put on another good performance, and keep calling it out.

Eventually their will be more buzz and demand for Cotto or Marg to fight him. If not, go fight Bute

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:38 pm

The biggest problem right now is Arum in my opinion. He wants to keep all of the money in house good for his business bad for boxing overall. If you think about it he is the main one holding up the FMJ vs. Pacquiao fight. I bet if FMJ would have signed with top rank again they probably would have fought twice by now.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:27 am

Suavecito80 wrote:The biggest problem right now is Arum in my opinion. He wants to keep all of the money in house good for his business bad for boxing overall. If you think about it he is the main one holding up the FMJ vs. Pacquiao fight. I bet if FMJ would have signed with top rank again they probably would have fought twice by now.

That's bull. The hold-up is Mayweather and even Pac.

Say what you want about Arum, but he's built up stars. No promoter that is any good at his job is going to match his cash cows against some other promoter's fighter that brings jack to the table.

As long as Bum Jr is selling out Staple fighting nobodies and Martinez is fighting in a half empty venue in Jersey, the fight won't happen.

That's Dibella and maybe even Martinez's fault. Dibella basicaly saying Martinez is too good for Showtime, and making Martinez a prisoner to HBO. Only being allowed to fight who HBO wants, and sitting out half the year because they have no money. He should have had 3-4 fights this year and building up his name in order to get the big money fights.

Last edited by GrantZilla on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:55 am

As much as I like Martinez he's not a superior fighter to Pacquiao.

Back to top Go down

Post  Suavecito80 Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:56 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Suavecito80 wrote:The biggest problem right now is Arum in my opinion. He wants to keep all of the money in house good for his business bad for boxing overall. If you think about it he is the main one holding up the FMJ vs. Pacquiao fight. I bet if FMJ would have signed with top rank again they probably would have fought twice by now.

That's bull. The hold-up is Mayweather and even Pac.

Say what you want about Arum, but he's built up stars. No promoter that is any good at his job is going to match his cash cows against some other promoter's fighter that brings jack to the table.

As long as Bum Jr is selling out Staple fighting nobodies and Martinez is fighting in a half empty venue in Jersey, the fight won't happen.

That's Dibella and maybe even Martinez's fault. Dibella basicaly saying Martinez is too good for Showtime, and making Martinez a prisoner to HBO. Only being allowed to fight who HBO wants, and sitting out half the year because they have no money. He should have had 3-4 fights this year and building up his name in order to get the big money fights.

When did I say he did not build up his fighters? He is part of the problem as well whether you think so or not. He doesn't want May to make the money but if he signed with him they would have fought already I can almost guarantee it. Look at JMM he had to leave Golden boy to even get a chance to fight Pacquiao. Sign with Top rank fight with pacquiao if not you wont get the fight.
Suavecito80
Suavecito80

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down