The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergio Martinez given no out by HBO

5 posters

Go down

Sergio Martinez given no out by HBO Empty Sergio Martinez given no out by HBO

Post  freakzilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:36 am

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez given no out by HBO Empty Re: Sergio Martinez given no out by HBO

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 am

Seriously, fuck HBO. Martinez should fight his manditory and see if ESPN is interested in showing it.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Sergio Martinez given no out by HBO Empty Re: Sergio Martinez given no out by HBO

Post  freakzilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:34 am

I agree.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:37 am

What a huge clusterfuck by HBO, Martinez is being treated like garbage and they also screwed over Cotto, if this doesn't convince the network to replace Ross Greenburg then I fear for boxings future.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:54 am

If I was given out 2.4 Million for a fight, I would be wanting to see the best possible match up. Sergei vs Sergio is one of the best possible fights to make. This is too much money for both sides to turn down, this fight will happen. HBO is finally putting their foot down. How the fuck wanted to see Cotto vs Vanes or Mayorga???? I actually like HBO stance. They shouldnt be putting up with BS and make these promoters work.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 am

I really wanted to see Vanes vs Cotto, I feel it's a great test for both men.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:10 am

Ali wrote:I really wanted to see Vanes vs Cotto, I feel it's a great test for both men.
I knew it wasnt going to happen, the fight is too dangerous for Cotto to Top Ranks liking. I fucking hate bob Arum and hope he dies soon. Well I was a bit right, Sergio vs Sergei is close to be made. HBO putting their foot down is making these promoters work for once in their lazy lives. No more of that BS when they get their fighter to fight a less threatening guy because the better opponent didnt want a BS deal they were first offered. Make the best available match ups if you want to get paid!

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34399

Last edited by Diego408 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:11 am

I see your point about HBO putting their foot down but they could've choosen a more tactful approach.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:14 am

Ali wrote:I see your point about HBO putting their foot down but they could've choosen a more tactful approach.
HBO has been letting these promoters fuck them over and over again for the past few years. Its HBOs money, they should get what they demand. Ross Greenberg has to stop playing bitch to guys like DLH and Arum.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 am

Diego408 wrote:
Ali wrote:I see your point about HBO putting their foot down but they could've choosen a more tactful approach.
HBO has been letting these promoters fuck them over and over again for the past few years. Its HBOs money, they should get what they demand. Ross Greenberg has to stop playing bitch to guys like DLH and Arum.

I agree with the last line.

They better start taking this stance with Andre Berto.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:26 am

I totaly disagree. Sergei D is a nobody in the US. He's not a Middleweight, and he's not even a top five ranked Jr Middlweight.

HBO once again over-paying for shit. The fight is not best match-up for Martinez, nor will it produce good ratings for HBO.

IF HBO had brains, they'd demand Sergei D on the undercard against a top middlweight, like say Piroq, and have Martinez fight his manditory Zbik. Zbik is as unknown as Sergei D is. Difference is, Zbik is a top ranked middlweight.

Then you have winner fight Martinez, and got some hype and excitment around it.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:29 am

If I am HBO I get Sergei D on the undercard vs Paul Williams.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:32 am

Ali wrote:If I am HBO I get Sergei D on the undercard vs Paul Williams.

That works too. Whatever. Just have him actualy fight a top middleweight on undercard to get some exposure and prove he has any business in the division, let alone taking on The Champ.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:35 am

GrantZilla wrote:I totaly disagree. Sergei D is a nobody in the US. He's not a Middleweight, and he's not even a top five ranked Jr Middlweight.

HBO once again over-paying for shit. The fight is not best match-up for Martinez, nor will it produce good ratings for HBO.

IF HBO had brains, they'd demand Sergei D on the undercard against a top middlweight, like say Piroq, and have Martinez fight his manditory Zbik. Zbik is as unknown as Sergei D is. Difference is, Zbik is a top ranked middlweight.

Then you have winner fight Martinez, and got some hype and excitment around it.
You now Mr. Sergei was the top rated jr. middleweight by Ring magazine at one point, I have no idea why they dropped him out of the rankings and put him back. Ive seen Sergei and hes been very dominant everytime Ive watched him. Zbik is garbage dude, 3 of his fights in the past year were robberies from what ive read. Zbik is a bum, he doesnt deserve a shot at nothing. Fuck the WBC if they dont like it, Sergio is the Ring Champ, thats all that matters.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:41 am

You're missing the point man.

This why HBO sucks and why Showtime is superior. They are blowing 2 million on a fight that will produce terrible ratings and has zero excitment or build up for it.

Sergei D may be a good fighter, but he's a fucking nobody in the US.

So take that two mill, and use it for a double-header. Sergei D against a top ranked middleweight, like as Ali suggested, Williams or whoever. And have Martinez defend his title against Zbik. If he is a total bum, you'll have Martinez with another great KO over top ten ranked middleweight. Add on a good scrap as undercard.

Then take part that 2 million and advertise the fuck out of the fight so people actualy know when it's on.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 pm

+1 Grant

HBO is being the match maker here!!! That's the issue

Like Grant said, overpaying for shit. They shouldnt be choosing the names, they should just say, we'll buy it or we wont

For 2.4 million they probably could of made Vanes vs Cotto and Martinez vs Andy Lee!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:18 pm

I agree with Grant and everyone else on here. Nothing left to add except that HBO is a 2nd rate boxing show with 1st rate money. Average minds with above average money are not a good match. Greenburg knows nothing of boxing. Not really. Also, I think HBO has failed in every department, from matchmaking to picking announcers to producing horrible undercards.

I'm looking at this from a business stand point. Sergio Martinez has the potential to be a huge star. He has the looks, talent and fearless attitude to take on anyone in the MW division. He is a potential gold mine in a sport that is desperate for stars. This is a horrible business decision by HBO and again, I must question their intelligence. I understand that, in this world, it's who you know, not what you know, that makes a marked difference in opportunities. However, Ross Greenburg has shown no talent in any capacity. What is sad is getting even more pathetic at HBO.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm

How does Greenberg explain to the HBO suits that Showtime spent less then 2 million on all three Marquez-Vasquiez fights, and he's spending that kind of money on Martinez vs a total nobody?

That UFC spends little over million on their entire PPV roster, and he's blowing 2 million on Berto who can't even draw a crowd or bring in good ratings.

This is some most moronic business decisions I've seen. No wonder talks of HBO cutting their budget for boxing linger, or even getting rid of HBO Boxing.

As said, take that two million and do a double header. Martinez vs his manditory. Get Sergie against a top middle, Williams or Piroq, and and have winners fight each other afterwords.

Then take some that money and actualy advertise the fight. Have it in a big city like LA, and get a buildboard on one most populated freeways. That's problem with HBO boxing, they do jack shit to advertise their non PPV fights.

This is common sense shit on how to build fights up.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down