The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight

+2
hillsicc303
Diego408
6 posters

Go down

Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight Empty Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight

Post  Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Team Martirosyan would like to offer an explanation as to why an offer to face Alfredo Angulo was rejected. While it is always an honor to fight on HBO and to face a great fighter such as Angulo, the circumstances have to be right.

Serge Martirosyan, who is both Vanes' uncle and manager stated, "Both Angulo and Vanes are warriors. In my opinion they would both beat all of the belt holders at 154 pounds. Why should they fight each other now without a belt involved? They can fight later in a unification fight for a lot more money."

The elder Martirosyan understands the position of the fans and sees why they would want to see such an intriguing match up. He feels that Angulo and Vanes should both get shots at some of the other champions out there and then face each other in a fight that would really mean something. Serge went on to say that he would like to see the champions of the division step up and face the top contenders instead of fighters from other weight divisions.

"I think it would be a really good fight and I can see why the fans want to see it but these guys work their asses off their whole life to get to this point," explained Martirosyan. "Angulo and Vanes both deserve to get compensated accordingly for this fight. These other champs at 154 are fighting welterweights. They should be fighting top 10 ranked junior middleweights and not welterweights. They should fight Angulo and Vanes."

Vanes' manager explained the situation further by offering a timeline of events, "First we were the number one contender for the WBC belt when they let (Saul) Alvarez fight a welterweight (Mathew Hatton) for the belt. To appease Vanes, they let him fight for the Silver belt. Vanes won the belt so he was again set to fight Alvarez. Then they ordered Vanes to fight Angulo in another eliminator. We said okay again and then they said that it would have to be in Mexico. We would have agreed but to top it off, they offered just a little more money to Vanes than what he got when he fought Joe Greene in New York so we had to say no."

The Glendale, CA based fighter's uncle believes that the proposed Martirosyan-Angulo eliminator was a set up from the beginning. He feels that it is just a way for Golden Boy to protect Alvarez from the top contenders in the division and that they were fully aware that Martirosyan would not be able to accept the terms of the fight.

"I think Golden Boy did well to protect their champion. They knew we were going to turn down the Angulo fight under these conditions beforehand," he said.

Martirosyan will be back in the ring soon. Another announcement will follow shortly.

No

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-vanes-explain-situation-with-angulo-fight--43623

Back to top Go down

Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight Empty Re: Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight

Post  Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:41 pm

“If he worked hard in the gym, he could’ve won. Were they the best conditions, as far as going to Mexico? No. He wanted it in the U.S. But we had agreed to U.S. judges, and we hadn’t even started negotiations for money. I felt like we’d get a fair deal from Top Rank in terms of money. He just didn’t want the fight. There’s nothing I could’ve done about that. You have to fight the guys that the people want to see you fight.”

From Vanes now ex manager.

Back to top Go down

Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight Empty Re: Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight

Post  Diego408 Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Ali wrote:
“If he worked hard in the gym, he could’ve won. Were they the best conditions, as far as going to Mexico? No. He wanted it in the U.S. But we had agreed to U.S. judges, and we hadn’t even started negotiations for money. I felt like we’d get a fair deal from Top Rank in terms of money. He just didn’t want the fight. There’s nothing I could’ve done about that. You have to fight the guys that the people want to see you fight.”

Its the reason they split. Vanes is a pussy.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Its the reason they split. Vanes is a pussy.

Yup, didn't see eye to eye on the issue.

Back to top Go down

Post  hillsicc303 Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Boy... I sure miss the days when most guys just fought each other when the opportunity presented itself. Not when the "circumstances had to be right"(sigh)....

hillsicc303

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:21 pm

hillsicc303 wrote:Boy... I sure miss the days when most guys just fought each other when the opportunity presented itself. Not when the "circumstances had to be right"(sigh)....
Right!?, Boxing has become a pussyfied sport. Still we have a few good guys out there that will face anyone (see Adamek)

Last edited by Diego408 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 am

Diego408 wrote:
hillsicc303 wrote:Boy... I sure miss the days when most guys just fought each other when the opportunity presented itself. Not when the "circumstances had to be right"(sigh)....
Right!?, Boxing has become a pussyfied. Still we have a few good guys out there that will face anyone (see Adamek)

Adamek isn't a saint, his HW run has been full of washed up has-beens and cans.

Glen Johnson is a true fearless warrior.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Ali wrote:
Diego408 wrote:
Right!?, Boxing has become a pussyfied. Still we have a few good guys out there that will face anyone (see Adamek)

adamek went to HW to fight the klits so i dont mind who he faced at HW. just like when most people move up weight classes, they take an easier fight at first. adamek was just extra small so he had to build up to fighting such a big opponent.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Ali wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

Adamek isnt even a HW.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Diego408 wrote:

+1

Well at least because of this we're likely to see Kirkland vs Angulo
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Ali wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

add lamont peterson the guy's young and he has already fought bradley,ortiz,cayo and now kahn. hank lundy has also stepped in on late notice to save friday night fights cards this dude will fight anybody.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:40 am

Why should they fight each other now without a belt involved?

Vanes Martirosyan's reasons for turning down the Angulo fight The_stupid_it_burns-263x300
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down