The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Series of Boxing....What you think?

2 posters

Go down

World Series of Boxing....What you think? Empty World Series of Boxing....What you think?

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:28 am

The Los Angeles Matadors of the newly formed World Series of Boxing will make their home debut Sunday, Nov. 28 at L.A. Live's Nokia Theatre against Mexico City.
The Matadors will make their season debut on the road, Tuesday, Nov. 23 against Miami

The World Series of Boxing, created by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) under the leadership of its President, Dr. C.K. Wu, is a tournament designed to reshape the world of international boxing at both the Olympic-style and professional levels.

What makes the league unique is the fact that amateur boxers will be paid to compete while retaining their Olympic eligibility.

There are 12 teams, separated into three regions: Americas, Asia and Europe. Miami, Memphis, Los Angeles and Mexico City are grouped in the Americas. The regular season begins Friday.

During the regular season, each team will play each of the other teams four times (twice home and twice away). The top team from each conference, plus the best second-place team worldwide, will then enter the playoffs during April 2011. The team and individual championships will take place in May 2011 in Macau, China.

The Matadors are led by two-time Olympian Rau'Shee Warren. They are coached by Manny Robles, Robert Luna and Jose Navarro.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/boxing-276512-world-series.html
World Series of Boxing....What you think? Lc22qu-lc22qhmatadores

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

World Series of Boxing....What you think? Empty Re: World Series of Boxing....What you think?

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:34 am

That is funny. Didn't Chuck Norris try that with the Worldcombat league ?? lol

Back to top Go down

World Series of Boxing....What you think? Empty Re: World Series of Boxing....What you think?

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:06 am

ANYTHING that gets more poeple boxing more often is a good thing.

I'd love to know what kind of rules and scoring there will be. The more we can accustom amateurs to pro rules and scoring the better.

If it were local? I'd go.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:09 am

This little different. It's backed by the Olympics and US amatauer boxing.

Basicaly trail run. It's going to be just like pro boxing, but only five rounds. No headgear, and will be scored just like a pro fight.

If it's successful, it could possibly be formated into the Olympics

Fact is, AM boxing is broken and dead. It is # 1 reason why there has been a major lack of talent in boxing. Because AM is not boxing. Shouldn't even be called boxing. It's slap, run, and hope to get a decision. All it is
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:19 am

GrantZilla wrote:This little different. It's backed by the Olympics and US amatauer boxing.

Basicaly trail run. It's going to be just like pro boxing, but only five rounds. No headgear, and will be scored just like a pro fight.
If it's successful, it could possibly be formated into the Olympics

Fact is, AM boxing is broken and dead. It is # 1 reason why there has been a major lack of talent in boxing. Because AM is not boxing. Shouldn't even be called boxing. It's slap, run, and hope to get a decision. All it is

A GREAT idea in that case! Maybe if it works it can be the beginning of a reversal in how amateur boxing is handled.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:27 am

Yeah. From what I read, Olympic Boxing will be over-seeing this, and if it's successful, it will incorpate the format into Olympic Boxing.

It still will be AM boxing. Meaning, if opponents are over-matched or about to get hurt, the ref will stop the fight or do a standing eight count.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:30 am

GrantZilla wrote:Yeah. From what I read, Olympic Boxing will be over-seeing this, and if it's successful, it will incorpate the format into Olympic Boxing.

It still will be AM boxing. Meaning, if opponents are over-matched or about to get hurt, the ref will stop the fight or do a standing eight count.

And that is as it should be. Heck I'm even ok with headgear if that's the choice. It is the approach to scoring that must change. Not all clean punches are equal and bodyshots must count. I'd rather take my chances with traditional three judge scoring (for all it's flaws and vulnerabilities) rather than rely on the hand eye coordination of older men clicking computers.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:33 am

Headgear is useless and makes the fighters unnoticable.

They've actualy dones studies and headgear is actualy worse. We all know that the true damage comes from multiple hits to the head. Well, headgear doesn't blunt all the impact. So taking less harsh blows, but more of them.

And to make it worse, because of how BS scoring was, with bodyshots not even being counted, all the hits are made to the head. So you do 100 AM fights like that were ust taking head shots, and no wonder so man AM fighters they're finding out are as punch drunk as pros
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:37 am

GrantZilla wrote:Headgear is useless and makes the fighters unnoticable.
They've actualy dones studies and headgear is actualy worse. We all know that the true damage comes from multiple hits to the head. Well, headgear doesn't blunt all the impact. So taking less harsh blows, but more of them.

And to make it worse, because of how BS scoring was, with bodyshots not even being counted, all the hits are made to the head. So you do 100 AM fights like that were ust taking head shots, and no wonder so man AM fighters they're finding out are as punch drunk as pros

I actually agree with that. Thats the reason old timers often sparred without headgear. Getting hit in the head AT ALL was unacceptable and they wanted to notice every single time.

But if the tradeoff I have to make is headgear for pro scoring? I'm still in.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:48 am

The state of AM and hearing gyms in poor cities being closed down is what has worried me the most about the sport.

Boxing realy needs this to succeed. It needs young fighters learning how to fight like pros before they get into the pros
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:32 am

GrantZilla wrote:The state of AM and hearing gyms in poor cities being closed down is what has worried me the most about the sport.

Boxing realy needs this to succeed. It needs young fighters learning how to fight like pros before they get into the pros

+1 If ten years from now I am looking back on today and I'm thinking how much better it was I'm going to either A) shoot myself or B) Personally kidnap the Cuban coaching team and move them to Detroit.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 pm

I like the concept

I read that the channel spanish channel VME will show the series

http://www.vmetv.com/

I will def watch this over the mismatches on Fight Night Club
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Here are the channels on some cable providers

Canal/Channel 9414 de DISH Network
Canal/Channel 846 de DISH Latino
Canal/Channel 440 de DirecTV

AT&T U-verse - 3015

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down