The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters?

5 posters

Go down

Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters? Empty Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters?

Post  SlickMoney Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:43 am

0:19 of the video

Last edited by SlickMoney on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cuz i can fool!)
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters? Empty Re: Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters?

Post  SlickMoney Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:44 am

And yes i know he didnt get KO'ed by that.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters? Empty Re: Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters?

Post  GrantZilla Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:54 am

My best guess is, they're not use to getting punched in the face. Aren't most MMA fighters wrestlers?

In boxing, it's all about being able to take a punch. Very hard to have a career in boxing with a horrible chin where a simple jab will put you on your ass.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:54 am

I dont see a pic?
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Smaller gloves, poor defense.

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:58 am

The gif was deleted i guess. It was from the Silva-Okami fight this past Saturday. Silva landed a jab and Okami hit the deck.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:11 am

I thought Okami kind of took a fall, trying to goade Silva into going to the ground with him, similar to what Werdum tried to do against Overeem. Not that it would have mattered, as I believe Silva's BJJ would have overcome Okami's wrestling, especially if Silva was in the top position.

I do think one of the reasons that leads to so many KO's in MMA, is the lack of boxing skill. The looping punches, combined with fighters keeping their hands low (to prevent takedowns), leads to many KO's. If you can stay on your feet, a good counter-puncher would do very well in MMA.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 am

SlickMoney wrote:The gif was deleted i guess. It was from the Silva-Okami fight this past Saturday. Silva landed a jab and Okami hit the deck.

Silva's just that good.

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:24 am

Ali wrote:Smaller gloves, poor defense.
I think many of you boxing fans view the defense as poor because you do not understand it. You just try to use boxing defense and see if your lead leg still works after the fight. That is if you aren't dropped on your head and smashed into the mat. Sure the head movement for most fighters could be better but because of the size of the gloves you can't just put your hands up and block punches. You need to view this as a different sport entirely and understand the constant risk and how that effects your defense.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 pm

NJBeatdown86 wrote:I thought Okami kind of took a fall, trying to goade Silva into going to the ground with him, similar to what Werdum tried to do against Overeem. Not that it would have mattered, as I believe Silva's BJJ would have overcome Okami's wrestling, especially if Silva was in the top position.

I do think one of the reasons that leads to so many KO's in MMA, is the lack of boxing skill. The looping punches, combined with fighters keeping their hands low (to prevent takedowns), leads to many KO's. If you can stay on your feet, a good counter-puncher would do very well in MMA.
It was no flop, it was just a square punch that caught him off balance.
Whats up with the chins on MMA fighters? Ufc134_12_silva_vs_okami_011_large

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Ali wrote:
SlickMoney wrote:The gif was deleted i guess. It was from the Silva-Okami fight this past Saturday. Silva landed a jab and Okami hit the deck.

Silva's just that good.

That aint the answer.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Deeznutz wrote:

He wasnt off balance.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Deeznutz Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm

SlickMoney wrote:
Deeznutz wrote:

He wasnt off balance.
At the moment of impact he was. Even if he wasn't there was no flop, not even a fake ploy to get it to the ground. It was a legit knockdown.

Deeznutz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down