The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tip Five Greatest Chins in HW Division

+3
powerpuncher
dbudge
GrantZilla
7 posters

Go down

Tip Five Greatest Chins in HW Division Empty Tip Five Greatest Chins in HW Division

Post  GrantZilla Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm

1) George Chuvalo
2) “The Greatest” Muhammad Ali
3) Randall “Tex” Cobb
4) “Merciless” Ray Mercer
5) “Big” George Foreman

The reasons why for each are listed here
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2010/12/the-top-five-greatest-chins-in-the-heavyweight-division-all-time/

You agree?
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Tip Five Greatest Chins in HW Division Empty Re: Tip Five Greatest Chins in HW Division

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm

I agree %100. I'd almost add Briggs after the horrendous beating he took from Vitali lol

Back to top Go down

Tip Five Greatest Chins in HW Division Empty Re: Tip Five Greatest Chins in HW Division

Post  dbudge Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Oliver McCall should get a mention

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:23 pm

i would have matciano in the top 5 and maybe even jerry quarry. wlad probably deserves a mention too lol!
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:33 pm

David Haye, Wlad klitschko, audley Harrison, Lennox Lewis.... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Canvas wrote:David Haye, Wlad klitschko, audley Harrison, Lennox Lewis.... Very Happy

i don't think Lewis had a terrible chin. he took some massive shots throughout bhis career. even though he got KO'd twice i still think he had a pretty good beard, he got caught with big shots

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:50 pm

no coment on the list..not worth the time to disguss semi-ignorance i guess..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Canvas wrote:David Haye, Wlad klitschko, audley Harrison, Lennox Lewis.... Very Happy
...you forgot leon spinks and floored patterson canvas...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Any list without Joe Grimm is seriously deficient.

I'd also argue Dempsey, Jeffries and Marciano held up against big punching competition. P

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:Any list without Joe Grimm is seriously deficient.

I'd also argue Dempsey, Jeffries and Marciano held up against big punching competition. P
joe grimm! ive been wondering that guys name forever. i could never remember. i remember reading an article about him and chuvalo. they showed that grimm had an extra thick skull.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:55 pm

no love for holmes??? he took a MONSTER SHOT from shavers that 99% of mortals would have been out cold from and he got right back up

its at 2:21
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Rum Capital wrote:no love for holmes??? he took a MONSTER SHOT from shavers that 99% of mortals would have been out cold from and he got right back up

Paul Williams just had a KO relapse watching that.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Capital Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Gumby wrote:
Rum Capital wrote:no love for holmes??? he took a MONSTER SHOT from shavers that 99% of mortals would have been out cold from and he got right back up

Paul Williams just had a KO relapse watching that.
haha its amazing that larry got up from that and there was still about 30 seconds left.
Rum Capital
Rum Capital

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:12 am

dmar5143 wrote:no coment on the list..not worth the time to disguss semi-ignorance i guess..
Ok dmar, I agree that there's no real achievement in getting your head beat off and proving to everyone you can take a life threatening beating. Boxing is the art of hitting while not getting hit. However, what about those fighters who can take bombs and come back and shock everyone in the same round or even the same exchange. I think something needs to be said for that.

Rocky Marciano taking lefts to the body and head from Jersey Joe, yet coming back and shocking Walcott with that dynamite right hand. Ali taking the best of Shavers and stunning him in the last round. Louis coming back against Conn. Yes, there's something to be said for that.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:16 am

Frank wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:no coment on the list..not worth the time to disguss semi-ignorance i guess..
Ok dmar, I agree that there's no real achievement in getting your head beat off and proving to everyone you can take a life threatening beating. Boxing is the art of hitting while not getting hit. However, what about those fighters who can take bombs and come back and shock everyone in the same round or even the same exchange. I think something needs to be said for that.

Rocky Marciano taking lefts to the body and head from Jersey Joe, yet coming back and shocking Walcott with that dynamite right hand. Ali taking the best of Shavers and stunning him in the last round. Louis coming back against Conn. Yes, there's something to be said for that.

I don't think there can be any question that a chin is a boxing asset, if not talent. Of course the game is about hitting and not getting hit; but you ARE going to get hit - the ability to take a punch is essential to boxing. Why not celebrate the best chins?

And I agree with that list, BTW.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down