The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bute-Cloud in the works?

+6
captainanddew
Soonermark890
Tobe
hardcorebee24
gomez1012
GrantZilla
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bute-Cloud in the works?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Bute-Cloud in the works?

Post  captainanddew Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Johnson always does that Ali. He's been getting paid jackshit his whole career. Seems he just wants a payout before he officialy retires.

I got no prob with that

The Super Six was his payout, Glen was arguably finished when Dawson was done with him.

IF Glen pulls off the upset paydays will follow.

he's done the upsets before and the paydays never really followed.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:16 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:Johnson always does that Ali. He's been getting paid jackshit his whole career. Seems he just wants a payout before he officialy retires.

I got no prob with that

The Super Six was his payout, Glen was arguably finished when Dawson was done with him.

IF Glen pulls off the upset paydays will follow.

he's done the upsets before and the paydays never really followed.

That's not true, those wins have given him more fights on tv.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 pm

The Super-Six was not a payout. Showtime doesn't have a huge budget. He probably got paid 50k tops against Froch
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:32 pm

GrantZilla wrote:The Super-Six was not a payout. Showtime doesn't have a huge budget. He probably got paid 50k tops against Froch

Don't be silly, Glen would have easily gotten about 500k + for that fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Ali wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:The Super-Six was not a payout. Showtime doesn't have a huge budget. He probably got paid 50k tops against Froch

Don't be silly, Glen would have easily gotten about 500k + for that fight.

Maybe. Showtime's budget is pretty small.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:00 am

[quote="gomez1012"]
Frank wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:Cloud runs roughshod over Bute. Imagine Andrade' with faster hands & more power. Cloud still has some work to do, but he'd eventually land on Bute.
I'm with you on this, flag. I'll go as far as saying I fear for "Bute" in this fight. I see it as a mismatch. Tavoris Cloud is much too strong for him. Bute is an excellent practioner of the sweet science and one of my fav fighters, but Cloud is way too much for him.

Cloud struggled vs YUSAF MACK

Struggled? He knocked him the fuck out.....
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:20 am

Former world champion and current top super middleweight contender Glen “The Road Warrior” Johnson (51-15-2, 35 KOs) has rejected an offer from the promoters of IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute. While not disclosing the exact offer, Team Johnson states it is “significantly more than a million dollars less than the $1.35 million offer made to first potential opponent, Kelly Pavlik.” Johnson believes the Bute camp is not serious about fighting him.

“I believe that they’re low-balling me very badly, mainly because they don’t want the fight to happen. So, a way to get out is to try to low-ball where they think we won’t accept it, instead of saying ‘we don’t want to fight Glen Johnson.’ I’ve been around long enough to know when somebody’s serious about an offer and I believe the fighter himself wants to compete but the promoter is afraid of stepping him up a level. They want to keep him safe. They don’t have the confidence in him they should have. He’s a good fighter. He should have a great fight and maybe he wins and maybe he loses, but he’s ready for that fight.”

Part of the problem, says Johnson, is that Bute’s team remembers how it went when the two sparred in training previously. “Bute knows the competition coming his way. I know he can compete well and he knows I can. We know each other and both of us know it’s not an easy fight. I think the promoter has to have a little more courage with their fighter. Don’t try to keep me from accepting by low-balling me.”

http://tinyurl.com/3f37vg2

Otherwords, they offered Johnson 350k!
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:32 pm

If Johnson turned it down you know the offer sucked.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:21 pm

350k isn't that bad, especially when you're coming off a loss.

Pavlik is a bigger name with a fanbase, Glen shouldn't be comparing himself to Kelly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:48 pm

Ali wrote:350k isn't that bad, especially when you're coming off a loss.

Pavlik is a bigger name with a fanbase, Glen shouldn't be comparing himself to Kelly.
I dont think he has that anymore.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Obviously 350k is a nice day at the office but you have to think how much this fight would make. This fight will probably get the fighters around 3 million IMO. That means it would be an 88-12 split. Glen is deserving of at least 30%. I think this is the only tough situation of being a promoter. Weighing the fact that Glen's next best offer is probably lower than even Bute's offer and would not be for a belt vs the fact Bute is trying to screw you over.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:44 pm

But the offer is not even 350K. He said its significantly lower than that. So it could be 50k which is a low ball offer considering he could get more fighting someone else. At least he is not kelly Pavlik pulling out of a fight the week of the fight and then saying its chump change. FUCK YOU KELLY!!!
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Even it's 350k, Johnson will not get all of that. Take out promoter cut, training cost, and the bullshit fee for the IBF trinket
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Even it's 350k, Johnson will not get all of that. Take out promoter cut, training cost, and the bullshit fee for the IBF trinket
What I like about it is Johnson went the right way about it. So he doesnt look like a douche-bag. FUCK YOU KELLY!!!
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:14 pm

UBeeg9cats wrote:

Obviously 350k is a nice day at the office but you have to think how much this fight would make. This fight will probably get the fighters around 3 million IMO. That means it would be an 88-12 split. Glen is deserving of at least 30%. I think this is the only tough situation of being a promoter. Weighing the fact that Glen's next best offer is probably lower than even Bute's offer and would not be for a belt vs the fact Bute is trying to screw you over.

deserve doesn't have much to do with it.

I love the Road Warrior. I wish he would get paid more. But as long as the offer was equal to or above Johnson's normal market value, I understand the offer.

They didn't give the exact number and until it is known it is hard to truly evaluate the offer.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Ali wrote:And yet Bute wouldn't even consider a Pascal fight in the past Mad Evil or Very Mad No

You can't put that all on Bute. Interbox and GYM wouldn't make the deal as they each had a big draw in the Quebec market with those guys when they were both undefeated - no one wanted to take the loss. I could see that fight getting made now.

As for Cloud being a better version of Andrade, I don't really see that. He is better, but a different fighter. And besides, no matter what people want to say, Bute has two wins over Andrade and beat him down in the rematch.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Mikkel Kessler turned down the fight. Kelly Pavlik turned it down -- and the $1.35 million (minimum) payday -- as well.

But not Glen Johnson. The former light heavyweight champ wants the fight badly. Just treat him fairly, he said, and he will live up to his "Road Warrior" nickname, show up in Montreal and fight his heart out against super middleweight titlist Lucian Bute.

"I really want to get it done," Johnson told me about the ongoing negotiations to make a deal. "I do believe they should keep in mind that I have accomplished some things when they put an offer on the table."

With those guys taking themselves out of the running, Johnson is clearly the most attractive (and available) option for Bute. His co-promoters, Leon Margules and Lou DiBella, have been negotiating with Bedard, even though they've been far apart on the money.

They, and Johnson, were not happy with the initial offer, which was less than $300,000 -- simply a disrespectful and laughable lowball offer for a fighter of Johnson's stature, regardless of the fact that he's coming off a (competitive) decision loss to Froch in the Super Six semifinals in June.

Margules said on Monday that they were getting closer but that there is still work to be done. "We've narrowed the gap," Margules said, adding that they would probably close on a number that he and DiBella were not happy with because that's how much Johnson wants the fight.

Johnson will probably wind up taking a deal worth less than $500,000.

http://tinyurl.com/428rblk

You were saying Ali, that Johnson is a diva?
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2