The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JMM has accepted terms for Pac fight...Waiting for GB counter offer

+5
captainanddew
Norm1023
hardcorebee24
NJBeatdown86
GrantZilla
9 posters

Go down

JMM has accepted terms for Pac fight...Waiting for GB counter offer Empty JMM has accepted terms for Pac fight...Waiting for GB counter offer

Post  GrantZilla Tue May 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said Tuesday that Juan Manuel Marquez has accepted a revised offer to fight Pacquiao in November. The hitch is that Marquez's promoter, Golden Boy, has the opoortunity to match the deal, and its chief executive says he plans to.

Golden Boy Chairman Richard Schaefer told The Times on Tuesday that it's his understanding Marquez has agreed to a Pacquiao fight at a lowered welterweight catch weight of 144 pounds, with $5 million guaranteed in what would be a third meeting between the fighters.

Pacquiao and Marquez battled to a 2004 draw, and Pacquiao won a split-decision in 2008.

Yet, through the end of this year, Golden Boy has the contractual ability to match any financial deal Marquez, the world lightweight champion, is offered. Schaefer said he has a date reserved for a boxing card on Sept. 17 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. One possibility is that Marquez would fight on that date against new world welterweight champion Victor Ortiz of Oxnard.

Ortiz has previously fought at 140 pounds, so he could fight at 144, too, Schaefer said.

Regarding the finances, Schaefer said he was confident Golden Boy could secure a $5-million payday for Marquez, saying, "I'm sure HBO would be on board," in helping to put the bout together.

Schaefer said there's a possibility newly crowned world super-welterweight Saul "Canelo" Alvarez could stage a title defense on the Sept. 17 card.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/05/juan-manuel-marquez-manny-pacquiao-boxing.html

Who the fuck is Schaefer kidding. Going to pay JMM 5 mill to fight Ortiz?
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

JMM has accepted terms for Pac fight...Waiting for GB counter offer Empty Re: JMM has accepted terms for Pac fight...Waiting for GB counter offer

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue May 10, 2011 10:56 pm

At the very least, no bro fives in this fight.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

JMM has accepted terms for Pac fight...Waiting for GB counter offer Empty Re: JMM has accepted terms for Pac fight...Waiting for GB counter offer

Post  hardcorebee24 Wed May 11, 2011 12:40 am

Why cant Bob have Manny fight in September, he didn't get hurt I see no reason not to fight sooner.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 am

GBP are being assholes on this issue.

They can offer Marquez the same money but they can't offer him the chance to fight the #1 P4P guy.

Chances are he loses to both Manny and Ortiz(he's just too big). Why would GBP give him 5 Mil to lose to Ortiz? Just to screw the public of the fight that 75% of the people (not me) want to see?

GBP are assholes.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed May 11, 2011 6:26 am

Norm1023 wrote:GBP are being assholes on this issue.

They can offer Marquez the same money but they can't offer him the chance to fight the #1 P4P guy.

Chances are he loses to both Manny and Ortiz(he's just too big). Why would GBP give him 5 Mil to lose to Ortiz? Just to screw the public of the fight that 75% of the people (not me) want to see?

GBP are assholes.

Golden boy needs to let him go. It makes no sense. Now, a fight against Ortiz. Ortiz is a big boy. If he made 144 he'd rehydrate up a good 13-14 pounds. That is fair, have Marquez walk into the ring in the mid 140s (a little over the 144 he weighs in) and have to fight a guy who is an easy 12-14 pounds bigger. All to screw over fight fans (and to try to build up their new face of Golden Boy, Ortiz).

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed May 11, 2011 7:00 am

JMM would be an idiot to turn down Top Rank's offer over GB. He got what he wanted. Five million, a chance to get revenge on Pac, and it being at a catchweight of 144, which will benifit him, not Pac.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 am

GrantZilla wrote:JMM would be an idiot to turn down Top Rank's offer over GB. He got what he wanted. Five million, a chance to get revenge on Pac, and it being at a catchweight of 144, which will benifit him, not Pac.

it isn't Marquez and turning down. I believe Golden boy has to match his offer from top rank in financial terms. I'll wait to hear more details what that requires.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 8:05 am

the fight will be manny vs marquez.no where have i read that in the contract it says marquez MUST take the matching offer.thats a big key.500 000 buys on ppv would be about a breakeven point for the ortiz fight since ortiz is not going to take less then marquez and would want a little more.remember thats just a guarentee im sure theres a upside for marquez in the ppv lets say for example anything over a million buys.so another million or two could easily go into marquez pocket..
alvarez could be better financialy for marquez over the ortiz fight but theres no way i can see alvarez folks agreeing to 144 or even 147.GB is blowing smoke at marquez if they think that fight will happen.
im sure for the same money marquez will want manny not ortiz.he asked for the pac fight and he got it.
at 144 that dont hurt pac one bit.its one pound less then the mosley fight..as captain said they will both weigh about the same or 3 or so pounds different fight night.
this should resolverather fast and if it does bradley-kahn should be on.if bradley wins then a pac-bradley fight will be next if pac wins then a suprize retirement from pac after that fight if he wins...
lets see if dan r gives us details on the GB contract and that matching offer.i doubt theres a clause saying he MUST take the matching offer.if there was he or someone else like GB would of mentioned that..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 8:31 am

i just re read.yes they have a sept 17 date reserved at mgm..it in all likehood will be filled by alvarez vs tba.not marquez as i thought.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed May 11, 2011 8:35 am

Honestly, I really don't want to see this fight and I'm at loss at to why Manny Pacquiao is taking it.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Wed May 11, 2011 8:37 am

captainanddew wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:JMM would be an idiot to turn down Top Rank's offer over GB. He got what he wanted. Five million, a chance to get revenge on Pac, and it being at a catchweight of 144, which will benifit him, not Pac.

it isn't Marquez and turning down. I believe Golden boy has to match his offer from top rank in financial terms. I'll wait to hear more details what that requires.
So if they match it does that mean he has to fight Ortiz or can he turn it down. BTW why wouldnt GBP want him to fight Pac? Wouldnt they get a piece of it?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed May 11, 2011 12:25 pm

GBP cannot match it. Ortiz made 400k vs Berto

Like Norm said Golden Boy being dicks just because Arum runs a better business
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:Why cant Bob have Manny fight in September, he didn't get hurt I see no reason not to fight sooner.

GBP has Canelo PPV date, trying to get Mayorga in there as the oppponent

November been good to them for Cotto and Margarito bouts
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Have fun sitting on that bench Bradley.

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Wed May 11, 2011 2:19 pm

GBP's only chance to match is with Canelo but I read JMM say they have to match purse AND weight. Canelo cannot make 144 so this means Pac-JMM III should happen next.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down