The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bigger upset so far?

+4
GrantZilla
gomez1012
Groundhog
Diego408
8 posters

Go down

Bigger upset so far? Empty Bigger upset so far?

Post  Diego408 Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Salido TKO over Lopez
Ishida TKO over Kirkland
or Ortiz over Berto

To some, they felt Ortiz had no chance at all, but I think the other two were way bigger upsets.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Bigger upset so far? Empty Re: Bigger upset so far?

Post  Groundhog Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:15 pm

definitely Ishida. who the fuck is Ishida?

Salido has been around for a while and taken some of the best to the distance.

Everyone knew Ortiz had heart issues and concentration lapses but also knew he was physically talented as well as big.

Kirkland took bombs from Julio, yet got dropped 3x by a pillow puncher.

Def Kirkland.

I'd say Morales lasting all 12 rds and making it close and even winning on some people's cards was an "upset" even though technically it's not lol

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Rubio over Lemieux

I thought Lemieux had more than just the power
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:38 pm

Definitely Kirkland getting dealt with in the first round by a feather fisted nobody

This guy was getting hyped up to take on Marinez and be a full on beast in the division
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Ishida was the most surprising, Ortiz was the most significant.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 am

i think Salido stopping JML is the biggest upset

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:52 am

GrantZilla wrote:Definitely Kirkland getting dealt with in the first round by a feather fisted nobody

This guy was getting hyped up to take on Marinez and be a full on beast in the division
I agree that this is the reason the Kirlkland KO loss is the biggest upset. I have nothing to add to this. Thanks again, Grant.

As far as the Berto fight is concerned, I don't consider that an upset. I was always of the belief that Berto was a gifted fighter who had the power and speed to become a great fighter. However, his camp lacks the knowledge to teach him the basic fundamentals of the sport and I was always convinced that any seasoned, world class boxer would have little trouble dispatching him.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 am

dbudge wrote:i think Salido stopping JML is the biggest upset

overlooked but was it that surprising considering how many times we've seen him hurt? Mtagwa, Concepcion, and Rafael Marquez
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Definitely Ishida with his 8 professional career knockouts putting Kirkland on queer street.

It's the equivalent of Malignaggi stopping Mike Jones.

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:57 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:i think Salido stopping JML is the biggest upset

overlooked but was it that surprising considering how many times we've seen him hurt? Mtagwa, Concepcion, and Rafael Marquez
what does take lust off that upset is its not Salidos first time getting an upset. I still remember him whooping Guerreros ass on the Flod-Baldi card.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Diego408 wrote:what does take lust off that upset is its not Salidos first time getting an upset. I still remember him whooping Guerreros ass on the Flod-Baldi card.

Im not taking anything away from Salido, just saying not as big as Kirkland or Lemiuex because of how many times JML has been in trouble in previous fights
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:55 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Diego408 wrote:what does take lust off that upset is its not Salidos first time getting an upset. I still remember him whooping Guerreros ass on the Flod-Baldi card.

Im not taking anything away from Salido, just saying not as big as Kirkland or Lemiuex because of how many times JML has been in trouble in previous fights

yeh but i think i'm viewing it as an upset. Arum blatantly didn't match these two together for this to happen. Ortiz vs Berto was always going to be a competitive fight in my opinion. i thought Berto was going to get the KO win but i always said that fight had the makings to be a classic and got laughed at on here. the Kirkland thing was a massive upset, but Kirkland is still very unproven in my opinion. Lopez was meant to have his little homecoming party in Puerto Rico with a guy boasting 11 defeats on his record. Lopez was 30-0 (27kos) ranked at the very top of the featherweight division and seen as the man to beat. realistically this fight was meant to be another keep busy until a Gamboa showdown materialised. yeh Lopez has been hurt plenty, but he always managed to get the win in impressive fashion before. he's shown heart in fights. i think he definitely took his eye off the prize and didn't live the life. i always thought Lopez was a massive guy to be cutting down to 126lb, and i think maybe that is the case. i think his whole training camp was based around boiling down and not working on how to beat his opponent because Salido could not miss with the right hand.

and in response to another thread, i think the fight definitely should have been stopped. Lopez was getting hurt everytime Salido landed and to let the fight continue would have just delayed the inevitable. a referee has a duty and a responsibility to protect the fighters and in this case i think he made the right call. unlike the Khan - McCloskey match which i'm so glad i didn't go to Manchester for now!!!

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:20 pm

dbudge wrote:
yeh but i think i'm viewing it as an upset. Arum blatantly didn't match these two together for this to happen. Ortiz vs Berto was always going to be a competitive fight in my opinion. i thought Berto was going to get the KO win but i always said that fight had the makings to be a classic and got laughed at on here. the Kirkland thing was a massive upset, but Kirkland is still very unproven in my opinion. Lopez was meant to have his little homecoming party in Puerto Rico with a guy boasting 11 defeats on his record. Lopez was 30-0 (27kos) ranked at the very top of the featherweight division and seen as the man to beat. realistically this fight was meant to be another keep busy until a Gamboa showdown materialised. yeh Lopez has been hurt plenty, but he always managed to get the win in impressive fashion before. he's shown heart in fights. i think he definitely took his eye off the prize and didn't live the life. i always thought Lopez was a massive guy to be cutting down to 126lb, and i think maybe that is the case. i think his whole training camp was based around boiling down and not working on how to beat his opponent because Salido could not miss with the right hand.

and in response to another thread, i think the fight definitely should have been stopped. Lopez was getting hurt everytime Salido landed and to let the fight continue would have just delayed the inevitable. a referee has a duty and a responsibility to protect the fighters and in this case i think he made the right call. unlike the Khan - McCloskey match which i'm so glad i didn't go to Manchester for now!!!

I agree its an upset, but not as big as the others
Salido is a tough vet and he had his best night vs JML, but not completely surprised when Mtagwa almost had him out and so did a war torn Marquez

Like I said, I didnt mind the stoppage, just saying that a ref like Smoger would of let it go on a bit more. Still doesnt change the outcome

Berto vs Ortiz a classic? LOL at that again, 3 KDs are great but Berto clinched waaaay too much for my taste

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm

fuck me, there's just no pleasing some people!!!

that was a fucking good fight man, great entertainment, great action and your worrying about a bit of clinching? did it not even give you a little tingle down below??

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:35 pm

dbudge wrote:fuck me, there's just no pleasing some people!!!

that was a fucking good fight man, great entertainment, great action and your worrying about a bit of clinching? did it not even give you a little tingle down below??

I said it was good, but to call it a classic is a bit extreme
Berto's strategy
Bigger upset so far? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaYFJmy6vMMd87N1JvoovVZypbOv1IZBhz7CUPducxSCx6RncgbA

HUG!!! Mad

Go rewatch Berto vs Urango since you love Bumdre's style so much
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

LOL. Baby Ruiz?

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
dbudge wrote:fuck me, there's just no pleasing some people!!!

I said it was good, but to call it a classic is a bit extreme
Berto's strategy
Bigger upset so far? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaYFJmy6vMMd87N1JvoovVZypbOv1IZBhz7CUPducxSCx6RncgbA

HUG!!! Mad

Go rewatch Berto vs Urango since you love Bumdre's style so much

i'd rather hug you sugar pop x x x

it was a good fight and so far quite possibly FOTY. i do agree there is too much hugging in boxing nowadays and the refs need to start being firmer about it

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Ortiz vs Berto was a very good fight, but Morales vs Maidana is still the way better fight. From 8 to 12 Berto wasnt really fighting anymore, he was just hugging and ORtiz was smothering him for the UD.

Can we give props for Ortiz for possibly getting round of the year again? he got it in 09 against Maidana in round 1 and now easily hes gonna get it with berto for round 6. Depending on who Ortiz fights, he can make some pretty good scraps.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:07 pm

LOL. Baby Ruiz?

rather hug you sugar pop x x x

it was a good fight and so far quite possibly FOTY. i do agree there is too much hugging in boxing nowadays and the refs need to start being firmer about it

Bigger upset so far? Bertohugs
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:29 pm

I think Ortiz was partially to blame as well for some of the holding because he too did his fair share of grabbing and lunging in.

However the good thing is, even though the last half of the fight wasn't pretty, Ortiz showed he at least knew how to win rounds against a chronic holder. Probably wasn't the most effective way of doing it but he got the job done.

What surprised me was how clueless Berto was when he was against the ropes. Dude just cannot fight any kind of inside fight.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Round 6 of Ortiz-Berto will not win round of the year. They did nothing for the 1st half of the round. I'm sure something else will come along far better.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:33 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
LOL. Baby Ruiz?

rather hug you sugar pop x x x

Bigger upset so far? Bertohugs
LMAO
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Groundhog wrote:I think Ortiz was partially to blame as well for some of the holding because he too did his fair share of grabbing and lunging in.

However the good thing is, even though the last half of the fight wasn't pretty, Ortiz showed he at least knew how to win rounds against a chronic holder. Probably wasn't the most effective way of doing it but he got the job done.

What surprised me was how clueless Berto was when he was against the ropes. Dude just cannot fight any kind of inside fight.
Berto has no defense and its the reason he holds, especially on the inside because he has no idea how to fight on the inside. Collazo exposed him in that aspect (Im starting to use that word a lot lol) and the reason Ortiz exploited it. For Ortizes credit, he did what he could when Berto held. He smothered him and got in a few rabit punches.

Berto was hurt a lot through that fight, he was fighting on pure Heart when Ortiz was punshing him. His legs werent there and the reason he was laying on the ropes through out most of the fight. This fight is an upset, but not as big as others this month alone.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Diego408 wrote:Berto has no defense and its the reason he holds, especially on the inside because he has no idea how to fight on the inside. Collazo exposed him in that aspect (Im starting to use that word a lot lol) and the reason Ortiz exploited it. For Ortizes credit, he did what he could when Berto held. He smothered him and got in a few rabit punches.

Berto was hurt a lot through that fight, he was fighting on pure Heart when Ortiz was punshing him. His legs werent there and the reason he was laying on the ropes through out most of the fight. This fight is an upset, but not as big as others this month alone.

+1

Ortiz was landing hooks all night to the midsection when his hands where free
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 pm

SlickMoney wrote:Round 6 of Ortiz-Berto will not win round of the year. They did nothing for the 1st half of the round. I'm sure something else will come along far better.
it was a boxing match for the first half, the last minute was what I call "jumping out of you seat" entertaining. Its the best round of the year so far and we arent half way yet, so Im sure something better may come along. But its the best round so far IMO.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down