The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could Top Rank - Golden Boy Promotions ever Merge ?

5 posters

Go down

Could Top Rank - Golden Boy Promotions ever Merge ? Empty Could Top Rank - Golden Boy Promotions ever Merge ?

Post  Shaun Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Ok, not really, but Zuffa (Parent Company of the UFC) just bought Strikeforce today. Do you think there's any chance of Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions ever merging?

What about these two companies buying out promotional companies like Dibella and Goosen?
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Could Top Rank - Golden Boy Promotions ever Merge ? Empty Re: Could Top Rank - Golden Boy Promotions ever Merge ?

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:12 pm

That will never happen for as long as Bob Arum lives.

As for the smaller companies merging that is possible. If I was Oscar I'd be looking into buying Goosen, Shaw, DiBella etc.

Back to top Go down

Could Top Rank - Golden Boy Promotions ever Merge ? Empty Re: Could Top Rank - Golden Boy Promotions ever Merge ?

Post  Shaun Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Ali wrote:That will never happen for as long as Bob Arum lives.

As for the smaller companies merging that is possible. If I was Oscar I'd be looking into buying Goosen, Shaw, DiBella etc.

So you see it as Golden Boy buying out Top Rank and not the other way around?

For some reason, I get the idea that Top Rank brings in more money and has a higher net worth than Top Rank. However, there's no way Oscar would let Top Rank buy out his company. Although Golden Boy can be shady, I think they are trying to keep their integrity high.

When Bob Arum's health becomes an issue, there could always be that possibility.

What about Don King?
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:17 pm

shdavistx wrote:

For some reason, I get the idea that Top Rank brings in more money and has a higher net worth than Top Rank. However, there's no way Oscar would let Top Rank buy out his company. Although Golden Boy can be shady, I think they are trying to keep their integrity high.

When Bob Arum's health becomes an issue, there could always be that possibility.

What about Don King?

Bob Arum's health shouldn't be a big issue. His son in law has been groomed for a long freaking time to take over when Bob goes. I would venture that they have prepared for that eventuality.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:21 pm

shdavistx wrote:

What about Don King?

I see Oscar as the more ambitious business man. Bob's at a point where his company is financially secure, he doesn't need to merge with other companies to keep the cash flowing. Oscar showed in the past by investing in Affliction that he wants to expand the company and tap into other markets.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Top Rank is 100 times bigger the GB. They make so much money off selling fights overseas, and Arum is in good hands when his son in law takes over. He's already been flexing his influence, and PAc-Mosley Showtime-CBS deal was pretty much his doing.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Todd Duboef. Don't want to paste entire article because it is long. Arum married his mom. He is college educated and worked at Top Rank since 1993.

http://www.secondsout.com/features/main-features/todd-duboef-and-the-future-of-boxing

if the article isn't a fluff piece then it sounds like Top Rank will be under sound leadership even after the reign of Bob Arum is over.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Not a fluff piece at all. Arum pretty much conceded a lot what going on with Top Rank today is under Duboef.

Duboef said if he had his way, he'd put Pac-Clottey on ESPN because it would gotten more exposure then what HBO piss poor job gave it.

Duboef made it no secret that HBO sucks as far as advertising fights, and his desire to get fights on bigger platforms.

He was driving force behind Pac-Mosley Showtime-CBS deal for sure.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Top Rank might put GBP out of business
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:29 pm

gomez1012 wrote:Top Rank might put GBP out of business

I think GB is going to become a minor promotion in the near future. When HBO get's new managment, which is going to happen, and GB out-put deal ends, they are fucked.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:46 pm

GrantZilla wrote:

I think GB is going to become a minor promotion in the near future. When HBO get's new managment, which is going to happen, and GB out-put deal ends, they are fucked.

They have young stars in Khan and Alvarez.

Also have HBO/SHO ready fighters in Guerrero, Linares, Kirkland, Maidana, Mares and Ortiz.

Up and comers Seth Mitchell, Frankie Gomez, and Deontay Wilder.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Here's the thing Slick. Most those guys are other promoters fighters, and GB has to pay those promoters out still, since they still got a piece of them.

That's all GB can do. Right now, they getting sued by Alverez's former promoter. All Star Boxing Promotion is stating they have a vaild four year contract that started in 2008 by Alvarez, and that GB knew it, and signed him anyways.

This lawsuit can get real ugly. I'm surprised it has taken this long for something like this to happen. Been long known GB and HBO basicaly coerce fighters to leave their promotion and go to GB to get dates on HBO. When HBO's out-put deal ends with GB, they won't have that anymore.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 pm

We'll see.

Just like we'll see when Duboef takes over Top Rank if he puts fights on ESPN or on a network.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:15 pm

SlickMoney wrote:We'll see.

Just like we'll see when Duboef takes over Top Rank if he puts fights on ESPN or on a network.

I won't be shocked at all if we see Top Rank fights on CBS this year. There's been talk that Chavez Jr would land on CBS. I wouldn't be surprised if he does at some point this year.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Also have HBO/SHO ready fighters in Guerrero, Linares, Kirkland, Maidana, Mares and Ortiz.

Up and comers Seth Mitchell, Frankie Gomez, and Deontay Wilder. [/quote]

I'd much rather have (personal preference):
Pac
Lopez
Gamboa
Cotto
Donaire
Rios
Clottey
Pavlik
Segura

Big Mexican draws in Chavez Jr., Soto, Antillon, Arce

up and comers
Benavidez
Marroquin

Golden boy has some good fighters, but it has proven to be inept at growing its own talent. That can't be ignored. If they don't begin to develop prospects at a higher success rate then they will be left far behind.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:20 pm

I wasnt comparing Top Rank's roster with Golden Boy's. Just making a point that they'll be around for years to come. The fact that they steal fighters only goes to show that they'll be doing that in the future and will continue to stick around.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:27 pm

SlickMoney wrote:
GrantZilla wrote:

Up and comers Seth Mitchell, Frankie Gomez, and Deontay Wilder.

The big problem I have is the ceiling for Alvarez. I don't think he will be a top 10 P4P fighter. I just don't. I think he gets derailed when he starts taking on top competition at 154.

Khan-he needs a win against Bradley to propel him to the stratosphere. And Golden Boy has to develop a bigger fanbase in the US. I hope he does get by Bradley and become a huge star.

Linares has a fanbase-in Japan!!! He also hasn't progressed a whole hell of a lot in the last few years. Guererro has largely gone laterally for the last few years. He looked much more impressive before he started moving up in weight.
Ortiz is being sacrificed to Berto.

I love Kirkland. Hopefully Adams adds some defense to him as he gets the rust off.

Maidana-I love him as well. He is a great action fighter. But how long does a guy like him take a licking and keep on ticking. At the beginning of the Ortiz and Khan fights he was beginning to wilt. After a few more big punishing wars he will begin to have trouble standing up to some much fire (they need to teach that man a little defense!!!).

As for developing fighters-Mitchell and Wilder are raw 3-4 year projects at this point
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:29 pm

SlickMoney wrote:I wasnt comparing Top Rank's roster with Golden Boy's. Just making a point that they'll be around for years to come. The fact that they steal fighters only goes to show that they'll be doing that in the future and will continue to stick around.

I think they'll be around as well. But putting up money and stealing other fighters has left them a little thin. If they don't start producing homegrown talent, then they will be a minor organization as Grant has said. Top Rank will be the major leagues with alot of top talent, while Golden Boy will be largely minor league, with a few big names.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Again, what is going to happen to GB when they lose their out-put deal with HBO?

They won't be able to basicaly steal fighters from other promoters by blacklisting them on HBO unless they sign with GB.

So they will have to build up their own fighters. And it's been shown, they are totaly incompetant at doing it.

There's not been a successful GB fighter they have built up. Every fighter they got that is doing anything for them, they stole from other promoters.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Golden Boy won't go out of business nor will it become a minor promotion, the HBO boss might not give them the same deal as they have now but the company will still be a vital part of the network's boxing plan.

They're not going to just suddenly forgot about all the PPV revenue and ratings Oscar brought them.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:54 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Again, what is going to happen to GB when they lose their out-put deal with HBO?

They won't be able to basicaly steal fighters from other promoters by blacklisting them on HBO unless they sign with GB.

So they will have to build up their own fighters. And it's been shown, they are totaly incompetant at doing it.

There's not been a successful GB fighter they have built up. Every fighter they got that is doing anything for them, they stole from other promoters.

Without HBO and Greenburg GBP isnt in the position it is in today, if heads rolls at HBO which is very likely

GBP going to take a major HIT

They wont be promising/offering Anselmo Moreno multiple six figure paydays
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Ali wrote:Golden Boy won't go out of business nor will it become a minor promotion, the HBO boss might not give them the same deal as they have now but the company will still be a vital part of the network's boxing plan.

They're not going to just suddenly forgot about all the PPV revenue and ratings Oscar brought them.

All time LOW right now

Theyre not thinking about the past, looking at the future of the sport
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:Golden Boy won't go out of business nor will it become a minor promotion, the HBO boss might not give them the same deal as they have now but the company will still be a vital part of the network's boxing plan.

All time LOW right now

Theyre not thinking about the past, looking at the future of the sport

Canelo and Khan bring good ratings.

Golden Boy is taking alot of unfair flack for Greenburg's incompetence.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Ali wrote:

Goes hand in hand with each other, GBP exclusive deal with HBO is what has really hurt the fights the network airs. Promising dates w/out even knowing who is going to be fighting! Overpaying fighters who dont merit it etc etc

Khan's deal with GBP almost up too, it wouldnt surprise me if he left for Arum's stable

Canelo will be fighting stiffs for awhile, better develop him properly.

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:14 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:

Goes hand in hand with each other, GBP exclusive deal with HBO is what has really hurt the fights the network airs. Promising dates w/out even knowing who is going to be fighting! Overpaying fighters who dont merit it etc etc

Khan's deal with GBP almost up too, it wouldnt surprise me if he left for Arum's stable

Canelo will be fighting stiffs for awhile, better develop him properly.

That's not Golden Boy's fault, and at the end of the day when you're a promoter having an exclusive deal with HBO is a great thing for your stable.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down