The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues

4 posters

Go down

Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues Empty Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:55 am

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum has went full blast at his promotional rivals, Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions. Top Rank and Golden Boy, recognized as the two biggest promotional companies in the United States, have not done business with each other since the Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton fight in 2009. Tensions boiled over when the two sides failed to reach an agreement for a mega-fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Arum brought up the incident from 2006 when De La Hoya tried to sign Pacquiao to a promotional contract with a suitcase filled with cash.

"We have been in this business a long time, me since the 1960s," said Arum to the Las Vegas Review Journal. "I have never, ever shanghaied a fighter, given a fighter a suitcase filled with money or offered a fighter a contract in a car just after taking a 16-hour flight. They (Schaefer and De La Hoya) are shadier than the worst people in boxing. And for Oscar to participate in that really shows his true colors. I think [Schaefer is] treacherous. He's not honorable. You can't take his word. At the first opportunity, he'll knife you in the back."

De La Hoya hit back, stating to the paper that his company will not be intimidated by Arum.

"I've known Arum a long time, and he always needs to be in a fight with someone. He's a barker and he's very loud. Everyone knows he tries to intimidate with his bark. But he knows he can't intimidate me or Richard," De La Hoya said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-shreds-de-la-hoya-schaefer-they-worst--35910

Back to top Go down

Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues Empty Re: Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues

Post  gomez1012 Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Good

GBP will crumble under Arum's fist!!!

Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues Arum-schaefer
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues Empty Re: Bad news for the sport as Top Rank vs Golden Boy continues

Post  GrantZilla Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:12 pm

The pure sleazy stuff GB does to steal other promoter's fighters, with HBO's help, makes it impossible to ever side with them on anything.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Don't worry guys I'm sure Oscar and Schaefer will soon crush that old B-Rex and revive boxing...
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 pm

kbyte wrote:Don't worry guys I'm sure Oscar and Schaefer will soon crush that old B-Rex and revive boxing...

I hope you're joking.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
kbyte wrote:Don't worry guys I'm sure Oscar and Schaefer will soon crush that old B-Rex and revive boxing...

I hope you're joking.

Obviously lol
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:53 am

If Golden Boy want to compete with Top Rank they should start merging with other companies.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Ali wrote:If Golden Boy want to compete with Top Rank they should start merging with other companies.

Which they wont do because of Schaefer's ego

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Ali wrote:If Golden Boy want to compete with Top Rank they should start merging with other companies.

Which they wont do because of Schaefer's ego

I don't get all the hate for Schaefer, he seems affable to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 pm

He's a moron
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:21 pm

gomez1012 wrote:He's a moron

That's harsh, he did after all bring us the greatest fight of all time, Winky Wright vs Bernard Hopkins Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Hopkins vs Jones II
Mora vs Mosley

On PPV!

They sign/poach fighters with no plan on building or developing them

Look at the weekly crap they show on Solo Boxeo and Fight Night Club

Its just garbage mismatch after mismatch
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 pm

How old is the company ?

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Ali wrote:How old is the company ?

Old enough to be going out of business
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Schaefer is a smart guy, but is a total sleaze bag whore who will say anything to line his own pocket.

I lost all respect for Schaefer after his classless comments following the Hopkins/Pascal fight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Canvas wrote:Schaefer is a smart guy, but is a total sleaze bag whore who will say anything to line his own pocket.

I lost all respect for Schaefer after his classless comments following the Hopkins/Pascal fight.

Put yourself in his shoes Canvas, if Richard had kept quiet Bernard would've have taken his silence as an insult. Golden Boy and Hopkins have been on shaky ground lately.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:53 pm

he went far beyond what he needed to say to support Hopkins, Ali...

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:59 pm

If Top Rank & Golden Boy would stop leaking information to the media about fight negotiations none of this would happen.

But then we wouldn't have anything to specualte on and bitch about.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down