The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pavlik reflects on battles with alcoholism, looks ahead to future

+4
captainanddew
Norm1023
bird
gomez1012
8 posters

Go down

Pavlik reflects on battles with alcoholism, looks ahead to future Empty Pavlik reflects on battles with alcoholism, looks ahead to future

Post  gomez1012 Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:46 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/02/16/kelly.pavlik.rehab/index.html

Nice read

Pavlik, I still believe has all the tools to be a force at 160-168

Wish him the best
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Pavlik reflects on battles with alcoholism, looks ahead to future Empty Re: Pavlik reflects on battles with alcoholism, looks ahead to future

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm

It doesn't sound too promising to me. He still doesn't truly believe he has a problem. He isn't going to meetings...and he has refused the suggestion that he move away from Youngstown....

Back to top Go down

Pavlik reflects on battles with alcoholism, looks ahead to future Empty Re: Pavlik reflects on battles with alcoholism, looks ahead to future

Post  bird Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:44 pm

Can anyone else see Kelly at the bar and Jack Loew in the background

Double Fucking Fist that shit yaaaa!!!

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:51 pm

bird wrote:Can anyone else see Kelly at the bar and Jack Loew in the background

Double Fucking Fist that shit yaaaa!!!

lol!
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Pavlik just comes off as an asshole sorry, "I didnt have a big problem yet"

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:02 pm

bird wrote:Pavlik just comes off as an asshole sorry, "I didnt have a big problem yet"

Like Frank said, pretty arrogant to what he was going through

See how he does on his comeback

Very dumb to still be in Ohio though, get the hell out of there
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:41 pm

its like sorry your mad Kelly your right we should have waited till you became a full blown fuck up alcoholic instead of getting you help when you obviously needed it

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Canvas wrote:It doesn't sound too promising to me. He still doesn't truly believe he has a problem. He isn't going to meetings...and he has refused the suggestion that he move away from Youngstown....
..i agree with all but youngstown.the city isnt the problem its kelly and if he moves the problem moves with him..its a shame cause he seems like a nice down to earth decent guy.no meetings no thoughts of gee i got a big problem nope its little compared to others..that i see as a very possible downfall..i hope he comes to his sences..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Canvas wrote:It doesn't sound too promising to me. He still doesn't truly believe he has a problem. He isn't going to meetings...and he has refused the suggestion that he move away from Youngstown....

+1

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 pm

So everyone here was completely committed to their job in their 20's.

Shit, I better sign up for the next AA meeting in these parts. I'm beginning to realize I was an alcoholic from 1990-2000.

How did I ever manage to get out of that rut?
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:36 pm

if his family staged 2 interventions then it was more than just a guy partying. He appears to have had a serious drinking problem.

He thinks because he doesn't wake up and start drinking or slamming hard drugs that he wasn't like the people he was with in rehab. The thing he doesn't understand is all of them were just like him at some point; telling everyone else it was just partying.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:08 am

Every drug addict and even more so alcoholics, because more culturally accepted, don't think they have a problem. With alcohol it's such a part of our culture it makes it harder to distinguish you got a problem then say doing crack or shooting up
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 am

GrantZilla wrote:Every drug addict and even more so alcoholics, because more culturally accepted, don't think they have a problem. With alcohol it's such a part of our culture it makes it harder to distinguish you got a problem then say doing crack or shooting up

It's a tough one for sure. Just look how closely tied alcohol is to everything in a guy like Pavlik's life - the ads on are the ring he fights in, on TV when he watches football, in the magazines he reads. His social circle is all about showing respect by buying him drinks. That's pretty much what most people deal with and most people do drink. Definitely no clear line that says on this side you're fine; but on this side you need to go to rehab.

End of the day I guess you got to have people around you who you trust and actually listen to them. Not sure Kelley is really taking that to heart in this case.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 am

GrantZilla wrote:Every drug addict and even more so alcoholics, because more culturally accepted, don't think they have a problem. With alcohol it's such a part of our culture it makes it harder to distinguish you got a problem then say doing crack or shooting up

yep that is exactly how it is. the first stages of recognising a person's dependancy on drugs/alcohol is their insistent denial about it when the rest of the World can see that they're in a bar/ junked up all the fucking time. sounds like Kelly is still in the stages of denial. going to rehab doesn't automatically cure the cause, it is the individual's responsibilty to overcome their own addictions through their own willpower. And Kelly needs to get out of Youngstown. he's a big fish in a little pond there which fuels his arrogance. he needs to realise that he's at the bottom right now and got to make his way back to the top. he's not even half way there with regards to repairing the damage his left on his career. he's got to go back out there and prove that his desire to become champion again is greater than his desire to hit the bottle again. staying in Youngstown to me suggests that Kelly isn't 100% backing himself to do that. he needs to get out of town, become insignificant again and get that hunger back........ without Mr Beam or Mr Daniels

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Shaun Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:35 am

I think we're being a little quick to judge. From what I got out of this article is that the alcohol wasn't the main issue. It was more of Pavlik not being a responsible husband. He's out with his friends all night long drinking/partying when his wife/kids are at home wondering where their husband/daddy are at. It also was affecting his career. Partying/drinking do not go hand in hand with boxing (unless you are Ricardo Mayorga of course).

This seems more of a "grow up" type of thing to me. Alcohol was simply the primary activity.

I could be wrong though. I don't think any of us really know.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down