The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bernard Hopkins now has a 3 fight deal with HBO

+2
Norm1023
Frank
6 posters

Go down

Bernard Hopkins now has a 3 fight deal with HBO Empty Bernard Hopkins now has a 3 fight deal with HBO

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 am

Last year, HBO passed on Bernard Hopkins' December challenge of WBC/IBO light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KOs). The network reportedly had no interest in televising Hopkins (51-5-2, 31 KOs) after carrying his lackluster rematch win over Roy Jones Jr. Because of HBO's decision, Showtime televised what became one of Hopkins' best performances in years. Hopkins fought Pascal to a controversial twelve round draw. Many observers scored the fight for Hopkins and the WBC ordered an immediate rematch.

A few months later, HBO has a new position on Hopkins. The former champion, 46, tells USA Today that Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has worked out a three-fight deal with HBO, with a possible fourth fight in the deal. The first fight of the deal is the May 21 rematch with Pascal, which is likely going to take place in Quebec City.

"Richard Schaefer structured it with HBO for a three-fight deal, with possibly another fight after that," Hopkins said. "My hit list is Pascal first, Chad Dawson, and Lucian Bute. … For me to be in this position to do this at my advancing age will outdo anything I've ever done in my career, and I'd like to thank (the WBC) again for doing the right thing."

Former champion Chad Dawson will appear in the HBO televised co-feature with a guaranteed shot at the main event, so Hopkins can achieve the goal of facing him next. IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute is another story. He recently signed an exclusive contract with Showtime and the first fight of that deal will take place on March 19 against Brian Magee.

http://www.boxingscene.com/hopkins-pascal-rematch-part-three-fight-hbo-deal--35798

In a perfect world we'll get Hopkins vs Pascal, Dawson and Cloud.

Back to top Go down

Bernard Hopkins now has a 3 fight deal with HBO Empty Re: Bernard Hopkins now has a 3 fight deal with HBO

Post  Frank Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:26 am

I would think the only parties that are excited about this deal are "Bernard Hopkins" and "HBO."

Frank

Back to top Go down

Bernard Hopkins now has a 3 fight deal with HBO Empty Re: Bernard Hopkins now has a 3 fight deal with HBO

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am

Frank wrote:I would think the only parties that are excited about this deal are "Bernard Hopkins" and "HBO."

Kinda weird move since Hopkins rarely gives exciting fights or has fans excited about future fights, perhaps HBO are planning to do a mini Light Heavyweight tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 am

Ali wrote:
Frank wrote:I would think the only parties that are excited about this deal are "Bernard Hopkins" and "HBO."

Kinda weird move since Hopkins rarely gives exciting fights or has fans excited about future fights, perhaps HBO are planning to do a mini Light Heavyweight tournament.
Ali, I think it's time we stopped thinking for "HBO." We figure, since they're a multi million dollar enterprise, that means they're smart. They probably just made another poor decision here.

Look at the recent events that have occured at HBO. They lost Manny Pacquiao and signed Bernard Hopkins. They lose the world's most exciting fighter to a relatively boring performer.

What if you were working for a company where you were in charge of accounts. Let's say you lost the "Bank Of America" account and replaced it with a bank entitled, "Bank of dumb shit." Do you think you'd lose your job? Of course. However, with the good ole boy network, they don't really earn these jobs so they have a lack of insight. I have a feeling that if the producers of HBO were to read "Marbles" articles, it would confuse them. lol

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Norm1023 Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 pm

I have no problem with the fights they're proposing for Bernard.

I wish some of the younger guys were so ambitious.
Norm1023
Norm1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Hopefully Hopkins is ktfo in the first fight and the deal becomes void.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:41 pm

+1 Canvas

This is what fucked them up to begin with, guaranteeing future dates for fighters without an opponent....

You dont decide to go a restaurant 3 times before even tasting the food...

Suppose to buy FIGHTS

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:36 pm

yes, they should buy only fights, but if you are going to give a multi fight deal is BHOP the guy you want? It isn't as if fight fans are clamoring to see him. We all got a bit nostalgic when he gave a strong effort (and won on alot of scorecards) against Pascal. But it is rather shortsighted to forget some of the absolute stinkers he has been in over the last half decade.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Ali wrote:

I think. if they match B-Hop with young, active fighters, he'll put on a better show. He needs guys that push him, otherwise, it'll be another snoozefest.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 pm

It's offical. HBO Sports is run by morons.

Way to learn your lesson there HBO. Let's give Hops a 3 fight deal.

What happens if Hops loses to Pascal, which is as likely as Hops winning the rematch. Dawson will then fight the winner.

So what, Hops going to fight Cloud? I doubt it. Hops will bitch he got robbed, and sit it out.

If Hops wins, we get a horrible fight that is Hops vs Dawson. You put these two together, and you can bet it will stink.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:38 am

Some how, I think this report is not totally accurate. I'd like to hear more details from a reliable source.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:03 am

flapanther2001 wrote:
Ali wrote:

I think. if they match B-Hop with young, active fighters, he'll put on a better show. He needs guys that push him, otherwise, it'll be another snoozefest.

Maybe, but if the young fighter is very active Hopkins might resort to his old clinch style because he can't keep up with the pace.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

I did read on twitter that if winners dont fight each other HBO wont buy their next fights

So at least got that in there
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:03 pm

gomez1012 wrote:I did read on twitter that if winners dont fight each other HBO wont buy their next fights

So at least got that in there

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is only a 3 fight deal if Hopkins wins each fight against opponents of HBO's choosing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down