The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again

+5
Gumby
dbudge
Soonermark890
Frank
GrantZilla
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again Empty Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again

Post  GrantZilla Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:52 am

"The athleticism that we possess and what we are born with, most of us, not all of us, but most of us---because I've seen some awkward black guys that can't even tie their shoes. But the blessing of most of us is that we've run the races," Hopkins said.

"Jesse Owens against the Germans. We're known in history. It's in our DNA, most of us. There's no secret we are built differently. There's no secret we have things that other cultures don't have and that they have to work to get. It's nothing that I made up or anything that was printed in a book two days ago. It's called genetics."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34674
Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again Calzaghe2R2004_468x343
"I would never let a white boy beat me"
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again Empty Re: Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again

Post  Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 am

jimmy the greek snyder and others were fired from jobs for saying things of that nature in a far lesser degree...i guess wayne gretsky gordie howe mike phelps willie pep bret farve petton manninmg sergo martinez and tons of other guys dont realize there genetics are inferior as well as there uncordinated...

Back to top Go down

Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again Empty Re: Bernard "The Racist" Hopkins at it again

Post  Frank Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 am

I'll do the unthinkable and quote "Mike Tyson", who said the following after his fight with "Frank Bruno"; "How dare they (The British) challenge me with their primitive skills. They're just as good as dead."

I'll even admit that Tyson is a brilliant boxing historian. The statement Tyson made (whether it was intentional or not) was that it's environment and culture, not race, that determines boxing styles. Either that or he thought Frank Bruno was Caucasian, which I seriously doubt. Also, for those of you who study old boxing films, compare the rhythm in Willie Pep's feet to those of "Randy Turpin" or "Dick Tiger", black people who are from other countries with different cultures that produce different rhythms and movements in their people. If you could somehow color “Willie Pep” Black and make Dick Tiger and Randy Turpin appear Caucasian, Bernard Hopkins would think Willie Pep was a great example of what he was talking about.

That said, what the hell in the world go into "Bruce Lee" and "Manny Pacquiao?"
Laughing

(Just an observation, but I can tell by the way Bernard phrases his words that he's a big fan of "Louis Farrakhan." It's not what he said, but how he said it. It almost sounds like a direct quote. Too bad for Bernard that, regardless of all his accomplishments, he has no real confidence and must hide behind race to present himself.)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:36 am

Whats messed up is he is right about one thing it is genetics. Its just not all black people.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:23 pm

really are you going to take offence by that?? Hopkins is a bigot this is nothing new. i don't see it as a problem either that he is proud of his heritage and fellow ethnic group. Black guys do have leaner muscle matter than white guys, they can jump higher, they can run faster. it's not like he is lying lol. chuck him in a swimming pool and see how he gets on against a "pasty teabag" though Wink

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Frank wrote:I'll do the unthinkable and quote "Mike Tyson", who said the following after his fight with "Frank Bruno"; "How dare they (The British) challenge me with their primitive skills. They're just as good as dead." I'll even admit that Tyson is a brilliant boxing historian. The statement Tyson made (whether it was intentional or not) was that it's environment and culture, not race, that determines boxing styles. Either that or he thought Frank Bruno was Caucasian, which I seriously doubt. Also, for those of you who study old boxing films, compare the rhythm in Willie Pep's feet to those of "Randy Turpin" or "Dick Tiger", black people who are from other countries with different cultures that produce different rhythms and movements in their people. If you could somehow color “Willie Pep” Black and make Dick Tiger and Randy Turpin appear Caucasian, Bernard Hopkins would think Willie Pep was a great example of what he was talking about.

That said, what the hell in the world go into "Bruce Lee" and "Manny Pacquiao?"
Laughing

(Just an observation, but I can tell by the way Bernard phrases his words that he's a big fan of "Louis Farrakhan." It's not what he said, but how he said it. It almost sounds like a direct quote. Too bad for Bernard that, regardless of all his accomplishments, he has no real confidence and must hide behind race to present himself.)

i don't know one British person that would bhave a problem with this being said. i think political correctness has gone mad, i don't understand why it is such a sensitive subject. this is 2011 we live in, yes there are black people that have attributes that white people can only dream of and that works both ways i am pretty sure. at the end of the day go watch the Olympics and try and spot the white man in the 100m sprint, like i said it's not like Hopkins is lying. if there is anybody on here from African descent i'd like them to answer me this question, would you be offended if i said "black guys can't swim as well as us white guys, it's in our genetics because we have a lower bone density. it's no secret, it's called genetics!" ???

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:41 pm

This is nothing new. This is who Bernard Hopkins is. He has a strong belief in himself and his people and that has propelled him to excellence. BHop is someone who came from nothing, was told he was nothing, and found a way to become something great. His blackness helped him become that way so he believes in it. He doesn't have to be right as long as he's right in his own mind. I think part of his rants are to offend others and part of it is what he truly believes.

It's not uncommon for people of any race who come from extremely difficult circumstances and succeed to have found something to attribute their motivation to. It can be religion, science, race, gender, anything. I don't support BHop in the way he goes about things, but I understand where he's coming from and don't mind as much because he uses that to inspire greatness...and because I have a lot of black in me. The guy is a thug and always will be, but he's honest about that.

Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:57 pm

These words do not sound like Bernard's. At best he was reading from a script. Now, we all know what he meant, and truly, other non blacks have been fired, vilified & ostracized for making the same exact comments, but Bernard is not in a position to be punished. He is what he is and in America, where non blacks are scared to death to speak on matters of race, only blacks are allowed to be blatantly racist without repercussion. But hell, I guess if it gets you press......
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Just making an example: Black people do look more muscular, but it doesnt mean theyre stronger. Anthony Peterson looked in a amzing shape against Brandon Rios and Rios ran through him. Then you got a flabby black guy in Monte Barrett getting rid of Tye Fields in the first round. Genetics have nothing to do in boxing. Shit I Know the fastest swimmer in the world isnt black. The fastest man in the world isnt considered African.
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Diego408 wrote:Just making an example: Black people do look more muscular, but it doesnt mean theyre stronger. Anthony Peterson looked in a amzing shape against Brandon Rios and Rios ran through him. Then you got a flabby black guy in Monte Barrett getting rid of Tye Fields in the first round. Genetics have nothing to do in boxing. Shit I Know the fastest swimmer in the world isnt black. The fastest man in the world isnt considered African.

I agree that appearance doesn't equate to strength. Rarely do powerlifters or strength athletes look like bodybuilders. But genetics play a part in boxing. You can be a great boxer without it, but there plenty are guys who have gotten by more on natural talent than skill.

This is getting off topic and goes back to the race/racism discussion back at Ninjas but...

Bernard and other minorities, especially blacks, are able to usually able to get away with saying bigoted things because they represent an oppressed group in our society. People are less likely to attack those opinions because it might open into a larger discussion on "race". In the US and several parts of the world when white people do the same it's more criticized because to take pride in that heritage is to acknowledge past atrocities and current inequalities which gives some people a degree of shame.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm

Wow. Bernard race-baiting again... Sleep
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Hopkins seems to alternate between two modes..

1. Pissing everyone off and being offensive (refusing to fight Dawson/race baiting/crashing Floyd's post fight interview)

2. Wowing the boxing world (Clinic on Pavlik/Coming back from 2 KDs against the lineal champ half his age)

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Groundhog wrote:Hopkins seems to alternate between two modes..

1. Pissing everyone off and being offensive (refusing to fight Dawson/race baiting/crashing Floyd's post fight interview)

2. Wowing the boxing world (Clinic on Pavlik/Coming back from 2 KDs against the lineal champ half his age)
According to Bernard, #2 happened because he is black.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:11 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:

This is exactly what I wanted to say.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:

"There's no secret we have things that other cultures don't have and that they have to work to get."

^What's ironic is that BHOP has worked like crazy to perfect his craft, which is the reason why he can still doing his thing. Compare that to his peer Roy Jones who is loads more "talented" but is now being flattened in one rounders.

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Groundhog wrote:
flapanther2001 wrote:

"There's no secret we have things that other cultures don't have and that they have to work to get."

^What's ironic is that BHOP has worked like crazy to perfect his craft, which is the reason why he can still doing his thing. Compare that to his peer Roy Jones who is loads more "talented" but is now being flattened in one rounders.
Agreed...so therefore his claims of "black dominance in sports has no merit. It boils down to who works harder at his craft. Clearly Bernard has worked harder than most, not because he's black, but because he wanted to excel at his profession. If he would only admit that & get off the racial dominance kick.
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Groundhog Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:25 pm

dbudge wrote:really are you going to take offence by that?? Hopkins is a bigot this is nothing new. i don't see it as a problem either that he is proud of his heritage and fellow ethnic group. Black guys do have leaner muscle matter than white guys, they can jump higher, they can run faster. it's not like he is lying lol. chuck him in a swimming pool and see how he gets on against a "pasty teabag" though Wink

just sayin..

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Groundhog wrote:
dbudge wrote:really are you going to take offence by that?? Hopkins is a bigot this is nothing new. i don't see it as a problem either that he is proud of his heritage and fellow ethnic group. Black guys do have leaner muscle matter than white guys, they can jump higher, they can run faster. it's not like he is lying lol. chuck him in a swimming pool and see how he gets on against a "pasty teabag" though Wink

just sayin..

lol slightly different. anyway i'm as white as they can be, but i can acknowledge that black guys are far more naturally athletically gifted. it is genetics, it is because they have leaner muscle tissue and stronger fast twitch fibre muscles. that's no secret, but like Diego says, it's not the be all and end all when it comes to prizefighting. prizefighting isn't so much what you can dish out but what you can take. it's something natural that comes from within a man regardless of genetics. Really with all the "inferior" white boxers about winning titles, Hopkins is indirectly giving them credit because he is saying that black fighters have a natural advantage. just another dumb Hopkins comment

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:17 pm

dbudge wrote:
Groundhog wrote:

just sayin..

lol slightly different. anyway i'm as white as they can be, but i can acknowledge that black guys are far more naturally athletically gifted. it is genetics, it is because they have leaner muscle tissue and stronger fast twitch fibre muscles. that's no secret, but like Diego says, it's not the be all and end all when it comes to prizefighting. prizefighting isn't so much what you can dish out but what you can take. it's something natural that comes from within a man regardless of genetics. Really with all the "inferior" white boxers about winning titles, Hopkins is indirectly giving them credit because he is saying that black fighters have a natural advantage. just another dumb Hopkins comment

At this point I'm not sure how on topic I am.

First off, Shaq swam surprisingly well. Guy really just is an amazing athlete. As for blacks in general, I think genetics is a part of it, but environment is the bigger factor. And eventually overtime environment determines genetics if we believe in adaptation and evolution and all that.

As far as the US here are some reasons why blacks are better athletes right now. (Latinos are often grouped with blacks and Africans or affluent blacks are not necessarily black until they prove otherwise. These things can apply to a lot of athletes from different countries/ethnicities in general though. Just replace black with ________):
[list][*]Societal pressure: Black kids are taught to believe that they are better at sports and that sports is the only way to become successful. This is further encouraged by the number of successful black athletes and the lack of successful black leaders in other sectors. While they are often discouraged from or not able to pursue other lifestyles, they are encouraged to excel in sports.
[*]Psychological belief: This builds on the above. Black kids actually believe that they are tougher and better athletes and are constantly competing with each other to show that. Similarly, white kids are taught to be afraid of blacks to a degree or accept that they're not as athletic. Muscles look more defined on darker skinned people as well which can add to the intimidation factor.
[*]Environment: Lots of black athletes come from rough areas. Among other things it means they have less supervision. More time for sports, less for school. More competition because everyone's outside playing. More experience because everyone's competing. Also, they just grow up in a more overtly aggressive and viscous culture. Mike Vick's plea for his dog fighting was that he knew it was bad and he shouldn't have done it, but everyone was doing it and it didn't seem bad compared to the other things going on around him. To some people that's absurd and to others that's real. Either way it shows that blacks are often more encouraged and/or have more opportunities to let out their aggression (even if it's in a negative way). That hardened mindset usually helps in sports. Also, the climate can affect athletes. If you grow up in Texas or Florida in a big sports town your pushed into sports at a high level early on, and the climate literally is perfect for you to get the most out of your training.
[*]Genetics: Blacks are black because they come from a warm sunny climate and their bodies adapted. That climate is great for exercise. In the US slavery isolated, bred and trained the best blacks in brutal fashion. Years of hard labor made blacks very physically strong.

There are many exceptions to that list and often the best athletes come from more stable backgrounds that support and nourish their talents. I just think the above contributes to why black athletes are predominant right now in sports.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 pm

what the fuck? really? i'm not intimidated by black men when i'm running against them in a race. i'm just nowhere near as fast! genetics has a lot to do with it. i think what Hopkins is trying to highlight is that ATHLETICALLY people of African descent are more gifted. it's true lol it's all to do with bone density, leaner muscle mass, stronger fast twitch fibre muscles. the majority of the World's strongest men are white. the majority of the World's fastest men are black, i don't think that is because they are born to believe they are better than anybody else because there are competitive individuals across the whole spectrum of the human race! it's no coincidence for me and i don't see why people have a problem saying it like it is

Are Latinos their own race then? or are they not caucasian as well?

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  dbudge Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:39 pm

the one thing i will agree with Gumby as to why black people in the US have flourished in sporting competition perhaps could be from the days of when slaves were first bought over. i know this is a sensitive subject and i my intentions here are not to upset anyone. but my point on it is that the slaves were transported amongst terrible conditions that were atrocious, and a lot fell ill as a result and were abandoned at sea. only the strongest were bought over by the dealers and only the strongest survived. so the strongest breed with the strongest and that is all aprt of genetics and environment like you've said Gumby. but i understand about the gloating comments Hopkins made and what he is trying to get at, which are proven scientific facts

dbudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 pm

dbudge wrote:what the fuck? really? i'm not intimidated by black men when i'm running against them in a race. i'm just nowhere near as fast! genetics has a lot to do with it. i think what Hopkins is trying to highlight is that ATHLETICALLY people of African descent are more gifted. it's true lol it's all to do with bone density, leaner muscle mass, stronger fast twitch fibre muscles. the majority of the World's strongest men are white. the majority of the World's fastest men are black, i don't think that is because they are born to believe they are better than anybody else because there are competitive individuals across the whole spectrum of the human race! it's no coincidence for me and i don't see why people have a problem saying it like it is

Are Latinos their own race then? or are they not caucasian as well?

Yea, I put a lot out there. I'm speaking strictly about the US because I don't know other parts of the world that well. Especially in football and basketball from elementary school on up there's a big sense of "oh shit, that team has a more black guys, they must be good." And it's a huge black pride thing to be good at sports.

I think training has more to do with it than genetics. A lot of it is socialized behavior. You have a lot of blacks who concentrate exclusively on sports and not much else so they're good. When you look at basketball (which is becoming more international), soccer, and boxing which are very international sports, it's not one race dominating. Soccer's the best example I think. Guys from everywhere and who look completely different get it done.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:36 pm

As a coach. Genetics can be everything. Yes hard work can help you greatly but really if you dont have the genes to be an athlete there is nothing you can do about it. I see it every single day. The kid that works three times harder and still cant beat the lazy turd that is just a better athlete.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:49 pm

It's definitly 100% environment. Why are Africans best runners? Because what been doing for hundreds of years. Running hundreds of miles to communicate from one village to another.

Why are whites good swimmers? Lots whites because of their economic environment have pools more available to them then say poor blacks. I read most blacks in the US don't even know how to swim. Because there's not exactly a lot of public pools in poor areas. Poor whites in say the South go swim in lakes or whatever.

Why have blacks been so dominate at basketball? Shit, go to any inner-city, and about hundred basketball courts. Shooting hoops is cheap.

But if notice, more and more European players from poor areas are coming into NBA.

Look at baseball. More Latins from poor countries coming into baseball.

Same goes for boxing. Boxing originaly made up of poor white immigrants and blacks. Irish and Italian immigrants were discriminated against, especialy when came to jobs. So they had to take high risk jobs. Why most cops and fireman were Irish. Same with dangerious constriction work. Mostly Irish labors. And of course boxing.

After the Depression, when white immigrants status elivated, drop off of White Americans came. Now become same with blacks in US. Because their economic status gone up, they're moving into easier sports. No shocker that Latins, Asians, and East Euros from poor countries taken over.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:As a coach. Genetics can be everything. Yes hard work can help you greatly but really if you dont have the genes to be an athlete there is nothing you can do about it. I see it every single day. The kid that works three times harder and still cant beat the lazy turd that is just a better athlete.

But you get them in high school. I started playing when I was 3. Even if I stopped playing sports by middle school, I could've been walked into high school and been a good athlete because I started at such a young age and always had people pushing me.

I know a kid whose a real good hockey player. His dad used to make him carry rocks and run mountains and everyone thought it was insane. He'll likely be going to the NHL soon. He's a good athlete because he's always dedicated himself to it.

Especially because most sports have a lot more too them than how fast, or strong you are. Even track and powerlifting for example have a lot of technique and skill involved.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next