The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOXINGS HUGE UPSETS

2 posters

Go down

BOXINGS HUGE UPSETS Empty BOXINGS HUGE UPSETS

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:09 pm

ali was a mear 7-1 underdog against liston..compared with walcott who was a 6-1 underdog against charles.max schmeling a 10-1 underdog against joe louis..i forget what robinson was over turpin but 6-1 for sure.max baer was over 10-1 over braddock..tyson 42-1 over douglas and lewis 20-1 over rahman..i would think corbett was a good size underdog against john l..these fights are amoung some that prove anything can happen in the ring.playing monday morning quaterback some of those big upsets maybe should of not been a suprize.ali over liston wasnt for me and jersey joe over charles to me also..are there any big upsets in store for us today that years from now we can say it should of not been that big of a upset..are there any shockers like louis and max or braddock over baer in store for us..what do you think..any posible predictions..could haye do it to wlad..or is it a upset just to get him in the ring..margo-pac ..what are the odds there..i dont know..

Back to top Go down

BOXINGS HUGE UPSETS Empty Re: BOXINGS HUGE UPSETS

Post  Tobe Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

One of the things that makes boxing a great sport to me. In the immortal words of Lou Duva: "You can sum this sport up in two words: 'You never know'"
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Frankie Randall beating Julio Cesar Chavez was a shocker.

If anybody we now know of were to defeat Wlad in the next two years it would certainly be a shocker.

I think Margarito is a 6-1 dog against Manny right now yet I think he has a chance to win.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:23 pm

yep true tobe..if theres 5 minutes left in a football game and the score is 55-7 its over..in boxing like yogi berra said its not over till its over..ask john tate or jake lamotta way behind in defence of his title pulls a ko off with 15 or so seconds left..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:25 pm

6-1 the price is right on margo.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:30 pm

dmar5143 wrote:yep true tobe..if theres 5 minutes left in a football game and the score is 55-7 its over..in boxing like yogi berra said its not over till its over..ask john tate or jake lamotta way behind in defence of his title pulls a ko off with 15 or so seconds left..

That effort against Dauthuille is one of the supreme "No you can't have my title" efforts I can recall seeing. Just hammered away to the body until the Frenchmen could no longer stand.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:34 pm

dmar5143 wrote:yep true tobe..if theres 5 minutes left in a football game and the score is 55-7 its over..in boxing like yogi berra said its not over till its over..ask john tate or jake lamotta way behind in defence of his title pulls a ko off with 15 or so seconds left..

Absolutley; you can never discount the potential for a "bolt from the blue" that changes the game in even the most lopsided fight; which brings such great drama to every single fight. No other sport like it!
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:37 pm

yep no time outs.no one relieves you.no gaureteed limit like 60 minutes and 4 quarters or in basketball no 48 minutes or 4 quarters...ending at any time is a great reality and a shock sometimes..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 pm

dmar5143 wrote:6-1 the price is right on margo.

Really? I think Margo has more like a 30-40 percent chance to win. More like 2.5-3 to 1.

But I'm not a gambler, so what do I know.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:43 pm

i agree with 3-1 and a range of 30-40 percent chance of winning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:09 am

Baer-Braddock?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:58 am

yep winston baer-braddock was a huge one but i mentioned that one.if wlad is beaton next month it will be one at least of this proportion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:01 am

Good post, dmar.

From what I see, most of the major upsets mentioned are against big punchers. Just curious. Does anyone recall a major upset against a scientific fighter in his prime? (Rocky movies don't count. - smile)

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:07 am

frank a walcott-charles may aplly..charles was both.a good puncher and a scientific boxer..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 am

frank tony canzanerri was involved in a few in his prime in the mid 30s around 1934-35 if i remember correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks for pointing that out, dmar. I think we can both note that it's much harder to upset a scientific boxer than a bone breaking slugger. From what I've seen, boxing is a self defense technique made to take on stronger men. The boxer has an immense advantage if he lacks fear and knows what he's doing. Just my take.

Can an ordinary boxer beat a great power puncher? Maybe. Vilomar Fernandez may've proved that against one of my favorite fighters, Alexis Arguello.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 am

frank good example..maybe a better one is jimmy young beat ernie shavers...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:06 am

dmar5143 wrote:yep winston baer-braddock was a huge one but i mentioned that one.if wlad is beaton next month it will be one at least of this proportion.

Sorry about that dmar,it was late at night when I posted that.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down