The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy.

+3
bird
Soonermark890
Groundhog
7 posters

Go down

WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy. Empty WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy.

Post  Groundhog Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:06 pm

http://insidefights.com/2010/12/19/altered-scorecards-throw-bernard-hopkins-jean-pascal-decision-into-doubt/

"Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix is reporting that controvesry has engulfed the scoring of the Bernard Hopkins vs. Jean Pascal fight, with the Canadian judge’s scorecard having an altered eighth round score and the Belgain judge’s scorecard having an altered first round scorecard. Both scorecards show evidence of whiteout being used to change the score originally written down. On his twitter Mannix wrote “From what it looks–repeat, looks–like the changes cost Hopkins. But we don’t know the source of the whiteout yet. Officials investigating”. Mannix had earlier claimed that it looked like the original scorecards would have made Hopkins the split decision victory.

This comes after the initial controvesry over the scoring, with many having the fight for Bernard Hopkins 114-112. Mannix reports that at the post fight press conference Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said that they would look into overturning the result legally but did not believe that there had been any corruption in terms of totalling up the scores. Schaefer also said that the WBC plans to order an immediate rematch between Hopkins and Pascal."

I remember someone posted the pics of the 3 scorecards but I don't remember in what thread it was or who posted it. Whoever posted it kindly post it here as well. If this is true then it's def a seriously topic that deserves its own thread.

(edit) nevermind, that was the master scoresheet, not the individual ones.

Last edited by Groundhog on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : see note)

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy. Empty Re: WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy.

Post  Groundhog Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:08 pm

it was Grant who posted the pic. interesting enough, one judge gave the 1st round a 10-9.

odd, it looks like the judge originally had it 10-8 in Pascal's favor. But that would mean the alteration in that case was in Hopkins' favor! weird

(edit) nevermind, this is the master scoresheet, not the individual ones.

WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy. Pas-bhop_scorecard

Last edited by Groundhog on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : see note)

Groundhog

Back to top Go down

WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy. Empty Re: WHITE OUT USED?! Pascal/Hopkins Controversy.

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:29 am

Groundhog wrote:it was Grant who posted the pic. interesting enough, one judge gave the 1st round a 10-9.

odd, it looks like the judge originally had it 10-8 in Pascal's favor. But that would mean the alteration in that case was in Hopkins' favor! weird

10-10 round on one of the scorecard in the 10th round? Wasnt that a big BHOP round?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bird Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:34 am

Pascal had a big flurry at the end of that round and it sucks that it cost BHop the fight

bird

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 am

Scorecards were fine. White out was only used for the copies sent to the press. There were mistakes when originals were transcribed over to the copies for the press, so white out was used.

The scorecards matched up with individual cards given after each round. GB looked them all over and said the cards checked out fine

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33996
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:46 am

This nonsense has to stop. There is no controversy. There was no hometown robbery. The two judges scoring a draw were no more controversial than the American judging scoring for Hopkins. They were all valid acceptable scores. Any of those rounds scored differently and the fight could have justifiably gone to Pascal.

This was not Alexander vs Kotelnik.

Shaw and Schaefer look like poor sport sleaze bags.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:46 am

This nonsense has to stop. There is no controversy. There was no hometown robbery. The two judges scoring a draw were no more controversial than the American judging scoring for Hopkins. They were all valid acceptable scores. Any of those rounds scored differently and the fight could have justifiably gone to Pascal.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:47 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
Groundhog wrote:it was Grant who posted the pic. interesting enough, one judge gave the 1st round a 10-9.

10-10 round on one of the scorecard in the 10th round? Wasnt that a big BHOP round?
i actually noticed that too. i remember specifically thinking that hop easily won round 10.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 am

Canvas wrote:This nonsense has to stop. There is no controversy. There was no hometown robbery. The two judges scoring a draw were no more controversial than the American judging scoring for Hopkins. They were all valid acceptable scores. Any of those rounds scored differently and the fight could have justifiably gone to Pascal.

I agree I just find the 10th round odd on one of the judges scorecards.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 am

I intitaly scored rd 10 a 10-10 draw, but scratched it out and scored it for Hopkins. There are several rounds on the judges scorecards I find peculiar scored one way or another. There always is.

I certianly don't remember it as being a big Hopkins round, but that is a matter of perspective I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:54 am

Canvas wrote:I intitaly scored rd 10 a 10-10 draw, but scratched it out and scored it for Hopkins. There are several rounds on the judges scorecards I find peculiar scored one way or another. There always is.
ESP if old dirtbag Roth is one of the judges.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:59 am

If there was half this much outrage for any of the Martinez robberies, or Delahoya/Sturm, or Bradley/Kotelnik then this reaction wouldn't be as offensive to me. But the vitriol being spewed towards Canada by self-serving, sleazy promoters, Hopkins, and a vocal minority of fans is a bit much.

Especially for a perfectly legitimate decision.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:03 am

Canvas wrote:If there was half this much outrage for any of the Martinez robberies, or Delahoya/Sturm, or Bradley/Kotelnik then this reaction wouldn't be as offensive to me. But the vitriol being spewed towards Canada by self-serving, sleazy promoters, Hopkins, and a vocal minority of fans is a bit much.

That happens in every close fight I think. Esp when the hometown boy get the decision or in this case retains the title.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:40 pm

The thing we all have to remember is watching a fight on TV, from above, from inconsistent angles, while listening to announcers is FUNDAMENTALLY different from watching a fight from ringside, from a single fixed point, from below, without announcers and with the crowd screaming.

In many ways it is shocking we agree with judges as often as we do.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:45 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:The thing we all have to remember is watching a fight on TV, from above, from inconsistent angles, while listening to announcers is FUNDAMENTALLY different from watching a fight from ringside, from a single fixed point, from below, without announcers and with the crowd screaming.

A judge also doesn't get fifty replays and a DVR to rewind and watch something. On the other hand judges aren't drinking and eating while watching either.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:47 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:The thing we all have to remember is watching a fight on TV, from above, from inconsistent angles, while listening to announcers is FUNDAMENTALLY different from watching a fight from ringside, from a single fixed point, from below, without announcers and with the crowd screaming.

A judge also doesn't get fifty replays and a DVR to rewind and watch something. On the other hand judges aren't drinking and eating while watching either.

See I think replays DISTORT what we're seeing. The broadcast team is deciding for us what is important. I like replay, but I make sure I score a round immediately so my mind isn't swayed by selective replay.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:52 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:

lol. True. I agree the perspective is different from where the judges sit and what we see on TV. I have never agreed with the sentiment of some that live is better than TV for seeing the real action.

I would submit the HD picture on my Big Screen plasma TV, with the benefit of replays and different angles, gives the most accurate view of the fight.

I must disclose, I watched the Pascal fight on an internet stream (a good clear one)

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Canvas wrote:If there was half this much outrage for any of the Martinez robberies, or Delahoya/Sturm, or Bradley/Kotelnik then this reaction wouldn't be as offensive to me. But the vitriol being spewed towards Canada by self-serving, sleazy promoters, Hopkins, and a vocal minority of fans is a bit much.

See, I think there was just as much outrage on those decisions. Devon got moved down in rankings and is given virtually no chance in his next fight because of that fight. I think you feel there is more outrage because you are siding with the minority and feel some of the heat from the majority crying foul.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:54 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:See I think replays DISTORT what we're seeing. The broadcast team is deciding for us what is important. I like replay, but I make sure I score a round immediately so my mind isn't swayed by selective replay.

Very important point. I do the same.

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:59 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:

See I think replays DISTORT what we're seeing. The broadcast team is deciding for us what is important. I like replay, but I make sure I score a round immediately so my mind isn't swayed by selective replay.

That's the best way to score like a judge. My point was fans and such call robbery or what have you and criticize a judge because we HAVE the availability to see a replay and a variant of angles. Replay does distort our view and opinion.

hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down