The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my thoughts on this weekends fights

+6
kbyte
Soonermark890
dmar5143
EnragedSlayer
captainanddew
powerpuncher
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

my thoughts on this weekends fights Empty my thoughts on this weekends fights

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:06 am

gamboa looked about normal. im never sure if he is just trying to go 12 rounds to keep sharp or if he really cant KO his opponents sometimes.

i have no idea what dawson was doing in his fight. right from the start i was wondering why he was fighting aggressively. he has a bad chin and was fighting a puncher who he was superior to. dawson should have at least jabbed for the first few rounds then if he wanted to make it exciting, he could have gone for the KO.

lara vs angulo was a great fight. crazy stoppage. angulo must have been in major pain to turn his back like that. i have a ton of respect for him for not giving up throughout the fight even though he was getting beat and taking some good shots. i gained some respect for lara too for getting up from those KD's and not letting them phase him. great fight though. way better than expected.

maidana vs lopez went how i expected other than i was surprised that lopez actually really hurt maidana in the fight. maidana just hits harder and has a better chin. lopez is tough but i feel like maidana is slowly improving. he still has some major flaws but i think that he is a lot better than he was a few years back when he fought ortiz and khan.

the showtime card was awesome! 2 great fights.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

my thoughts on this weekends fights Empty Re: my thoughts on this weekends fights

Post  captainanddew Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:43 am

lopez moved up from 140 because of the money, not because of the weight. He would be best served to rebuild at that weight.

Maidana vs Matthyse would be amazing fun.

Lara and Angulo both left a part of themselves in that ring. Great fight. I'd love to see Showtime pay them both well for a rematch.

Dawson was not fighting overly aggressive or reckless. He does get hit. It just happens that Stevenson has very heavy hands.

Gamboa is not a future star. I said that on twitter and 20 mins later Lampley says the exact same thing. As he moves up in weight he is less and less effective.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

my thoughts on this weekends fights Empty Re: my thoughts on this weekends fights

Post  captainanddew Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 am

the big thing that Maidana has improved is his balance & position. After he throws a punch he is in much better position. He used to be all over the damn place. Losing his balance after most of the punches he threw.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:31 am

Lopez hurt Maidana to the body. He had to get to the body again, but didn't.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  EnragedSlayer Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:55 am

Very entertaining fights this weekend. Not sure if Gamboa will ever do much at 135, I think I would rather see him drop back down if he can and fight Mares, Donaire, or Rigo. The Dawson just got caught by a big puncher. That KO was pretty awesome. Lara vs Angulo was fun. Angulo cut off the ring well and worked the body and both showed a lot of heart. Angulo face was looking like Rahman forehead vs holyfield. Both those guys deserved to get paid as Captain said. And Maidana vs Lopez could be up there with one of the most entertaining fights this year so far. I would pay to watch Maidana vs Matthyse for however long it lasted.
EnragedSlayer
EnragedSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am

captain I agree on all you said.im glad dawson got koed by the way.a rematch of angulo and lara is a natural and maybe a must..maidana as you said has improved on some things...let LM fight Garcia and stay a bit at 140.gamboa blew his chances of possible stardom with his inactivity because he jerked arum around in spending a year to get out of his contract.gone is the fantastic handspeed maybe desire also.
forget LM and maidana ..lets see broner vs maidana.all the natural talent in the word broner has but lets stop protecting him.paulie should be no threat ..he gets a mickey mouse welter title then why not maidana..let him fight a legit dangerous threat..no more candy ass opposition...al haymon did his thing.hes making a gutsy fighter in lopez good money.premature stoppage by the way.lopez can be a good gatekeeper at 140 and make some good money for 2 or 3 fights.at 147 he will continue to take a few beatings.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:29 pm

Great fights.
Maidana is the comeback king. That kid has taken some beatings in some fights and still pulled out some KO's. Lopez, Soto karass, and Ortiz all had him hurt pretty bad.

Angulo is tough as nails. It sucks that's the way the fight ended. Lara is really good. I love the fact he isn't afraid to brawl.

Dawson LMFAO. I have been saying he is a fake tough guy for years I just love when he gets KO'd.

Gamboa is boring. I have no interest in watching him anymore. How many times can we watch him not go after any KO's? He is no star in the making.

Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:33 pm

dmar5143 wrote:captain I agree on all you said.im glad dawson got koed by the way.a rematch of angulo and lara is a natural and maybe a must..maidana as you said has improved on some things...let LM fight Garcia and stay a bit at 140.gamboa blew his chances of possible stardom with his inactivity because he jerked arum around in spending a year to get out of his contract.gone is the fantastic handspeed maybe desire also.
forget LM and maidana ..lets see broner vs maidana.all the natural talent in the word broner has but lets stop protecting him.paulie should be no threat ..he gets a mickey mouse welter title then why not maidana..let him fight a legit dangerous threat..no more candy ass opposition...al haymon did his thing.hes making a gutsy fighter in lopez good money.premature stoppage by the way.lopez can be a good gatekeeper at 140 and make some good money for 2 or 3 fights.at 147 he will continue to take a few beatings.

I might die of happiness if Maidana and Broner fight and Chino knocks him the fuck out.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:Great fights.
Maidana is the comeback king. That kid has taken some beatings in some fights and still pulled out some KO's. Lopez, Soto karass, and Ortiz all had him hurt pretty bad.

Angulo is tough as nails. It sucks that's the way the fight ended. Lara is really good. I love the fact he isn't afraid to brawl.

Dawson LMFAO. I have been saying he is a fake tough guy for years I just love when he gets KO'd.

Gamboa is boring. I have no interest in watching him anymore. How many times can we watch him not go after any KO's? He is no star in the making.

I don't really recall whether Soto Karass hurt maidana to the head or to the body. But if my memory isn't going, Ortiz, Kahn (definitely did), and Lopez all got him with bodyshots.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:02 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:Great fights.

I don't really recall whether Soto Karass hurt maidana to the head or to the body. But if my memory isn't going, Ortiz, Kahn (definitely did), and Lopez all got him with bodyshots.
yeah i don't remember either. Also i don't remember a guy who has come back this many times. Dmar pp bl cap frank. You guys would know. Any idea of someone in recent history who has
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:03 pm

kbyte wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:captain I agree on all you said.im glad dawson got koed by the way.a rematch of angulo and lara is a natural and maybe a must..maidana as you said has improved on some things...let LM fight Garcia and stay a bit at 140.gamboa blew his chances of possible stardom with his inactivity because he jerked arum around in spending a year to get out of his contract.gone is the fantastic handspeed maybe desire also.

I might die of happiness if Maidana and Broner fight and Chino knocks him the fuck out.
broner vs maidana would be nasty
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:41 pm

a fighter with pretty good recuperative powers is Juan Manuel Marquez.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 pm

when I was watching the fight and Maidana was hurt by some body shots you could see him lower his right arm to guard against the left hook to the body. Lopez landed some decent headshots after that but isn't a big enough puncher.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 pm

for everyone who mentioned a maidana vs broner match, de la hoya said on his twitter that the winner of broner-paulie will fight maidana. if that is true, that would be great. i would give broner a ton of respect for taking a dangerous fight like that.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 pm

captainanddew wrote:lopez moved up from 140 because of the money, not because of the weight. He would be best served to rebuild at that weight.

Maidana vs Matthyse would be amazing fun.

Lara and Angulo both left a part of themselves in that ring. Great fight. I'd love to see Showtime pay them both well for a rematch.

Dawson was not fighting overly aggressive or reckless. He does get hit. It just happens that Stevenson has very heavy hands.

Gamboa is not a future star. I said that on twitter and 20 mins later Lampley says the exact same thing. As he moves up in weight he is less and less effective.
dont get me wrong, i understand that dawson has a weak chin, but i have never seen dawson come out throwing that many punches and not staying on the outside at the beginning of a fight. he didnt stay on the outside. he was in the position to get hit the whole minute and a half it lasted.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:39 pm

fat dan is at it again. What a moron.

"On paper, this was the ultimate clash of styles between the southpaw Lara's technical boxing skills and quickness, and Angulo's pure brawling and aggressiveness. The question was, would Angulo be able to apply enough pressure to force Lara into a firefight? He was, and that meant we got ourselves one heckuva fight -- although one that ended in rather shocking fashion, with Angulo turning his back and quitting in a scene reminiscent of Robert Duran's famed "no mas" against Sugar Ray Leonard in their rematch."

what a fucking moron. Angulo didn't just decide he had enough of trying to catch Ray Leonard. His fucking eye blew up. It wasn't one of those gradual things either. Lebedev's eye was horrific a few weeks ago (and Kostya Tszyu should have stopped it), but it didn't seem to blow up immediately. Lara landed a right and then a couple of lefts and Angulo's eye blew up. He didn't quit.

Fat dan also had to use the word quit. What a damn loser. Everyone that goes in the ring is putting their health at risk. I'm not a big fan of Angulo, but he seems pretty tough to me. If his eye blew up and he knew he was very hurt in a way that he couldn't continue, I'm not going to stick my couch potato self into his place and say he "quit" and should have continued.

There are guys who come out for a fight, go down from a shot that wasn't that big (after a couple of rounds), and refuse to get up. Guys that obviously could continue, haven't taken a lot of punishment, and choose to just waive the white flag. That is quitting. Even then I don't say too much about it.

What an asshole.

captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Fat dan is a douche
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 pm

powerpuncher wrote:for everyone who mentioned a maidana vs broner match, de la hoya said on his twitter that the winner of broner-paulie will fight maidana. if that is true, that would be great. i would give broner a ton of respect for taking a dangerous fight like that.
Sweet. I am picking Maidana by dramatic KO after getting knocked down 3 times early. Very Happy
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Seems like Gamboa doesn't have the power at 135 like he did at the lower weight classes & he's very cautious about getting tagged. Maidana definitely showed improvement, but yeah. he gets hurt to the body (Khan floored him with a body shot). Dawson is done, he has no fire left in him. Lara & Angulo was terrific!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 am

Soonermark890 wrote:
powerpuncher wrote:for everyone who mentioned a maidana vs broner match, de la hoya said on his twitter that the winner of broner-paulie will fight maidana. if that is true, that would be great. i would give broner a ton of respect for taking a dangerous fight like that.
Sweet. I am picking Maidana by dramatic KO after getting knocked down 3 times early. Very Happy
that fight would all depend on how broner could handle the pressure. broner could easily land punches but what would happen when maidana catches him a few times? i would be super excited if that fight ever happened.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  NJBeatdown86 Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am

I was totally shitfaced so my memory of the fights are a little fuzzy, but Lara-Angulo was a FOTY candidate. Fuck the fat man for comparing this to No Mas.

Maidana-Lopez was great as well, I'd like to see Lopez go bck down to 140 and take on Matthysse and Garcia.

We can wave good by Dawson after this one. I'd love to see Kovalev take on Stevenson next and have that human trafficking scum become his second fatality.
NJBeatdown86
NJBeatdown86

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:09 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Seems like Gamboa doesn't have the power at 135 like he did at the lower weight classes & he's very cautious about getting tagged. Maidana definitely showed improvement, but yeah. he gets hurt to the body (Khan floored him with a body shot). Dawson is done, he has no fire left in him. Lara & Angulo was terrific!!!

Chad looked like he wanted to cry. I felt really bad for him. It was a humiliating loss and whats even worse is that it came at the hands of a piece of shit like Stevenson who danced around like an idiot afterwards.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  EnragedSlayer Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Yeah, I really disliked how Stevenson acted after the fight, I mean celebrating is all well and good but act like you've been there before.

Also, I think I would have to take Maidana if he fights Broner just cause the guy doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. Broner has all the tools to be champ but fighting Maidana will show if he has the heart.
EnragedSlayer
EnragedSlayer

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:27 am

EnragedSlayer wrote:Yeah, I really disliked how Stevenson acted after the fight, I mean celebrating is all well and good but act like you've been there before.

Also, I think I would have to take Maidana if he fights Broner just cause the guy doesn't know the meaning of the word quit. Broner has all the tools to be champ but fighting Maidana will show if he has the heart.

i think it all depends on how adrian carries the extra weight.  if he can handle it well, i think he absolutely dominates maidana for a signature win early in his career.  his skillset is head and shoulders above that of maidana, i mean the kid is lightning fast and has pretty good pop (albeit at the lower weights, we'll see if he carries it) i think broner would smack him around all night long and frustrate the hell out of maidana.  maidana may not quit but if khan went the distance with him i have no reason to believe broner wouldnt. khan has the weakest chin in the world possibly, ive seen female fighters that could put him down lol i think maidanas only shot vs broner would be by KO because A. broners been annointed already and youd have to dominate to beat him ont he cards, and B. maidana isnt skilled enough to take a majority of the rounds off broner unless he can KD him a couple times.  broner UD

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxingGenius Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:30 am

BoxingGenius wrote:
EnragedSlayer wrote:Yeah, I really disliked how Stevenson acted after the fight, I mean celebrating is all well and good but act like you've been there before.

i think it all depends on how adrian carries the extra weight.  if he can handle it well, i think he absolutely dominates maidana for a signature win early in his career.  his skillset is head and shoulders above that of maidana, i mean the kid is lightning fast and has pretty good pop (albeit at the lower weights, we'll see if he carries it) i think broner would smack him around all night long and frustrate the hell out of maidana.  maidana may not quit but if khan went the distance with him i have no reason to believe broner wouldnt. khan has the weakest chin in the world possibly, ive seen female fighters that could put him down lol i think maidanas only shot vs broner would be by KO because A. broners been annointed already and youd have to dominate to beat him ont he cards, and B. maidana isnt skilled enough to take a majority of the rounds off broner unless he can KD him a couple times.  broner UD

i like adrians fight game a lot, hes a bit of a circus act, but the kid is the goods.  he does just about everything well in the ring.  composure is flawless, ring generalship is great so far, can stick and move very well, and he goes for the kill every night.  gotta love guys like that.

BoxingGenius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next