The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my thoughts on garcia

5 posters

Go down

my thoughts on garcia Empty my thoughts on garcia

Post  powerpuncher Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 am

the zab fight solidified my thoughts on what i already thought about garcia. as al bernstein said, he is good at everything but not great at anything. this will make most of his fights competitive. he doesnt have the style or specialty in the ring to look dominant. because he is very well rounded, he will give most anybody trouble, but he will have a few losses in his career just because some of his opponents will come in very game (just like judah did) and just win the fight.

i still think its a toss up if he fights matthysse. he has a solid chin so he can take some punches but we saw in the zab fight that its not granite. he is a good counter puncher and he mixes up his punches well so i think that might give matthysse problems. i also think that if peterson beats matthysse that peterson will also give him some problems. again, i think that garcia just has the style and skill set that it will be hard for him to truly be dominant over anybody at his skill level, but at the same time will probably never just get beat badly either.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

my thoughts on garcia Empty Re: my thoughts on garcia

Post  Shaun Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 am

powerpuncher wrote:the zab fight solidified my thoughts on what i already thought about garcia. as al bernstein said, he is good at everything but not great at anything. this will make most of his fights competitive. he doesnt have the style or specialty in the ring to look dominant. because he is very well rounded, he will give most anybody trouble, but he will have a few losses in his career just because some of his opponents will come in very game (just like judah did) and just win the fight.

i still think its a toss up if he fights matthysse. he has a solid chin so he can take some punches but we saw in the zab fight that its not granite. he is a good counter puncher and he mixes up his punches well so i think that might give matthysse problems. i also think that if peterson beats matthysse that peterson will also give him some problems. again, i think that garcia just has the style and skill set that it will be hard for him to truly be dominant over anybody at his skill level, but at the same time will probably never just get beat badly either.

I think Garcia is a GREAT puncher. He hurts every opponent he hits.

.. and btw, props to Zab. I used to always question his heart (rightfully so), but tonight he showed me something different. What a great fight.
Shaun
Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:06 am

i wouldnt at all say a great puncher. his KO percentage is a little better than average and he hurts people with weaker chins. i mean lets be honest, he has gotten popular in his last couple of fights after beating morales twice, khan, and zab. 2 of those 3 are proven weak chins and 1 of them is washed up and way above his normal weight class. he has a good punch but nowhere near great otherwise zab wouldnt have lasted that fight with some of those shots that garcia landed.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:12 am

my 2 cents.the word great lately has been tossed around here a lot lately as a vast overstatement.garcia is far from a great puncher.hes a good fighter with a respectable punch..LM id say is a great maybe or close to a great puncher.hes the hardest puncher in the division.the Russian who fought Bradley is next as a hard puncher.keep in mind Garcia and LM for example fight night weigh as much as rocky graziano did for most of his career.rocky was a great puncher.garcia is miles away from rocky.
the division has several good hard punchers.kahn rios Alvarado maidana etc etc.all can be dangerous at times but again great punchers.nope.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:22 am

dmar5143 wrote:my 2 cents.the word great lately has been tossed around here a lot lately as a vast overstatement.garcia is far from a great puncher.hes a good fighter with a respectable punch..LM id say is a great maybe or close to a great puncher.hes the hardest puncher in the division.the Russian who fought Bradley is next as a hard puncher.keep in mind Garcia and LM for example fight night weigh as much as rocky graziano did for most of his career.rocky was a great puncher.garcia is miles away from rocky.
the division has several good hard punchers.kahn rios Alvarado maidana etc etc.all can be dangerous at times but again great punchers.nope.

Agreed. Garcia is not a great puncher. He's a good puncher. His power is also good enough to keep top guys honest. He does however have great timing. His flaws are his greatest strength, meaning that the recent top opponents he's faced have gotten ambitious in trying to exploit his flaws, this has left them vulnerable for Garcia's well timed counters.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:31 am

Matthyse is a great puncher. He's dropped all but 1 guy he has faced. Garcia is a good puncher, but not on the same level.

As for LM vs Garcia, I favor the Machine (LM).

That being said, Lamont Peterson may very well beat LM. Peterson is tough as hell.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down