The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Rd 1)

+3
powerpuncher
dmar5143
freakzilla
7 posters

Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Rd 1) Empty The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Rd 1)

Post  freakzilla Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Just vote for who you think would win each fight if both fighters were at their peak in a 12 round fight.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson vs Barney Ross
2. Henry Armstrong vs Mickey Walker
3. Sugar Ray Leonard vs Emile Griffith
4. Joe Walcott vs Jimmy McLarnin
5. Kid Gavilan vs Jose Naples
6. Tommy Hearns vs Felix Trinidad
7. Manny Pacquiao vs Luis Rodriguez
8. Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Charley Burley
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Rd 1) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Rd 1)

Post  freakzilla Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 pm

freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Rd 1) Empty Re: The Boxing Palace's Greatest Ever Welterweight Tournament (Rd 1)

Post  dmar5143 Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:36 am

just a few questions.whats burley doing there.his greatness was established at middle where he fought 70 percent of his career not at welter where he started out.as great as pac is as a fighter whats he done at welter.beat a washed up older guy in mosley a mediocre guy in clottey fought a drained catch weight fight with cotto and 2 guys that moved up in weight to fight him.surely hes done nothing over a basilio or a non champ called billy graham to compare with there careers at welter..then why not consider sweat pea or duran if thats the case.no disrespect intended but ill sit this one out.there have been several guys that threw the years that fought better competion in numbers then pac at welter.and made a career at that weight..
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 am

there have always been people on the list that i would have switched but i vote anyways just to do it. one thing i will agree with dmar on is that burley wasnt a welter.

robinson- ross was a good fighter for sure but just got a bad draw.
walker-armstrong is one of the best fighters ever, but welterweight wasnt his best weight IMO and walker has been hit by HWs. think that he would hold his own and win a tough fight.
leonard-leonard is just too fast and i think that he outboxes him clearly.
mclarnin-walcott is strong as an ox but is too short. i think that mclarnin stays on the outside and boxes to a decision.
gavilan-too many advantages
hearns-although i think hearns is a way better fighter, i could see this fight going either way. tito has a problem when a fighter stands back and uses their jab which is exactly what i think that hearns does in this fight because tito can easily get him out of there if hearns decides to mix it up.
pac-only because i really know nothing about rodriguez.
mayweather-mainly because i dont consider burley a welter and its unfair for him to be fighting smaller guys. or if he is fighting welter then its at the beginning of his career and he isnt experienced enough to win.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  kbyte Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:43 am

I wish you had paired Pacquiao up with Trinidad. I'd be really interested to see what people think of that matchup.
kbyte
kbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am

Where is Pernell Whitaker?!?!?!??!?

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:01 am

boxinglawyer wrote:Where is Pernell Whitaker?!?!?!??!?
Where is Pernell?

For that matter, how do we honestly match Charlie Burley against anyone? There's only one film of his fights and that's his fight against Billy Smith from Oakland? I could be wrong, but I think that's it.

Ok, let's cut the bullshit. There are no films of Charlie Burley. However, the stories talked about him are worth a million films. Archie Moore says that this natural WW came up to the LH division and beat the shit out of him in his prime. Moore states Burley was the greatest fighter he ever saw. Eddie Futch echoes his sentiments.

So now what? Ray Robinson said that he was too pretty to fight Charlie Burley. Translation: I don't want to get the living shit beat out of me, so I won't fight Burley.

Who the fuck was this guy and how good was he?? We don't know because we can't see him but I will insist that the following is true. If he's as good as everyone said he was, stop the tourney right now and call him the best WW ever. Nobody ever pulled off feats like Charlie Burley. IF you think Burley stories are bullshit, pull him out of the tournament. I don't see how another choice is possible. However, I never heard any HOF fighters or trainers compliment any fighter the way they talk about Burley.

I honestly don't know what else to say concerning this fighter.

Last edited by Frank on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:04 am

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:38 am

frank on burley you can say what i said.he dont belong at all since his greatness was established at middle not welter.he started out as a welter but did nothing to eastablish anything remote to being in this tourney.he developed as a fighter learning his craft.as a middle he indeed belongs.to take burley at that stage of his career at welter in the developing learning stage with inexperience and to toss him in with established greats is a disaster.to say a tourney is fighters at there best then he dont belong.his best started at middle not welter.he went from infancy
as a welter to a develped prime as a middle...
no doubt sweet pea has to be strongly considered in a few classes.like perhaps armstrong he could fit in at 2 classes so could ross.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:48 pm

dmar5143 wrote:frank on burley you can say what i said.he dont belong at all since his greatness was established at middle not welter.he started out as a welter but did nothing to eastablish anything remote to being in this tourney.he developed as a fighter learning his craft.as a middle he indeed belongs.to take burley at that stage of his career at welter in the developing learning stage with inexperience and to toss him in with established greats is a disaster.to say a tourney is fighters at there best then he dont belong.his best started at middle not welter.he went from infancy
no doubt sweet pea has to be strongly considered in a few classes.like perhaps armstrong he could fit in at 2 classes so could ross.
Quesiton Dmar. How much did Burley weigh when he destroyed Archie Moore? I always found that to be amazing to say the least. Not to mention a cocky fighter like Moore admitting that not only did he get beat, but praising Burley as the greatest fighter he ever saw.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Frank wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:frank on burley you can say what i said.he dont belong at all since his greatness was established at middle not welter.he started out as a welter but did nothing to eastablish anything remote to being in this tourney.he developed as a fighter learning his craft.as a middle he indeed belongs.to take burley at that stage of his career at welter in the developing learning stage with inexperience and to toss him in with established greats is a disaster.to say a tourney is fighters at there best then he dont belong.his best started at middle not welter.he went from infancy
Quesiton Dmar. How much did Burley weigh when he destroyed Archie Moore? I always found that to be amazing to say the least. Not to mention a cocky fighter like Moore admitting that not only did he get beat, but praising Burley as the greatest fighter he ever saw.

He weighed 155 for the fight.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:07 pm

frank i think burley weighted 155.far from the welter 147..it was maybe a good 25 or so fights since burley fought near 147...archie says some weird things in his life.indeed burley was great.the best that moore ever fought.come on archie.archie must of forgot if memory serves me correct just 2 or so months early archie got the shit beat out of him by a eddie booker or something like that droping archie 6 times or so and koing archie.he gave moore a beating well beyound what burley did.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:19 pm

in fact a year or so before the burley fight and a year or so after it moore had a history of taking beatings.wining some losing some.in 4 or 5 fights outside thoses two moore was decked at least once sometimes twice and i think bivins decked him 3 or 4 times.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  boxinglawyer Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:48 pm

4. Joe Walcott vs

I think Burley should be thrown out of the tournament and Whitaker should replace him.

boxinglawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:57 pm

6. Tommy Hearns vs Felix Trinidad-damn I really dont know.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 am

1. Sugar Ray Robinson 5-0 Barney Ross
2. Henry Armstrong 4-1 Mickey Walker
3. Sugar Ray Leonard 5-0 Emile Griffith
4. Joe Walcott 2-1 Jimmy McLarnin
5. Kid Gavilan 4-1 Jose Naples
6. Tommy Hearns 4-0 Felix Trinidad
7. Manny Pacquiao 5-0 Luis Rodriguez
8. Floyd Mayweather Jr 3-2 Charley Burley
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 am

If 10 people picked their top 16 WW ever then we would get 10 different responses.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down