The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roach on possible opponents for Manny

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Roach on possible opponents for Manny Empty Roach on possible opponents for Manny

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:42 am

Would you see a potential fight with an Andre Berto, Devon Alexander, Tim Bradley or even his stablemate, Amir Khan, for Manny Pacquiao?

Of course. All of those guys. Especially Andre Berto. Bob recently asked me who I wanted to fight next and I said [Juan Manuel] Marquez, Berto or Mosley. I said 'we would fight any of them, no problem.'

How big would a fight be between Amir Khan and Manny Pacquiao?
I think that actually, Marquez brings more money to the table. Amir is a good draw. Bradley's coming on a little bit. He's had some good fights. Alexander's not that well-known yet. But we definitely could fight the winner of Alexander-Bradley, and, Amir's got a big fight coming up with Marcos Maidana.

We're in great shape for the fight with Maidana. I believe that we'll knock Maidana out somewhere along the line. But Maidana is a big puncher and a dangerous guy. The winners of those fights could definitely be Manny's next opponent.

So you wouldn't entertain a catch weight for any of the lower weight guys coming up to face Manny?
Nope.

Why do you believe that a third fight with Juan Manuel Marquez (pictured at right) would be the most marketable?
Because they have history between them. You know, they've fought twice, and they were close fights. They were very good fights for boxing and very competitive. Manny beat him and fought him to a draw, and Marquez knows Manny and knows what gives Manny trouble.

Marquez has proven that in two fights. Both fights went the distance. Marquez has been down four times in the two fights, but he's gotten up and made the fight. Marquez is a very durable guy and he's got an audience and a fan base behind him. So he's marketable.

http://boxing.fanhouse.com/2010/11/24/freddie-roach-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-skin-color/
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Roach on possible opponents for Manny Empty Re: Roach on possible opponents for Manny

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:03 am

I don't get why he's happy with Khan vs Pac, how is he going to be able to prepare for a fight between two of his stable mates ?

Roach also left out the part where he's demanding the third Marquez fight at 147lb.

Back to top Go down

Roach on possible opponents for Manny Empty Re: Roach on possible opponents for Manny

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:12 am

Why he's THE ROACH
Roach on possible opponents for Manny Roach_body
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:53 am

ali the 147 parts in there..he said nope to a catchweight fight for any of the lighter guys..roach what he said about marquez is partialy true..thats the past..manny will destroy him and arum manny and freddie know that..
mosley has agreeded to terms with arum..he will approach berto and the bradley-alexander winner also and bring the 3 proposals to pacs people..

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:09 am

I'm sick of Roach's weight requirements. Fight bigger guys make them have catchweights. Fight smaller guys, make them come up. I am tired of it.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:12 am

captainanddew wrote:I'm sick of Roach's weight requirements. Fight bigger guys make them have catchweights. Fight smaller guys, make them come up. I am tired of it.

+1 it's really devious of Freddie to ask Marquez to fight at 147lb, we all saw how poor he looked at Welterweight against Flod and it's so obvious Manny could make 140lb standing on his head.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:24 am

Ali wrote:
captainanddew wrote:I'm sick of Roach's weight requirements. Fight bigger guys make them have catchweights. Fight smaller guys, make them come up. I am tired of it.

+1 it's really devious of Freddie to ask Marquez to fight at 147lb, we all saw how poor he looked at Welterweight against Flod and it's so obvious Manny could make 140lb standing on his head.

Manny has all the power. Everyone wants the lottery ticket and is willing to agree to his demands to get it. If sick of it though.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:25 am

Freddie's too afraid to ask for fights below 147lb because Manny get's grump when he misses a meal Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:27 am

...i am tired of freddie roach totaly...shut him up please.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:30 am

It will be truly disgusting if they make JMM come up to welterweight. Roach talks too much.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:32 pm

But JMM is not smaller than Manny. I see no problem with them not fighting at a catch-weight. Both will come in around 144. Both will benefit from not having to cut weight. I dont understand the issue Manny is not a real WW.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Which smaller guy has Pac fought so far that came up in weight?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Canvas wrote:It will be truly disgusting if they make JMM come up to welterweight. Roach talks too much.

JMM believes in his own greatness. If so, what's the problem in fighting Pac @ WW?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
But JMM is not smaller than Manny. I see no problem with them not fighting at a catch-weight. Both will come in around 144. Both will benefit from not having to cut weight. I dont understand the issue Manny is not a real WW.

Amen..........

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:08 pm

daintyhulk wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

Amen..........
Seriously,
JMM is 5'7 67 inch reach and started his career at 125lbs. Heck he weighed 142 against Floyd.

Manny is 5'6 67 inch reach and started his career at 106lbs.

There should be zero issue with them fighting at WW. Neither guy has a size advantage so the weight shouldnt matter.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
daintyhulk wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

Amen..........
Seriously,
JMM is 5'7 67 inch reach and started his career at 125lbs. Heck he weighed 142 against Floyd.

Manny is 5'6 67 inch reach and started his career at 106lbs.

There should be zero issue with them fighting at WW. Neither guy has a size advantage so the weight shouldnt matter.

Considering that Pac now rules boxing, being the king gives him the homefield advantage. So his house, his rules. If JMM wants that retirement fund and since he has no leverage as far as purse is concerned, he should fight Pac @ 147.

Of course it does not mean that he cannot come @ a lower weight. Pac/Margo was @ 151 catchweight. Pac weighed in @ 144.5 and fight night was 148. JMM can do the same. He's running his mouth on his greatness. Talk is cheap. If you talk the talk, then walk the walk.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:

I think you're more or less right. I STILL wish Manny would try to get to 135 for a fifth lineal title. Not gonna happen is my guess.

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:06 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

I think you're more or less right. I STILL wish Manny would try to get to 135 for a fifth lineal title. Not gonna happen is my guess.
I agree that would be cool. Add to the legacy of Manny Pac.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

That'd be a "I gave JMM every edge and I STILL beat his ass, any questions" approach for Manny.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Be a hard fight to sell. People would see it as Manny picking on little guys since just got down beating up on a middleweight size opponent.

He's become a victom of his own success at the higher weights

Last edited by GrantZilla on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:12 pm

My 2 cents:
The winner of Berto-Hernandez, Alexander-Bradley or Khan-Maidana would all make great opponents for Pacquiao. I'm probably in a minority, but I have no interest in seeing Pac fight either JMM or Mosley, give these young guys a shot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:13 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Be a hard fight to sell. People would see it as Manny picking on little guys since just got down beating up on a middleweight size opponent.

He's become a victom of his own success at the higher weights

REALLY? You think JMM is a tough sell?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

LOL @ legacy..............
How much more could he add to that @ lower weights no less?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:17 pm

daintyhulk wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:

LOL @ legacy..............
How much more could he add to that @ lower weights no less?

he's the only guy in history to win four lineal titles. You don't think a fifth would mean something?

Henry Armstrong went feather-welter-light and Bob Fitzsimmons went middle-heavy-light.

Last edited by marbleheadmaui on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:17 pm

Not to Mexican fans, but to the casual fan, yeah.

Casual fan is still griping that he's not fighting Mayweather, Pac fighting a guy he's already fought twice, at a lowerweight could end up not being a easy sell.

Not like Pac's first two fights with JMM brought in massive PPV numbers. I know this was Pre-Oscar, but still.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next