The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bama vs. LSU monday night Jan. 9th

5 posters

Go down

Bama vs. LSU monday night Jan. 9th Empty Bama vs. LSU monday night Jan. 9th

Post  Guest Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 pm

The NCG, starts at 8:30 PM ET.

I'd like to see Alabama win this one, i'll pick Bama 24-13

Who you kats got?

Back to top Go down

Bama vs. LSU monday night Jan. 9th Empty Re: Bama vs. LSU monday night Jan. 9th

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 am

Bama
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 am

This should be a good game tonight, the action starts at about 8:30 PM ET.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:34 pm

ok state would have beat both of these teams.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:18 am

Soonermark890 wrote:ok state would have beat both of these teams.

I'm not so sure about that, they both have great defenses.

Bama is up 15-0 - 6:00 mins left in the game.. LSU has no offense tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 am

Roll tide.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 am

Turn out the lights, the party's over.. Tide 21- zip.

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:15 am

Ring wrote:Turn out the lights, the party's over.. Tide 21- zip.

I wasn't thrilled that Bama got to walk into National Title, but they played a dominate game.

I'm really surprised thought at LSU's incompetent offensive play and terrible QB play. They made no adjustments at all to Bama's defense. Just kept trying to pound the ball even though they kept getting stuffed and averaging 1 yard a carry.

Bama vs. LSU monday night Jan. 9th Bcs-ch10
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 am

oklahoma state simply gets no respect.i can understand why bama and lsu were the final two for the big game.but in the ap poll the final of the year bamas number one lsu number 2 oklahoma state number 3.lsu sorry should be 3.
os beat a top 5 powerhouse offensively in stanford scoring 38 points.os i feel could beat both clubs or at least one of them.thats not the issue for me.does anyone actualy think that if os played bama twice they would be held to 6 points in the two games.or if they played lsu twice they would be held to 24 points in two games..nooooo way.theres no doubt in my mind if os played two games against either team they will walk away wining one at least.
i dont care how much hype there is for bamas or lsu defense.to beat oklahoma state they would have to put up at least 35 points minimum.more like 38 or 45.. i have no problem with lsu-bama for the title game.i do have a problem with os being ranked number 3 by the ap..finaly over the past 50 years bama is also the darling of the press along with notre dame.thats coming from a notre dame penn state fan..os deserves number 2.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:17 pm

dmar5143 wrote:oklahoma state simply gets no respect.i can understand why bama and lsu were the final two for the big game.but in the ap poll the final of the year bamas number one lsu number 2 oklahoma state number 3.lsu sorry should be 3.
os beat a top 5 powerhouse offensively in stanford scoring 38 points.os i feel could beat both clubs or at least one of them.thats not the issue for me.does anyone actualy think that if os played bama twice they would be held to 6 points in the two games.or if they played lsu twice they would be held to 24 points in two games..nooooo way.theres no doubt in my mind if os played two games against either team they will walk away wining one at least.
i dont care how much hype there is for bamas or lsu defense.to beat oklahoma state they would have to put up at least 35 points minimum.more like 38 or 45.. i have no problem with lsu-bama for the title game.i do have a problem with os being ranked number 3 by the ap..finaly over the past 50 years bama is also the darling of the press along with notre dame.thats coming from a notre dame penn state fan..os deserves number 2.

I've gotta agree dmar, there's no doubt that OSU should be #2, mainly because Alabama played so well, and LSU played so poorly on offense. Horrible game for LSU after being the #1. team in the nation just about the entire season they get shut out when it really counted.

Congrats to 'Bama and Saban, convincing/dominate win for them, for all the marbles.

BTW, dude, a ND fan? What's up with that.. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Overnight ratings for Alabama's 21-0 victory over Louisiana State in the Bowl Championship Series title game were the lowest for a national championship in the 14-year history of the BCS. The All-SEC affair, the first championship pairing of teams from the same conference, drew a 13.8 overnight rating on ESPN. The previous record low was a 14.3 for Miami-Nebraska at the 2002 Rose Bowl.

This is what happens when you have two teams from the same conference playing for the national title. Alabama became the first school since Minnesota in 1936 to win a national title without winning its conference.

http://tinyurl.com/7tyb8pj

This doesn't cause some kind of reform and a play-off system, nothing will
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 pm

I wonder if LSU cares if they're #2 or #3. I don't think it matters at all.

If they adopt a playoff system, they should pay the kids or give them free As or something. Half of the BCS bowls were awesome this year. The championship determined the best team in the country as well as a playoff would have (if Bama had won in a playoff it would have been the same result).

Football is not like basketball in which you can add extra games without consequences. People, especially college kids, will break down if more games are added. It's one of the reasons I hate the idea of an 18 game NFL season. Out of curiosity though, what sort of playoffs would people suggest?

Bama had the best season of any team this year, most would argue that they looked like the best team, and the biggest knock on them not getting in the playoff game was that they had already played LSU (and not that they didn't deserve it). So... the best team in the country was established, we saw some great football, and schools got $. No complaints from me this year.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 pm

GrantZilla wrote:Overnight ratings for Alabama's 21-0 victory over Louisiana State in the Bowl Championship Series title game were the lowest for a national championship in the 14-year history of the BCS. The All-SEC affair, the first championship pairing of teams from the same conference, drew a 13.8 overnight rating on ESPN. The previous record low was a 14.3 for Miami-Nebraska at the 2002 Rose Bowl.

This is what happens when you have two teams from the same conference playing for the national title. Alabama became the first school since Minnesota in 1936 to win a national title without winning its conference.

http://tinyurl.com/7tyb8pj

This doesn't cause some kind of reform and a play-off system, nothing will

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/alabama-lsu_produces_lowest_tv.html

Now they're saying it's the 3rd lowest. Also, all of the bowl games were down this year and it was on ESPN now which probably hurts the ratings when compared against the entire BCS era. Lastly, it was a rematch game between two defensive minded teams without any marketable stars (Tebow, Vince Young, Cam Newton, Matt Leinart or Reggie Bush, etc.)
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:42 am

Gumby wrote:I wonder if LSU cares if they're #2 or #3. I don't think it matters at all.

If they adopt a playoff system, they should pay the kids or give them free As or something. Half of the BCS bowls were awesome this year. The championship determined the best team in the country as well as a playoff would have (if Bama had won in a playoff it would have been the same result).

Football is not like basketball in which you can add extra games without consequences. People, especially college kids, will break down if more games are added. It's one of the reasons I hate the idea of an 18 game NFL season. Out of curiosity though, what sort of playoffs would people suggest?

Bama had the best season of any team this year, most would argue that they looked like the best team, and the biggest knock on them not getting in the playoff game was that they had already played LSU (and not that they didn't deserve it). So... the best team in the country was established, we saw some great football, and schools got $. No complaints from me this year.

I totally agree Gumby, this was the best NCG that could have happened and Bama was the best team in the Country. I enjoyed watching them dominate and shut down LSU.

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

i think that this bama thing is getting blown out of proportion with how good they are. lsu definitely had the best season. they beat better competition. they were the better team. they just werent the better team during the big game. in professional sports it happens that a team loses to another in regular season but beats them in the playoffs or title game. with how college football is run, this game should have never happened. bama already lost to lsu. i remember before oregon had lost to usc everybody made the excuse that they shouldnt be considered for the national championship game because they already lost to lsu. then what happened? bama got in.

i think that lsu just had a terrible night and bama had a good one. although they played great defense, getting shut out like that and only crossing midfield once shows how bad the offense played and not just how great the defense played.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 am

Gumby wrote:Bama had the best season of any team this year, most would argue that they looked like the best team, and the biggest knock on them not getting in the playoff game was that they had already played LSU (and not that they didn't deserve it). So... the best team in the country was established, we saw some great football, and schools got $. No complaints from me this year.

They did not have the beast season of any team this year. Are you seriouse? LSU did by far. Bama played nobody all season. Their strength of schedule was lower than Oklahoma State.

LSU beat eight ranked teams, three of them in the top three at that time.

There is no reason why they can not have a plus-one play off system.
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:54 am

powerpuncher wrote:i think that this bama thing is getting blown out of proportion with how good they are. lsu definitely had the best season. they beat better competition. they were the better team. they just werent the better team during the big game. in professional sports it happens that a team loses to another in regular season but beats them in the playoffs or title game. with how college football is run, this game should have never happened. bama already lost to lsu. i remember before oregon had lost to usc everybody made the excuse that they shouldnt be considered for the national championship game because they already lost to lsu. then what happened? bama got in.

i think that lsu just had a terrible night and bama had a good one. although they played great defense, getting shut out like that and only crossing midfield once shows how bad the offense played and not just how great the defense played.
Bama arguably outplayed LSU in the first game. They lost because of poor kicking. A difference between Bama and Oregon was that Bama was competitive for all 4 quarters...and OT. When Oregon and LSU played it looked like Oregon didn't have the talent needed to win. They got worn down.

Here is Bama's record: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/333/alabama-crimson-tide. They played 1 close game this year and that was the only one they lost. If anything Bama's tremendous season has been unheralded because of what LSU accomplished.

The thing people overlook is that Bama deserved to be in the game based on the strength of their schedule and the quality of their wins. The only other team that had a valid case was Ok. State. And if you want to try to argue that Bama didn't deserve to be in the game after they dominated LSU I don't know what to tell you. I don't understand how you can make the argument that LSU was the better team based on their head to head competition. Over 8 quarters Bama has dominated every statistical category and the eye test. In 8+ quarters LSU scored 9 points on Bama. They averaged 35 a game...
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:04 am

Again, how the hell did Alabama have a strong schedule? The Tide's best win during the entire season was against Penn State.

GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:52 am

bama overall had a mediocre schedule.arkansaw was its toughest team.florida turned out to be mediocre so did auburn.penn state decent but not a top ten type of team.the others are tradition givemes so to speak.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 pm

GrantZilla wrote:
Gumby wrote:Bama had the best season of any team this year, most would argue that they looked like the best team, and the biggest knock on them not getting in the playoff game was that they had already played LSU (and not that they didn't deserve it). So... the best team in the country was established, we saw some great football, and schools got $. No complaints from me this year.

They did not have the beast season of any team this year. Are you seriouse? LSU did by far. Bama played nobody all season. Their strength of schedule was lower than Oklahoma State.

LSU beat eight ranked teams, three of them in the top three at that time.

There is no reason why they can not have a plus-one play off system.
Look at how Alabama played against their competition (and not just the records). Ok. State struggled in some games, Stanford struggled in some games, Boise State (who would be much higher if they weren't given AZ. State) struggled in some games; Alabama and LSU were consistently dominant. And between those two teams, Alabama played better in their head to head match ups.

Bama beat everyone they played and won the championship game. They beat 5 ranked teams and Vandy and Miss State were good enough this year to go to bowls. Bowl games are more important than regular season games. Ask Clemson how they feel about their season. Ask WVU. Those count as part of the season. Bama beat the majority of the same teams as LSU did. Just because the rankings of some of those teams changed doesn't mean the teams did (with some exceptions). And they beat them head to head in the most important game. To me, that's the best overall season this year.

For example, I will never say the Patriots had a better season than the Giants in '07. Never. And I'm constantly looking at the Pats with tinted glasses.

I don't think a +1 would resolve that much. Teams 5-8 would say that they deserved to be in the game and a lot of years it would be just as messy. Which 1 loss or 2 loss team should get into the playoff? The regular season is set up like a playoff. Every game matters. Every loss determines whether or not you can play in a BCS bowl.

Ok. State got screwed this year. Their loss is understandable considering the circumstances around it. But they still lost. And they struggled with K State and A&M as well. Stanford never even proved they were the best team in the Pac 10. Had Oregon not scheduled a game against LSU, they would have had that spot. Based on the way they played and what I saw, I would put both of those teams in the same tier as Arkansas along with Oregon and Wisconsin. You can play the game of looking at their performances against common opponents to strengthen that argument.

If Alabama had played Stanford and LSU had played Ok. State and both SEC teams won convincingly, then I would have been upset. I'd even argue it's more fun for the fans of Ok. State to get to say they were the best team in the season than to end up like Ohio State and Oklahoma have for the past several seasons.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:16 pm

dmar5143 wrote:bama overall had a mediocre schedule.arkansaw was its toughest team.florida turned out to be mediocre so did auburn.penn state decent but not a top ten type of team.the others are tradition givemes so to speak.
Let's say Penn State and WVU are similar. LSU had Bama (who they squeaked by), Oregon and Georgia (who they beat in the conference championship). I personally don't rank those 3 wins above Bama's dominant performance in the title game.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down