The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATED: Mayweather scheduled to fight May 5th...Maybe Morales

+10
Diego408
gomez1012
Gumby
SlickMoney
UBeeg9cats
Tobe
Frank
dmar5143
flapanther2001
GrantZilla
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

UPDATED: Mayweather scheduled to fight May 5th...Maybe Morales Empty UPDATED: Mayweather scheduled to fight May 5th...Maybe Morales

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:03 am

Boxing adviser Leonard Ellerbe has revealed that WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26 KOs) intends to defend his belt on May 5 and the MGM Grand in Las Vegas has been placed on hold. On September 17th, Mayweather returned from a 16-month layoff to stop Victor Ortiz in four rounds.

Ellerbe told ESPN.com that WBO champion Manny Pacquiao is the main target for the fight. The two sides have tried to negotiate a fight in the past but the talks have fallen apart more than a few times. The biggest issue, which still remains outstanding, is each side agreeing to a random drug testing protocol.

"We're looking to make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is, the little fella. Floyd made it very clear that he wants to give the fans the biggest fights that are out there. He wants to stay active," Ellerbe said. "We're going to do everything in our power to make the biggest fight out there for the fans and we all know what the fight is."

"Floyd made it very clear to us what he wanted to do. He told us he is looking to make the biggest fight that is out there and to make it in May."

http://tinyurl.com/3clk8t2

Last edited by GrantZilla on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

UPDATED: Mayweather scheduled to fight May 5th...Maybe Morales Empty Re: UPDATED: Mayweather scheduled to fight May 5th...Maybe Morales

Post  flapanther2001 Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:43 am

Blah, blah, blah....2 weeks before Pacquiao fights Mayweather makes another "announcement". Blah, blah, blah!!!!
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

UPDATED: Mayweather scheduled to fight May 5th...Maybe Morales Empty Re: UPDATED: Mayweather scheduled to fight May 5th...Maybe Morales

Post  dmar5143 Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:36 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Blah, blah, blah....2 weeks before Pacquiao fights Mayweather makes another "announcement". Blah, blah, blah!!!!
....yep 10 days before the pac fight.floyds timing is of course to draw attention to floyd.neither fighter needs each other to make big money.
the wording the biggest fight out there to me only means 1.pac 2.martinez3.kahn..there are no others.if floyd accepts a 50-50 split and a 7 day cutoff for the so called blood testing there will be a fight.there is testing the day after the fight or right after the fight so please dont tell me that a 6 day window in reality will be risked or beneficial for performances and THEN go undetected after the fight.
may 5 will be a big fight.the question is against who.if the fight isnt made then after 3 or 4 days i hope this forum and the boxing world moves on and stops talking about the fight.
the press release is possitive of course.over talking about the fight perhaps is not.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:50 am

oh by the way to any arum haters the master did it again.by arum calling floyd chicken and declaring this fight will never be made suerly played a large roll in this may 5th announcement.arum rarely rarely says something without a good reason or sound strategy...
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:33 am

Believe me guys, they'll fight on May 5th.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:36 am

Frank wrote:Believe me guys, they'll fight on May 5th.

What makes you so sure? Suspect
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:09 am

dmar5143 wrote:oh by the way to any arum haters the master did it again.by arum calling floyd chicken and declaring this fight will never be made suerly played a large roll in this may 5th announcement.arum rarely rarely says something without a good reason or sound strategy...

Yeah Arum really is a puppeteer in this situation. He knows how easily it is to goad Floyd. Floyd thinks making this announcement will turn people's attention from Pac to him but what it really did is get boxing on the front page with the line "as long as Pac wins his next fight in 2 weeks". More people know about Pac's fight because of this Laughing

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  SlickMoney Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:47 am

flapanther2001 wrote:Blah, blah, blah....2 weeks before Pacquiao fights Mayweather makes another "announcement". Blah, blah, blah!!!!

Pacquiao's fight with Marquez was scheduled quickly after his Mosley fight. You already see Arum trying to set up Bradley and Pacquiao.
SlickMoney
SlickMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:59 am

Damn. I'll let myself get sucked into the hype and cross my fingers again. 24/7 should be there for the negotiations. That way we'd know who to hold accountable.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Gumby wrote:Damn. I'll let myself get sucked into the hype and cross my fingers again. 24/7 should be there for the negotiations. That way we'd know who to hold accountable.

We need something like this then lol

gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Gumby wrote:Damn. I'll let myself get sucked into the hype and cross my fingers again. 24/7 should be there for the negotiations. That way we'd know who to hold accountable.
..lol i like the idea..all transperity and no secret negotiations.talk about a great idea and a PR campaign that will sell tickets and bring out talk threwout all the meida as well as boxing fans and the general public talking one on one.2.5 million ppvs or more with this idea...
if folks are realy serious this can be done in a hour.mgm grand and a good 10 million dollar or more live gate and there should be no problem with the date.somewhere i read manny wont do a 50-50 split.give floyd a 51-49.lets have same day weigh inns and lets do a 5-7 day cutoff for testing to reduce mannys phobia that it weakens him and a test the next day or right after the fight.standard ring size ..lets cut the bullshit and jocking for crap and get real.a standard contract and fill in the blanks with the important stuff...yes televise it and get it done..one hour is all thats realy needed.10-1 it will drag out in the media for 2 months of negotiating and crap that could piss both guys off and no fight.
fucking peace treaties over wars had shorter negotiations..let this be the last effort and if it fails fuck talking about the fight...yep gumby great idea...
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Tobe wrote:

What makes you so sure? Suspect
Mayweather's ego can just take so much punishment. Let's say for arguments sake that Mayweather is right in terms of his allegations of PEDs and the Paquiao camp. Reality is a slave to perception and the perception of most general sports fans is that MW is scared of Pac. Also, the numbers involved in this fight are way to big. At least that's my take.

Last edited by Frank on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Ive expected this fight to happen next year, like many other people too. When their negotiations failed back in 2010, even Dan Rafael said it would happen May, 5 2012.

Last edited by Diego408 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Ive expect this fight to happen next year, like many other people too. When their negotiations failed back in 2010, even dan Rafael said it would happen May 5 2012.
I agree. Also, this fight has become bigger than boxing. Look on your local magazine rack. They'll not only fight, they'll be a rematch clause. Obviously I'm guessing on this subject. I'm looking on the outside in just like everyone else.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:15 pm

Dan Rafael
Spoke to @BobArum about testing for a Manny-Floyd fight. 'Olympic testing is OK for this fight. Blood and urine random testing. No problem.'

Dan Rafael
Arum further said with regard to random testing for a Manny-Floyd fight they are fine for USADA in the US and WADA while in Philippines
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:34 pm

GrantZilla wrote: Dan Rafael
Spoke to @BobArum about testing for a Manny-Floyd fight. 'Olympic testing is OK for this fight. Blood and urine random testing. No problem.'

Dan Rafael
Arum further said with regard to random testing for a Manny-Floyd fight they are fine for USADA in the US and WADA while in Philippines

until they sign a contract, I will believe that no matter what Manny agrees to, Mayweather will ask for something additional.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  hardcorebee24 Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Diego408 wrote:
Ive expected this fight to happen next year, like many other people too. When their negotiations failed back in 2010, even Dan Rafael said it would happen May, 5 2012.

Yeah ok Nostradamus.
hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzaJoey Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:59 am

I really don't know.
The back of my head is always questioning this, will Floyd ever give Pac a shot at immortality ?
Just imagine if he lost to Pac. Heaven forbid, a KO loss.
Pac would wipe out his legacy and Pac becomes a legend.

I really don't know if Floyd is prepared for that.
And I'm not too sure if all this talk now was just concocted to kill the sales of Pac-Jmm III.
GonzaJoey
GonzaJoey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:39 am

Pac needs to call Floyd's bluff and agree to everything.

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:48 am

GonzaJoey wrote:I really don't know.
The back of my head is always questioning this, will Floyd ever give Pac a shot at immortality ?
Just imagine if he lost to Pac. Heaven forbid, a KO loss.
Pac would wipe out his legacy and Pac becomes a legend.

I really don't know if Floyd is prepared for that.
And I'm not too sure if all this talk now was just concocted to kill the sales of Pac-Jmm III.

+1

Im doubting the fight too, Arum is already saying wtf ya doing? This is no way to negotiate.

Its a mess but at least Hershman is in the mix now, if he can get a group of promoters like Sauerland, Gary Shaw, Dibella, Goossen, Hennessy (at the time) to do the Super Six - he should be prepared to deal with these idiot egomaniacs to get the richest fight in the sport done.
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego408 Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:57 pm

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Diego408 wrote:

Yeah ok Nostradamus.
thanks
Diego408
Diego408

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Hagler's Bald Head wrote:Pac needs to call Floyd's bluff and agree to everything.

I'm still on record as favoring Floyd in the matchup, but I don't believe it will happen. Floyd does not want to risk his perfect record. If Pac agrees to everything then Floyd will come up with something else.

I know it is Arum's word (how much do you trust Arum though?), but Arum said Mayweather asked for 100 million dollars in the last negotiation.

If that is true, that number isn't a starting negotiation point. That number is so big it is a non-starter and showed that Floyd didn't want the fight.

Once again, it depends on whether you believe Arum.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  GrantZilla Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:08 am

According to Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum, WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is attempting to close a deal to face Erik Morales, the WBC champion 140-pounds, on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. A few days ago, Mayweather's adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, said Mayweather was planning to return on May 5th of next year, and they already had the MGM Grand on hold. Ellerbe said Mayweather was looking to fight the "little fella" but Arum says the little fella is not WBO champion Manny Pacquiao, but Erik Morales of Mexico.

“You know who the little fellow that they already approached? It’s Erik Morales,” Arum told the Manila Bulletin. “And Erik will confirm it – absolutely. Erik has been approached to make the fight. He’ll take it for the money. I’m sure he’ll take it for the money. Why wouldn’t he?"

Arum's information may not be as crazy as everyone believes, because several days ago in the Mexican press - Golden Boy Promotions head matchmaker Eric Gomez was directly quoted as stating that his company was trying to make a fight between Morales and Mayweather, and both sides were very interested.

Gomez told Mexican reporters on October 29th - "We are in talks with Floyd Mayweather to match him with Morales. The problem is, it's very hard get Floyd because he says one thing today and another thing tomorrow."

Arum feels they used Pacquiao's name to secure the May date with the MGM.

“I don’t know who’s gonna buy it (Mayweather vs Morales). But that’s the whole nonsense is all about,” said Arum. “He (Mayweather) was on television last night. They say, ‘Why don’t you fight Pacquiao?’ And he says, ‘Take the test, take the test.’ What the f-k is he talking about? Everybody knows that’s not an issue anymore. He will not fight Manny Pacquiao. And who cares. There are some better guys out there for Manny to fight.

“They bull----ed the MGM to get the date, to get May 5. So they cut us out of getting May 5. But we don’t need May 5 because we’re not fighting a Spanish guy next. But they want May 5 because they’re fighting Morales.”

http://tinyurl.com/d732dyp
GrantZilla
GrantZilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 am

This is what I don't understand. Why is Bob Arum actively trying to kill the fight? How hard would it have been to go: "I'm happy Floyd is interested in fighting Manny, we'll begin negotiations today (or at least after Manny fights). We've already agreed to all of his demands that were previously unmet so we hope we can get the fight." He's negotiating at the same level as Floyd. I don't think I've heard a public statement from Arum talking about how he was trying to make the fight in about 2 years.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  dmar5143 Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:47 am

this is a joke.for morales folks not only to confirm there in talks with floyd for a fight but also leads great credibilty to whos mostly at fault in the pac breakdowns...floyd keeps saying one thing then changes his mind is basicaly what morales folks have said..lol this is what they called the biggest fight out there.i can see a berto fight yes or even a jones fight but morales...morales who looked good fighting the slow maidana but lost and awfull his last fight against a B type fighter and who peaks out at 140 pounds ...
if this is a ploy to attempt to get pac to submit to floyds demands then floyd should take the test..the mental test.
theres no doubt in my mind they somehow will sell this junk to the public.after all im fighting the guy who actualy beat pac.
the fight should be held on april first..thats the appropiate date.
dmar5143
dmar5143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next