The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why is notre dame ever ranked

+2
Gumby
Soonermark890
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

why is notre dame ever ranked Empty why is notre dame ever ranked

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:42 pm

it seems like every year they are ranked and every year they suck. Also get their ass off tv. Show a game that matters.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

why is notre dame ever ranked Empty Re: why is notre dame ever ranked

Post  Soonermark890 Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:17 pm

also sorry tobe I think I remember you being a notre dame fan.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Tradition. Popularity. They used to be good in the past so they have a lot of fans. They have a CBS contract so it's good to rank them so people will want to watch. They haven't been a top 25 team since the 90s.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Gumby wrote:Tradition. Popularity. They used to be good in the past so they have a lot of fans. They have a CBS contract so it's good to rank them so people will want to watch. They haven't been a top 25 team since the 90s.
Are they really that popular? I have never met a notre dame fan.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Gumby wrote:Tradition. Popularity. They used to be good in the past so they have a lot of fans. They have a CBS contract so it's good to rank them so people will want to watch. They haven't been a top 25 team since the 90s.

its not CBS, it is NBC. Notre Dame has had a deal with NBC since 1991.

I don't know why they continue to have that deal as Notre Dame really hasn't been relevant in a decade.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:46 pm

i have always said the same thing. they are always ranked and then lose. then they win a game and get ranked again. they are always an alright team in general but shouldnt be a ranked team.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:49 pm

I've been a Notre Dame hater for as long as i've been fan of CFB. (over 45 years) I just can't stand that Irish Catholic bullshit, and I always thought they had unfair advantages in recruiting players, and not to mention their own personal TV network (NBC) airing their games.

Anyway, i'm almost as happy when ND is having a losing FB season as I am when my beloved Longhorns are having a winning one. Wink

BTW, Do you know why Bob Stoops can't eat cereal? Because he chokes when he gets near Bowls. What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Ring wrote:I've been a Notre Dame hater for as long as i've been fan of CFB. (over 45 years) I just can't stand that Irish Catholic bullshit, and I always thought they had unfair advantages in recruiting players, and not to mention their own personal TV network (NBC) airing their games.

Anyway, i'm almost as happy when ND is having a losing FB season as I am when my beloved Longhorns are having a winning one. Wink

BTW, Do you know why Bob Stoops can't eat cereal? Because he chokes when he gets near Bowls. What a Face

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
How do you get an UT graduate off your porch?............................................ ......pay him for the pizza

What does an UT graduate say to an OU grad?.......................................Welcom e to McDonalds, can I take your order?
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 am

Soonermark890 wrote:also sorry tobe I think I remember you being a notre dame fan.

Hey! I go away for a week and you're slagging my Irish?! Evil or Very Mad

Notre Dame is THE University of College Football. They've made NCAA what it is today, and have been doing it the right way for over 100 years. They're on TV every week because NBC knows where the money is. National fan base (international in my case) = National exposure.

Unlike most schools, kids playing for Notre Dame actually have to be able to READ, which does cut into their recruiting compared to some places *cough, SEC, cough*.

That said, Notre Dame still has a solid team, they have two bullshit losses where they beat themselves this year, granted. No one is good enough to hand over 35 points in turnovers and win. But that defence, solid offensive line and a lot of weapons (e.g. Mike Floyd, Cierre Wood) make them a viable contender to beat anyone out there. Tommy Rees is a work in progress but he has potential. They also have a great crop of young guys on the D-line coming up (like Aaron Lynch) and a true Freshman I'm keen on seeing at QB named Everett Golson who are going to keep them in the hunt for the next few years. See Golson's highlight scramble from the Blue/Gold game here:

People love to hate ND, so I'm calling it right here - they'll beat everyone they face the rest of the season, inlcuding USC and Stanford, and win their bowl game. Just wait and see. cheers
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:18 am

Tobe wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:also sorry tobe I think I remember you being a notre dame fan.

Notre Dame is THE University of College Football. They've made NCAA what it is today, and have been doing it the right way for over 100 years. They're on TV every week because NBC knows where the money is. National fan base (international in my case) = National exposure.

Unlike most schools, kids playing for Notre Dame actually have to be able to READ, which does cut into their recruiting compared to some places *cough, SEC, cough*.

That said, Notre Dame still has a solid team, they have two bullshit losses where they beat themselves this year, granted. No one is good enough to hand over 35 points in turnovers and win. But that defence, solid offensive line and a lot of weapons (e.g. Mike Floyd, Cierre Wood) make them a viable contender to beat anyone out there. Tommy Rees is a work in progress but he has potential. They also have a great crop of young guys on the D-line coming up (like Aaron Lynch) and a true Freshman I'm keen on seeing at QB named Everett Golson who are going to keep them in the hunt for the next few years. See Golson's highlight scramble from the Blue/Gold game here:

People love to hate ND, so I'm calling it right here - they'll beat everyone they face the rest of the season, inlcuding USC and Stanford, and win their bowl game. Just wait and see. cheers
LOL sorry I was just watching them and they really are overrated and it just seems to happen every year. But you said the reason why they are not good. They keep their standards for getting into the university on a football scholarship way to high..
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:25 am

Tobe wrote:

They might beat USC but will not beat stanford. notre dame should never have an average season with all of the publicity they get. they should always be good.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:12 am

powerpuncher wrote: They might beat USC but will not beat stanford. notre dame should never have an average season with all of the publicity they get. they should always be good.

Yeah, they should always be good and they are good this year. Average seasons shouldn't be acceptable, I agree, and they haven't been. That's unfortunatly why there's been so much coaching turnover, which leads to inconsistent recruiting and compounds the problem.

Also, publicity doesn't replace the ability to keep a kid academically eligible at what is essentially an Ivy League school, so they are limited in the kind of kids they can recruit. That shouldn't be the excuse though; Standford faces basically the same problem.

Like I said, Notre Dame has two brutal losses in games they gave away on turnovers and mistakes, but take the talent on that team and line them up with anyone (including Standford) and I'll give the Irish a better than good chance to win.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:00 am

Tobe wrote:
powerpuncher wrote: They might beat USC but will not beat stanford. notre dame should never have an average season with all of the publicity they get. they should always be good.

Yeah, they should always be good and they are good this year. Average seasons shouldn't be acceptable, I agree, and they haven't been. That's unfortunatly why there's been so much coaching turnover, which leads to inconsistent recruiting and compounds the problem.

Also, publicity doesn't replace the ability to keep a kid academically eligible at what is essentially an Ivy League school, so they are limited in the kind of kids they can recruit. That shouldn't be the excuse though; Standford faces basically the same problem.

Like I said, Notre Dame has two brutal losses in games they gave away on turnovers and mistakes, but take the talent on that team and line them up with anyone (including Standford) and I'll give the Irish a better than good chance to win.
There is a rumor that they might join the Big 12 next year in Football.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:38 am

Soonermark890 wrote:There is a rumor that they might join the Big 12 next year in Football.

Yeah, that won't happen next year. When the NBC contract expires in 2015 (if it doesn't get renewed) then the pressure will be on to join a conference, I doubt it will happen before that. Too much money they're giving away ($1.2 million per game right now).
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 am

I'd just like to add to this thread, Fuck Kelly and the Irish.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Ring wrote:I'd just like to add to this thread, Fuck Kelly and the Irish.

Haters gonna hate afro

Come talk to me at the end of the season.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm

The Irish are going to have a good season. I wish they wouldn't have given those first 2 away. I think they will only be underdogs to Stanford for the rest of the season.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Tobe wrote:

i dont even want to hear that excuse. i go to BYU and its way harder to stay elligible there for academics and other things.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:42 pm

The bottom line is they shouldn't be ranked. The reason they are is because of old tradition and strong media relationships.

They can't get recruits because the school is in Indiana bad location, doesn't have a winning reputation in the past decade, and is academically tougher to get into than most of the elite programs in the country. Plus I think they hold student-athletes more accountable than a lot of schools because of their reputation.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  UBeeg9cats Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:04 pm

I know I'm a fan but I believe Kelly is a good coach and that this year they are a top 25 team. I understand them not being ranked right now because they gave the first 2 games away. The USC game will be very telling. These teams are both top 35 teams and both need some momentum for next year.

UBeeg9cats

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 pm

They just hung 59 on Air Force, could have been 70 if they left the starters in there. I'm feeling good about getting USC in South Bend with two weeks prep time for coach Kelly.
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Tobe wrote:They just hung 59 on Air Force, could have been 70 if they left the starters in there. I'm feeling good about getting USC in South Bend with two weeks prep time for coach Kelly.
Its air force
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tobe Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:54 pm

Soonermark890 wrote:
Tobe wrote:They just hung 59 on Air Force, could have been 70 if they left the starters in there. I'm feeling good about getting USC in South Bend with two weeks prep time for coach Kelly.
Its air force

I guess they're no Ball State, but you play who's on the schedule, eh?
Tobe
Tobe

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:46 am

Tobe wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
Its air force

we arent saying that notre dame is a horrible team but just that they should have never started ranked in the first place. and a lot of teams could rack up points if they really wanted to. a lot of teams could score 100 points against certain opponents but dont.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  Soonermark890 Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 am

Tobe wrote:
Soonermark890 wrote:
Its air force

LOL
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next