The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When did you become interested in boxing?

+5
powerpuncher
freakzilla
hardcorebee24
Soonermark890
Frank
9 posters

Go down

When did you become interested in boxing?  Empty When did you become interested in boxing?

Post  Frank Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Please give me the following information:

(a)What decade did you become interested in professional boxing?

(b)In this decade, who were the top fighters? Who was your favorite fighter? Maybe you had more than one. Please list them.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank

Back to top Go down

When did you become interested in boxing?  Empty Re: When did you become interested in boxing?

Post  Soonermark890 Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:29 pm

It was the 80's. Even though I was born in 82 my dad told me it was the only sport I would watch. My mom said it was funny because my dad hated watching boxing but because I loved it she forced him to watch it with me.

Tyson was my favorite until Morrison and Oscar. I don't remember the 80's extremely well but I have been watching it since I was a toddler.
Soonermark890
Soonermark890
Admin

https://theboxingpalace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

When did you become interested in boxing?  Empty Re: When did you become interested in boxing?

Post  hardcorebee24 Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 pm

I became interested in boxing in the 1980's.

The top fighter's in this decade or that stood out the most to me were Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Mike Tyson, Larry Holmes, Julian Jackson, Michael Spinks, Jerry Cooney, Hector Camacho, and Mike McCallum.

My favorite fighters were Thomas Hearns and Mark Breland.

hardcorebee24
hardcorebee24

Back to top Go down

Post  freakzilla Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:49 pm

In the 80's because as an Aussie Jeff Fenech was everywhere in the news here. I loved the way he fought and he reminded me of Rocky lol.

My favorite fighters were Jeff Fenech, Mike Tyson and Jeff Harding. I was only a kid so I didn't watch many others.
freakzilla
freakzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  powerpuncher Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:15 am

i started late 90's (since im young) and i remembering watching de la hoya/trinidad. thats when de la hoya became my favorite fighter because i thought that he won the fight and then i hated trinidad after that and was glad when bhop KO'd him. then i watched barrera/morales 2 and thought that morales got robbed and then started liking morales and hating barrera. so i guess i liked those who i thought got robbed. haha.

but the big fighters were de la hoya, trinidad, mosley, jones, hopkins, morales, and barrera. those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head. oh ya, and lennox lewis.
powerpuncher
powerpuncher

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:56 am

My Dad was a fighter (NJ Golden [Diamond] Gloves Champion in 1945, so I was hooked when he regaled me with stories of Rocky Marciano, who coincidentally, won the Hwt title the year I was born. I've been addicted to it ever since. I've always admired SRR, the most complete fighter ever. My fav's are, of course the Rock, Aaron Pryor, Robinson, Marcel Cerdan. Personal friends in the biz are Arturo & Joe Gatti, Daryl Pinckney & Kenny "Bang Bang" Bogner. Over the years, I've thoroughly enjoyed many great battles....Leonard beating Benitez, Pryor/Arguello I & II, Hagler vs Hearns vs Leonard. I was in Easton, PA one time for a wrestling tournament so I drove to Larry Holme's house and knocked on his door. My friends said I was crazy, but I had to do it. Watching Ali develop into the persona he became was pretty cool too. I had to listen to Ali/Frazier I on the radio because it was a school night......
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Gumby Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:54 am

Mid 80s. Just going over tapes of 60s and 70s fighters while getting into the sport and watching the bigger fights. Became a fan during the Tyson era when everyone was hyped up about boxing and stuck around for the long haul.
Gumby
Gumby

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:58 am

I'm almost 35, so it was the 80s for me. But I'd have to say that Morales vs Barerra I and II and Corrales vs Castillo turned me from a pretty big boxing fan into an obsessive one.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  gomez1012 Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:01 pm

late 80's, 90s

Chiquita Gonzalez, Michael Carbajal, Finito Lopez, Chavez Sr
gomez1012
gomez1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down