The Boxing Palace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a such thing as a fighter minus brain damage?

3 posters

Go down

Is there a such thing as a fighter minus brain damage?  Empty Is there a such thing as a fighter minus brain damage?

Post  Frank Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Honest question. I know that the I've always felt that repeated punishment to the "frontal lobe" (Where the "Super Ego" lies, and is in charge of moral decisions) can lead to dangerous and criminal behavior. This could account for a great deal of fighters having trouble with the law.

Is is possible for a fighter to retire with no brain damage? Meaning that if he took a test at the "Mayo Clinic" there would be no grey matter on the brain (A sure sign of repeated concussions.) ?

Frank

Back to top Go down

Is there a such thing as a fighter minus brain damage?  Empty Re: Is there a such thing as a fighter minus brain damage?

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:38 pm

I suspect two things. First, I think you may have your first point reversed. It may not be that fighters have trouble with the law because they fight but that men who have trouble with the law also choose to fight.

On the second, I still think there is likely a genetic element to the brain damage suffered by fighters. There are too many guys like Jimmy McLarnin (60 fights), George Chuvalo (90 fights), Roberto Duran (100+ fights), George Foreman (80 fights), Jack Johnson (80 fights), Joe Jeanette (90 fights), Jake LaMotta (100+ fights), Carmen Basilio (80 fights), Benny Leonard (100 fights) and I can go on and on for it JUST to be blows to the head.

Having said that, boxing doesn't IMPROVE anyone's neurological function is my guess.

Back to top Go down

Is there a such thing as a fighter minus brain damage?  Empty Re: Is there a such thing as a fighter minus brain damage?

Post  Frank Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:41 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:I suspect two things. First, I think you may have your first point reversed. It may not be that fighters have trouble with the law because they fight but that men who have trouble with the law also choose to fight.

On the second, I still think there is likely a genetic element to the brain damage suffered by fighters. There are too many guys like Jimmy McLarnin (60 fights), George Chuvalo (90 fights), Roberto Duran (100+ fights), George Foreman (80 fights), Jack Johnson (80 fights), Joe Jeanette (90 fights), Jake LaMotta (100+ fights), Carmen Basilio (80 fights), Benny Leonard (100 fights) and I can go on and on for it JUST to be blows to the head.

Having said that, boxing doesn't IMPROVE anyone's neurological function is my guess.
Good points. However, I'd have to hang around the group of guys you pointed out to make sure they didn't suffer from brain damage. Tyson has it (This comes from a good source) but that damage isn't evident in interviews. Floyd Patterson had it (Couldn't recall his wife's name at times.) but there was no evidence of it in front of the cameras. No anti - boxing thread here. LOL: I always have and always will LOVE boxing. Men make their own decisions and they must be responsible for them.

Hell, wouldn't it be great if just one fighter became smarter as a result of a beating. Just one. Some guy goes in with a 3rd grade education and comes out a rocket scientest.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:59 am

frank i like the rocket science thing..as marble pointed out several fighters were law breakers for years as a youth before boxing.tyson continued that pattern patterson did not..ali floyd patterson and ill agree a bit on tyson bowe and perhaps mosley and now camacho sr are effected with damage..but i think any bad boy tendencies is a result of character that didnt change as opposed to patterson who did..lamatto is about 89 and sharp as a tack .graziano was fast wit.both like patterson went from bad to decent guys..basilio is in his 80s and untill a year ago sharp fast wit etc etc dementia is developing but its age related not fight related...its a good presentation of an idea but theres too much evidence to disprove your therory...anyway your topic is appreciated cause there was csome good thought put into it.

Back to top Go down

Post  captainanddew Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:03 am

Shane Mosley needs to retire. If you listen to him speak and listen to videos from 5 and 10 years ago, the difference is startling. The tongue is rather heavy. He has a pronounced pause to compose his thoughts.
captainanddew
captainanddew

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:22 am

dmar5143 wrote:frank i like the rocket science thing..as marble pointed out several fighters were law breakers for years as a youth before boxing.tyson continued that pattern patterson did not..ali floyd patterson and ill agree a bit on tyson bowe and perhaps mosley and now camacho sr are effected with damage..but i think any bad boy tendencies is a result of character that didnt change as opposed to patterson who did..lamatto is about 89 and sharp as a tack .graziano was fast wit.both like patterson went from bad to decent guys..basilio is in his 80s and untill a year ago sharp fast wit etc etc dementia is developing but its age related not fight related...its a good presentation of an idea but theres too much evidence to disprove your therory...anyway your topic is appreciated cause there was csome good thought put into it.
I agree with your thread, dmar. For the most part, I was asking an honest question. You never really know who's going to get damage and who could become a talk show host after their career. Look at Wilfred Benitez and George Chuvalo. We've discussed this before. I never would've predicted either guys condition. Chuvalo is sharp enough to be a tv personality. Benitez is a tragic figure.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:30 am

frank i see what you are saying and agree..its a differnt perspective though over the criminal elliment..long term effects i guess take time to show up..jerry quarry is a example like benitz..a tradgety.

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:33 am

dmar5143 wrote:frank i see what you are saying and agree..its a differnt perspective though over the criminal elliment..long term effects i guess take time to show up..jerry quarry is a example like benitz..a tradgety.
Dmar, I think the reality of the situation is that the brain is "No Man's Land." I'd imagine any honest neurologist would tell us that.

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  flapanther2001 Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:20 am

What the kcuf areyuse guyz talkin about, I had 80somethin fites and I aint got no drain bramage.... albino
flapanther2001
flapanther2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:38 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:What the kcuf areyuse guyz talkin about, I had 80somethin fites and I aint got no drain bramage.... albino
Laughing

Frank

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down